What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Have you got the weird Zocci [sic?] dice yet?

That was my only issue with DCC...I'm just not real comfortable with dice apps at the table, and I didn't want to make everyone buy new dice (or buy multiple sets myself).

Yeah, every time someone mentions how awesome DCC is, the dice are almost always brought up and I think "oh yeah..." and then drop looking into it any further.

From what I've seen, I think one community set of funky dice at the table would be enough.
There are also simple workarounds using mainstream RPG dice.

From what I've seen, I think one community set of funky dice at the table would be enough.
There are also simple workarounds using mainstream RPG dice.

Those workarounds are listed in the book too.

There are also much cheaper version of the dice you need than the Zocchi version as well. The Zocchi ones are prettier, but I have less cool, but perfectly functional versions of all the dice made by Koplow. They are in the Who Knew set. It has everything but the d14, but you can just roll d20 and re-roll over 14.

Looks like Impact! has an approved set that actually includes all the dice. It's pricier than the Koplow ones, but still cheaper than Zocchi. Actually, it's a set with all the standard dice along with the funky dice, unlike Koplow, which is good if you insist on all your dice matching.

Still slogging through Enter the Abyss for 5e (just about to get to the library), and within a month of starting an AD&D campaign, though I haven't decided on a low level module as yet.

Still slogging through Enter the Abyss for 5e (just about to get to the library), and within a month of starting an AD&D campaign, though I haven't decided on a low level module as yet.
I'm playing through storm kings thunder, and frankly, it feels like a slog. I suspect it is not the module, but man, campaigns with several session out resolutions feel very slog to me. Like 3 max, then change in goal or focus. This was 5 to get us to the main plot point and I am just like... why

Currently creating an anime-styled Alternate History setting based on the American Civil War, having recently watched The Civil War by Ken Burns. I also read a lot of yaoi manga and fanfiction, so I decided to put two and two together.

Love, War, and Melodrama are all present in my upcoming game setting/homebrew game tentatively titled "The Red Badge of Yaoi". Players are assumed to be bishonen anime guys and can be either Union or Confederate. And yes, it is somewhat tongue-in-cheek,

To be honest, I'll never get how gamers who have bags of dice that 99.999% of the world will never know what they're for balk at paying less than a movie ticket for a few dice more.

To be honest, I'll never get how gamers who have bags of dice that 99.999% of the world will never know what they're for balk at paying less than a movie ticket for a few dice more.
Reminds of when Savage Worlds was new. I'd hear people talking about how getting something exotic like deck of cards was some impossible obstacle, like you couldn't just pick one up at the gas station on the way to a gaming session when you are ringing up the snacks you are taking.

After over a month of waiting, I'll finally be DM-ing a campaign of Adventures in Middle Earth at a local shop in Hull, Quebec. Pretty excited to run this, I have to admit.

Session One will be for getting to know the players, making characters and, if we have time, run a quick action scene to test drive the basic rules. Maybe do a Journey too.

After over a month of waiting, I'll finally be DM-ing a campaign of Adventures in Middle Earth at a local shop in Hull, Quebec.
That's definitely my favorite 5e product, it's one of the best D&D derived products ever.

Currently contemplating on if I should GM a Dungeon Crawl Classics game set in a homebrew setting or GM a Vampire: The Masquerade game set in 90's Chicago using the original First Edition rules and setting.

*Playing* in 3 5e campaigns all in the year+ range (2 roll20.net 3-4 hr per week in the evening, and a 10-12 hour in person game once a month. I run DCC adventures in the interstitial spaces of the scheduling conflicts, with occasional DW one-shotters. The cup is overflowing in a mostly positive way. I'd like to work some sci-fi into the mix, but don't have a sense of how that might happen yet

Last edited:
Had a Session Zero for Adventures in Middle Earth. A good group: some are very passionate about Tolkien but don't look or sound like pedantic nerds. They were really on board with the "themes" of the game.

