Warhammer Fantasy/40K RPG Megathread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
So far only the vaguest of news, apparently the official announcement is May 27th, coinciding with Warhammerfest:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...ifferent-licensed-products-at-warhammer-fest/

This was posted by Cubicle 7 Entertainment on their Facebook page: http://imgur.com/a/YlFHD

No telling yet if this is going to be Old World or Age of Sigmar, but if the former I'll be interested to see what Cubicle 7 does. I was highly impressed by their Doctor Who game, and the Lord of the Rings game gets quite a bit of praise (I havent played it yet, but the art is very pretty at least).

I love The One Ring. I don't think my players took to it quite the same, though.

On one hand, I feel kinda like my Warhammer itch has enough options to scratch it. On the other, C7 does really good stuff.

Screen-Shot-2017-05-24-at-9.06.38-AM.png
Oh boy - typography from hell.
The message itself is ... interesting.

I think it's good that they're ditching WFRP3 for something closer to its predecessors, and I wish the C7 crew all the success. I don't really play any of their games but I have the impression that they do a good job with their licences.

But at the risk of sounding like a total fanboy (especially after Zweihander's post) — Zweihander does such a great job of streamlining the mechanics, filing off decades of GW-mandated canon (amazing how fresh it all feels beneath the cruft) and getting the original WFRP aesthetic right, that I'm likely to stick to it unless C7's take is absolutely stellar.

Hmm, maybe this is my opportunity to finally run this world instead of ripping it off.

... or put the world at the fore of The End Times.

Sick and tired of the end times. Luckless lords and lackeys luridly losing legs while looking for the loot of lizards in Lustria is all the gritty drama I need.

My only regret was not approaching GW licensing prior to my Kickstarter.

It was for the best. It freed you from having to adhere to established setting canon and/or possibly GW licensee guidelines.

Hmm, maybe this is my opportunity to finally run this world instead of ripping it off.

Did it once. It's more fun if the players are involved with the continuity via WFB, and/or the novels, which personally I'm not. I prefer the grit, grime and exaggerated Medievalism of WFRP1.

As for End Times, an ideal set-up would be like Shadow of the Demon Lord's — here's the bad stuff that happens as the apocalypse approaches. An End Times toolbox, if you will, for GMs to deploy only if and when they want.

Yeah I think that Zweihander and 3e will scratch my itch.

I do love Cubicle 7 though. We'll see!

It's a wait and see for me... I've still got what I need for 1e/2e... but it would be nice if 4e is compatible.

Interesting. If they really hew closer to 1st and 2nd editions I might pick it up, so far I've really enjoyed their work with The Lord of the Rings though I'll be damned if I can get a group together to play The One Ring.

Sick and tired of the end times. Luckless lords and lackeys luridly losing legs while looking for the loot of lizards in Lustria is all the gritty drama I need.

I ran this a lot back during 1st Edition, and I agree. The best supplements they did were Death on the Reik and Warhammer City (the Middenheim book), which gave you rich settings for the players to wander around in, getting into trouble. They were both part of the larger Enemy Within campaign. It was great campaign, but its best moments were the smaller scale shenanigans, not that part about saving the world.

I'm fine with Chaos cults scheming in the shadows. I just don't want the Apocalypse to be nigh, with dark gods rising and the Chaos Hordes sweeping in. That stuff is fun in the mini game, but it isn't what the RPG does best.

What's wrong with the logo. It's the Hogshead WFRP 1e logo with the later Warhammer logo at the top.

You just nailed it. They cut the top off of one logo, and stuck another logo on top. It's just kind of half-assed.

Screw the Storm of Chaos, Fuck the End Times with a Plague Censer, we all know what happens...the most idiotic setting change possibly imaginable.

I'm sure they'll have to do post-Storm of Chaos though, GW wants to keep selling all those idiotic End Times HQ figures.

For some reason those silly mohawks on the dwarves always rubbed me the wrong way. I hope they'll do away with those.

I'm finding I don't really have much hope for it... it's like hearing of an upcoming remake of a classic movie. You just know they're going to cram in some pop star celebrity and juice it up with current trends and LOTS more CGI spectacularness.
Plus, I can't imagine the GW license allowing them to ignore the marketing of current GW products.

I'm finding I don't really have much hope for it... it's like hearing of an upcoming remake of a classic movie. You just know they're going to cram in some pop star celebrity and juice it up with current trends and LOTS more CGI spectacularness.
Plus, I can't imagine the GW license allowing them to ignore the marketing of current GW products.

I get what you are saying. There was such a strong, specific flavor and sense of humor to the early WFRP products. It is a real challenge to try and recreate that.

I get what you are saying. There was such a strong, specific flavor and sense of humor to the early WFRP products. It is a real challenge to try and recreate that.

Especially given the humor-ectomy that has been performed on both Warhammers in the past 15 years or so.

Still, I saw flashes of the old gallows humor in the various 40k RPGs, so there is hope. I liked the Rogue Trader sidebar about the group of astropaths who destroy their own masterpieces to generate the emotional trauma that gives their inter-spatial messages that extra zing of clarity. And naturally stories about imperial guard (sorry, "Astra Militarum") supply deliveries landing on and crushing the very troops they are supposed to help while the speechifying commissar doesn't even skip a beat are always good for a chuckle.

