The New World-An OD&D/OSR Play-By-Post Campaign (Interest Check)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Doc Sammy

White Trash Weeb
Reaction score
In 1607, we sailed the open sea
For Glory, God, and Gold and the Virginia Company!
For the New World is like Heaven
And we'll all be rich and free!
Or so we have been told by the Virginia Company

On the beaches of Virginia
There's diamonds like debris
There's silver rivers flowing
Gold you can pick right off a tree!
With an ounce of gold for my sweetheart
And another one for me!
And all the rest will go to the Virginia Company!

For Glory, God, and Gold and the Virginia Company!

Alright, this is the recruitment thread for my Play-By-Post campaign titled The New World which shall be hosted on this very forum. We are using OD&D by way of the retro-clone Full Metal Plate Mail, which can be downloaded for free in PDF form at Lulu. Link is provided below.

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/leonaru/full-metal-plate-mail-pdf/ebook/product-22104623.html

The setting is a combination of fantasy, adventure, and fictionalized history. It is the year 1607, and you are employees of the Virginia Company of London, chosen to take part in the expedition to establish a colony in the New World and you have just landed at the site of the new settlement, named Jamestown in honor of King James I. But this is not quite our Earth.

This is a world of magic and adventure. Arcane magic itself is an academic pursuit requiring devoted study while divine magic is a blessing granted by God (and any other deity for that matter!) to those chosen by divine providence. Humans are the only major sapient race in this world, and non-human races are fairly rare and reserved solely for rare and specialized NPC's.

The campaign will take place in the newly established Virginia Colony, starting in May of 1607, with an end date of January of 1633. Players are limited to being Humans, but can be Fighters, Magic-Users, or Clerics and be of any age, gender, or background. This is a fictionalized fantasy version of the 17th Century, so historical accuracy is not a priority. For example, a player who wants to be a female cleric can be a Christian priest or minister, despite this not being a thing in the real world during the 1600's. Firearms are allowed and do exist in this setting, but we're only allowing the kind of guns that were actually around in the early 1600's. Black powder firearms are expensive and have limitations, and most starting PC's may not be able to afford them. Only Fighters are proficient with firearms.

This campaign is a sandbox campaign emphasizing survival, acquiring treasure and supplies for the colony, and wilderness exploration. Players will explore the wilderness of the Virginia Colony with Jamestown serving as an initial home base. In this fictionalized world, the New World is a combination of elements from the real-life woodlands of the Eastern United States and stuff you would find in a Lost World or traditional fantasy setting. Monsters and treasure are to be found in the New World, but a lot of early encounters will be with wild animals, pirates and rival colonists from Spain and France, and possibly Native tribesmen if you manage to wrong them or otherwise royally piss them off (negotiating with the Natives and generally keeping the peace goes a long way. You help out the locals, and they'll help you out!). However, more fantastical monsters are present, but rare at low levels. As you progress in rank, they will become more common. All players start at Level One when the campaign begins.

Factions play a major role in this game, with all PC's starting out in the Virginia Company of London faction. Your actions in-game can impact your reputation not only with your faction, but other factions as well, such as the Powhatan, the Iroquois, the Lenape, the Kingdom of England, Spain, France, the Church, and other factions as well. Reputation will play a major role in the game, especially as you level up.

It is most likely that your character is British, presumably of English origin, but you are not limited to such a background. Your character can come from other nationalities or ethnic backgrounds as well. In real life, the Virginia Company employed craftsmen and artisans from Germany and Poland to be part of the Jamestown expedition. So if you want your character to be a mercenary, contractor, craftsman, or other employee of the Virginia Company of London who comes from another part of the world, that is perfectly fine. You're not just limited to Europe, either. I will allow PC's hailing from the Middle East or East Asia as well, depending on their backstory. So, if you want to be an Islamic cleric from the Levant or a ronin samurai from Japan, you can! Again, I am not stressing historical accuracy as this is a fantasy adventure! That being said, all PC's are subject to DM approval by me, regardless of class or background.

Native American PC's are not allowed at first, but as the campaign progresses and more supplementary material is included along the way, I will allow Native PC's.

Once again, all PC's start at Level 1 and can progress from there! At higher levels, players can receive charters from the Crown of England, the Virginia Company, and other colonial powers such as Spain or France, and then form their own colonies in a manner similar to traditional OD&D stronghold building.

Last edited:
Not specifics. I’d probably keep with the “most likely British” idea and hone that depending on ability scores/class.

I wish I had the time to play! A Puritan cleric wearing plate and swinging a warhammer under the black cloak and hat... serious Solomon Kane material.

I can't wait to get this going. This will be the first Play-By-Post campaign I have ever ran and I'm really excited for it!

:smile:
Need an English Rifleman?

You can Roll my Stats and give me a basic Quickstart Gear:

armor: at least leather, and whatever Virginia Company may loan out.
weapons: rifle, bayonet attachment, hatchet, short sword/machete, club, knife,
gear: backpack with standard outdoorsy gear (blankets, pot, pan, hammer, spikes, penknife, chisel, sew kit, whetstone, string, extra sacks, tinderbox/steel&flint, candles, spare rags, canvas, tent pole, etc.)

I'll just pick a name, look, & personality and then we can get straight to playing. ;)

Last edited:
:smile:
Need an English Rifleman?

You can Roll my Stats and give me a basic Quickstart Gear:

armor: at least leather, and whatever Virginia Company may loan out.
weapons: rifle, bayonet attachment, hatchet, short sword/machete, club, knife,
gear: backpack with standard outdoorsy gear (blankets, pot, pan, hammer, spikes, penknife, chisel, sew kit, whetstone, string, extra sacks, tinderbox/steel&flint, candles, spare rags, canvas, tent pole, etc.)

I'll just pick a name, look, & personality and then we can get straight to playing. ;)

Alright! I'll PM you the stats once I roll them.

I’ll be offline for a week. Just fyi in case things start percolating and I’m silent.

One more sign-up and I can start the campaign proper. I may move all campaign assets to the OD&D 74 ProBoards site though, as I am also running the campaign there as well.

Are you rolling our characters? I'd like to make an English Arcanist, an impoverished scholar who wasted his time at university scouring every grimorie he could get his hands on rather than studying law as his family had hoped.

I'm rolling the basic stats for them (ability scores, hit points, and starting wealth) and then you fill in the rest.

I do like your concept, by the way.

Sorry if this has stalled, I've been tied up with some real-life stuff over the past three days and I'm waiting for more players. I'll resume work on this campaign today though, and I will make sure this game keeps going!

I have an idea for a character and would love to join. Just wanted to check and see if there is room available.

I am new to the site, but I've played on some of EF's older sites.

There is room available, the game has not started yet

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back