Only problem is that the game sessions will be really short (from 6PM to 9PM, except when the store owner happens to feel like letting us stay an hour past closing).

Not a problem per se, but one player made just the right choices during character creation and, when fully equipped his PC has an AC of 19 (at level one). Thankfully, there are other ways to present problems for a party than how many orcs I can throw at them. But yikes, AC 19 is very high in 5e.

Not a problem per se, but one player made just the right choices during character creation and, when fully equipped his PC has an AC of 19 (at level one). Thankfully, there are other ways to present problems for a party than how many orcs I can throw at them. But yikes, AC 19 is very high in 5e.

Sounds like Legolas to me.

Welcome aboard Doom!

Currently my weekly group is playing Blades in the Dark with rotating GMs, and having a blast with it. I'm running Spellbound Kingdoms for my weekend group, but they didn't take to it very well, so I'm beginning a Chronicles of Darkness 2e mashup. We're also playing a DC Adventures game in this last one. PbP-wise, I'm trying a number of games at tBP.

Oh, and unfortunately I'm part of the RL drama The Butcher has mentioned.

I'm definitely planning a 1E Vampire campaign for my birthday tomorrow.

So, as little as I've been here I've also had very little chance for gaming for the last few weeks. In fact, besides a pick-up game of Warhammer Skirmish, nothing at all in the gaming department. My two main RPG groups are on summer vacation, and in August we have our annual 4 day weekend of gaming at a friend's cabin up in Whistler (that's the "Canadian Aspen" for those south of the border), but usually our gaming habits follow something akin to a typical school year. Generally, I do a lot of my prep work for upcoming games over the summer.

This summer, however, in what free time I manage (mainly during transit to and from school/work), I'm currently doing a ton of writing for my own game system. My goal right now is to have layout and everything done by next February, and then will be looking into maybe a small Kickstarter to fund a print run if I can get off my ass and start generating some interest (I should hire the Zweihander team, they know how to pimp a product). And speaking of, still working on my Zweihander review. Problem is, because its inevitably a comparison to WFRP, which was my first fantasy RPG (not counting a few gamebooks), waxing nostalgia tends to lead to massive tangents every page or two.

This summer, however, in what free time I manage (mainly during transit to and from school/work), I'm currently doing a ton of writing for my own game system. My goal right now is to have layout and everything done by next February, and then will be looking into maybe a small Kickstarter to fund a print run if I can get off my ass and start generating some interest (I should hire the Zweihander team, they know how to pimp a product).

"Any rough details you have to share about this game?" he asked, giving Tristram open license to shamelessly plug his game in the thread.

"Any rough details you have to share about this game?" he asked, giving Tristram open license to shamelessly plug his game in the thread.

I try not to talk too much about it, because I find I can fall into a sort of self-incurred psychological trap where it becomes a project I'm enthusiastically talking about, rather than working on, and because so much of it exists in potentiality rather than concrete form, insofar as my writing tends to take a nebulous form in my head, then another once I write it down, and then goes through about a diozen revisions as all the pieces coalesce together. That said, the elevator pitch is basically:

"Its been a millennia since Ragnarok, and the last great civilization is built upon the copse of Yggdrasil, the Once-World Tree. Beyond the great city-state of Rings, reality is in flux. With most of the Old Gods dead, new would-be gods and demons are waging constant wars to assert control over whats left of the realms, and recreate worlds in their image."

I try not to talk too much about it, because I find I can fall into a sort of self-incurred psychological trap where it becomes a project I'm enthusiastically talking about, rather than working on, and because so much of it exists in potentiality rather than concrete form, insofar as my writing tends to take a nebulous form in my head, then another once I write it down, and then goes through about a diozen revisions as all the pieces coalesce together. That said, the elevator pitch is basically:

"Its been a millennia since Ragnarok, and the last great civilization is built upon the copse of Yggdrasil, the Once-World Tree. Beyond the great city-state of Rings, reality is in flux. With most of the Old Gods dead, new would-be gods and demons are waging constant wars to assert control over whats left of the realms, and recreate worlds in their image."