Now it look like Cubicle 7 are also going to produce an Age of Sigmar RPG: http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-roleplaying-game-announced/

This seems to be in addition to WFRP!

I love this quote from the press release: "Dominic McDowall, Cubicle 7 CEO said, “The Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting is fantasy at its most imaginative. The Mortal Realms are fascinating, highly evocative and hold endless possibilities for roleplaying. I am enormously excited to explore them with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game!”"

Mr. McDowall must be the one of the few to have that impression of Age of Sigmar.

I don't envy anyone trying to make a consistent gameable setting out of AoS

Now it look like Cubicle 7 are also going to produce an Age of Sigmar RPG: http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-roleplaying-game-announced/

This seems to be in addition to WFRP!

I love this quote from the press release: "Dominic McDowall, Cubicle 7 CEO said, “The Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting is fantasy at its most imaginative. The Mortal Realms are fascinating, highly evocative and hold endless possibilities for roleplaying. I am enormously excited to explore them with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game!”"

Mr. McDowall must be the one of the few to have that impression of Age of Sigmar.

Or Games Workshop required it, and he's putting on a good face about it. Probably more effective than "Oh, GW's deal is forcing us to release this at gunpoint, so please buy it so we're not wasting money".

I am excited to see what they can do with Age of Sigmar on the tabletop. It is a very evocative setting, and not simply because it takes place in the Warhammer universe.

That being said, there doesn't seem to be strategic, long term vision if both lines reference a different ruleset. This is where Fantasy Flight Games dropped the ball with Dark Heresy, Only War and Rogue Trader: the games were almost wholly incompatible with one another, despite sharing the same dice mechanic.

Well, that vision might well be for two different lines. It could be that Age of Sigmar is the one C7 was really going for, and 4e is their olive branch to try to help bring in all the Warhammer fans who were going to take a massive dump on them. Or, as mentioned in my last comment, maybe Age of Sigmar is an obligation of the contract.

From what it sounds like, Age of Sigmar wouldn't have translated very well in anything resembling the classic Warhammer system, and announcing just it without 4e would have sent folks a-raging.

At least three I've seen. Interesting strategy. On the one hand, I can see the "Buzz is Buzz" argument and "Rising Warhammer Tide raises all boats" kinda deal. I could also see "There's a new WFRP coming, so there's no need to buy a clone right now." Could work both ways, especially since C7 specifically said they're looking at WFRP1 and 2 for inspiration.

Hmm, C7 is doing both, the Warhammer Fantasy RPG and an Age of Sigmar RPG.

I had hoped that Age of Sigmar was a different IP entirely, unless they paid for both, or GW did a twofer, it looks like "Warhammer Fantasy" might include Old World and Age of Sigmar. Bummer, I was hoping they would be separate IPs so the Old World could forget Age of Sigmar ever happened and have it not be simply the inevitable future of the Old World.

From what I've read they are going to be separate games with different systems

Which makes me happy

From what I've read they are going to be separate games with different systems
Which makes me happy
Yeah, definitely better as two completely different games. I wonder if Age of Sigmar was a requirement (if you want Old World, you have to do AoS) or if they came together in some package deal or if C7 specifically bought two separate licenses. Jon Hodgson plays AoS.

That's good that you're gonna keep going. Even if the C7 deal turns out to be worse for your RPG business in the long run, at least you did it, you got it out there. Plus, if they keep it roughly compatible with the original WFRP engine, then there's worse things than being kinda sorta the first 3PP for the new WFRP. :grin:

I got a friend the .pdf, he was thinking of using a WFRP system for his homebrew world, now he's looking at Zweihander as one of the options.

I certainly don't think a new edition is necessarily going to hurt a retroclone. It's possible that the new edition won't be that close to 1E and 2e, marketing aside, leaving a market for the retroclone. It's also possible that it will close to the original. Then a retroclone provides a nice backdoor for people to make supplements for it outside the official umbrella.

It's not like the success of 5E has taken much steam out of the D&D OSR.

The endgame, however, was to make a free-to-play OSR d100 product that anyone can get their hands on, hack up, slash apart and make into their own campaign... all under the auspices of Creative Commons License. (...) At best, Zweihänder is OSRIC for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but flexible. Play Darkest Dungeon with it; play Witcher with it; play Thirty Year War with it; play The Black Company with it; make up your own world with it; and yes, play Warhammer with it.

That's the main draw for me. Hell, I'm actually at a loss as to what setting to actually run it with!

Kudos for your work with Zweihander. I admit I was initially skeptical, but it's a labor of love and it shows. And a good game, to boot.

I've already got a killer supplement we're playtesting (which will bridge the gap for Magick of Slaneesh/Nurgle/Tzeentch/Malal/Old Ones, vehicle combat, "downtime", realm management, a Bloodbowl treatment and more).

What are you doing posting here? Get back to work! *cracks whip*

I got a friend the .pdf, he was thinking of using a WFRP system for his homebrew world, now he's looking at Zweihander as one of the options.

Interesting! What's your friend's setting like?

Oh, a Black Company campaign with Zweihander, now there's a thought.

I'd pitch that, but we already had a wildly successful Black Company-inspired Castles & Crusades campaign a few years back.

Right now I'm thinking of something that feels as Old World-y as Zweihander's Goth Moran setting, only with bits from ASoIaF, Diablo and The Witcher. Still vague and embryonic.

Screw the Storm of Chaos, Fuck the End Times with a Plague Censer, we all know what happens...the most idiotic setting change possibly imaginable.

I liked the End Times in and of itself, except for two things: the totally bullshit revelation regarding the elves and the Skaven Stormfiends ("rat Space Marines"). Otherwise though, at the time I was really hoping Warhammer 9th Edition was going to be set in The End Times, as a centuries long period of time. The End Times novel Rise of the Horned Rat was one of the best licensed fantasy fiction novels I've ever read in my life (and not just because it featured Skaven, it had an astoundingly well-rounded exploration of Skarsnik, Mannfred Von Carnstein, and the dying dwarf kingdoms). The Lizardmen getting in contact with the Eldar for an off planet escape plan? Clan Skryre blowing up one of the moons to create a shower of Warpstone ("Cheese")? The resurrection of Nagash, and his overthrow of Settra and then betrayal by Mannfred? All great stuff, and so full of deadpan humour and over the top that it reminded me of the glory days of 3rd edition where anything could happen in the setting and ultimately everyone was frelled. There's way more that could have been done in that perpetual Armageddon instead of fast-forwarding hundreds of years to the end and blowing up the setting.

That said, I'm thinking of the Wargame there. The RPG is much better set during the time before everything went crazy, when human civilization is at its peak with the Renaissance/Age of Exploration parallels, and Chaos is a subversive threat.

Last edited:
The RPG is much better set during the time before everything went crazy, when human civilization is at its peak with the Renaissance/Age of Exploration parallels, and Chaos is a subversive threat.

I like the idea of setting a campaign as the world ends, but most published implementations are lacking. They require the willingness to really trash the game's setting. This is one thing Shadow of the Demon Lord does right.

I like the idea of setting a campaign as the world ends, but most published implementations are lacking. They require the willingness to really trash the game's setting. This is one thing Shadow of the Demon Lord does right.

The biggest problem I think in doing it with Warhammer is that it completely changes the nature of the game. The original setting was deeply entrenched in the human kingdoms, far from any of the weirder or more outlandish stuff which is the focus of the wargame. WFB dealt with mass battles with huge monsters, outlandish weapons of war, and the sort of creatures one only encountered outside the safety of the civilized world. and End Times game would bring all that to the forefront, which is great for a wargame , but less compelling for a street-level rpg IMO. The RPg wasnt about Karl Franz on his Hippogriff or the Necrarchs of The Tomb Kings kingdoms, it was about rat-catchers with small but vicious dogs, street charlatans, and pit fighters, and was richer for it.

The biggest problem I think in doing it with Warhammer is that it completely changes the nature of the game. The original setting was deeply entrenched in the human kingdoms, far from any of the weirder or more outlandish stuff which is the focus of the wargame. WFB dealt with mass battles with huge monsters, outlandish weapons of war, and the sort of creatures one only encountered outside the safety of the civilized world. and End Times game would bring all that to the forefront, which is great for a wargame , but less compelling for a street-level rpg IMO. The RPg wasnt about Karl Franz on his Hippogriff or the Necrarchs of The Tomb Kings kingdoms, it was about rat-catchers with small but vicious dogs, street charlatans, and pit fighters, and was richer for it.
It's the peril of trying to use the same setting for two entirely different types of games. It's like when Legend of the Five Rings was both a CCG and an RPG with the result of card tournaments being used to dictate the metaplot.

It's like when Legend of the Five Rings was both a CCG and an RPG with the result of card tournaments being used to dictate the metaplot.

That sounds awful. And I already find metaplots awful.

Reactions: OHT
Maybe it's a question of scale? "Regular" WFRP for people who want to be Rat Catchers and shit-covered camp followers. Age of Sigmar for those who want to leap off the back of a cyborg Hippogriff to drop kick Tzeentch in the face while sporting diamond-sparkling armor. Or whatever that game is about.

Disclaimer: this post was a poor attempt at comedy.

I would be all over wanting to leap off the back of a cyborg Hippogriff to drop kick Tzeentch in the face while sporting diamond-sparkling armor then get stuck playing another halfling tomb robber who is too afraid to go into tombs.

Isn't WFRP supposed to be satire?

Reactions: OHT
I would be all over wanting to leap off the back of a cyborg Hippogriff to drop kick Tzeentch in the face while sporting diamond-sparkling armor then get stuck playing another halfling tomb robber who is too afraid to go into tombs.

Isn't WFRP supposed to be satire?

It certainly used to be! I wonder when things changed? Nothing from GW seems to contain much humour lately.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back