An elevator pitch was all I was looking for. Sounds promising. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Doing a public AD&D event Saturday at Gods & Monsters again. A slice of Keep on the Borderlands, I think. Give the players some low-level characters, let them get the whole experience.

As it's been years since i checked it out, i've been looking at Pathfinder again. It actually looks cool enough now that i've ordered the pocket edition core book and advanced player guide. Archetypes are a really good addition and make me wonder what came first the pathfinder archetype or 5e subclass?

I'm finding enough imaginative content in the Pathfinder SRD (reminds me in a way of Rolemaster) to make me want to run a game!

Archetypes are a really good addition and make me wonder what came first the pathfinder archetype or 5e subclass?

I'm finding enough imaginative content in the Pathfinder SRD (reminds me in a way of Rolemaster) to make me want to run a game!

D&D3 is probably my least favorite edition, all things considered, but you gotta hand it to Paizo — they've done a bang-up job with it, especially when it comes to implementing character classes (not crazy about the complexity but love the flavor).

Reactions: OHT
D&D3 is probably my least favorite edition, all things considered, but you gotta hand it to Paizo — they've done a bang-up job with it, especially when it comes to implementing character classes (not crazy about the complexity but love the flavor).

That was one of my frustrations. I ran a lot of D&D and came to loathe it, but I found a lot of the content Paizo did to be inspiring. While 2rd Edition wasn't my favorite era for Dragon and Dungeon, I got a lot more use out them than the actual supplements of that time. It made me sad that when the rest of the world moved on from 3rd Edition, they firmly planted a flag and decided to live there forever.

Plenty of other people have fun with Pathfinder though, so I hope you are one of them, OHT.

Archetypes are a really good addition and make me wonder what came first the pathfinder archetype or 5e subclass?

I was browsing Pathfinder archetypes for ideas long before 5e, so Pathfinder was first. I think 5e did them better though.

EDIT: Wait, do 4e's paragon paths count?

I was browsing Pathfinder archetypes for ideas long before 5e, so Pathfinder was first. I think 5e did them better though.

The difference between the two is that the Pathfinder archetypes actually change the base class into something else. 5e archetypes just give you a new bunch of powers. I prefer the Pathfinder implementation tbh.

The difference between the two is that the Pathfinder archetypes actually change the base class into something else. 5e archetypes just give you a new bunch of powers. I prefer the Pathfinder implementation tbh.

Another important difference: 5e's archetypes are (usually) chosen around 3rd level or so.

I like the 5e implementation for most classes because it allows players to get a feel for their character and abilities in the first few levels before committing to a more specialized concept. This is obviously good for new players, but it's also surprisingly useful for many experienced players who benefit from more time to reflect on what they need as opposed to what they think they want.

It also reduces the number of choices you have to make at initial character creation, which is always good for reducing analysis paralysis, opportunity cost anxiety, and for just getting the fucking game started already!

It also reduces the number of choices you have to make at initial character creation, which is always good for reducing analysis paralysis, opportunity cost anxiety, and for just getting the fucking game started already!

Very true.

Well, this Sunday I will be running "Mr. Corbitt" to initiate a new player to the glory that is Call of Cthulhu. I always come back to that game (6th edition, currently). Don't know if it will be the start of a campaign or just one-shot.

Might be getting a long-term AD&D 1e campaign here at my house in the next few days.

I'm running a weekly RQ6/Mythras Luther Arkwright game on Roll20. Working on spinning up a Marvel Saga game there as well (card mechanism is fantastic), and trying to figure out how to make that game work in pbp. Sniffing around Feng Shui 2, but with TORG: Eternity in my group's collective hands, I suspect we will soon spend a ton of time there. :smile:

Love Mythic Britain -- been waiting for that game for 20+ years. :smile:

The Laundry and Doctor Who are on my shortlist for a pbp game.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back