1st Edition AD&D Livestream Gaming - To Castle Greyhawk!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Jamfke

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hey folks! I've started playing in a 1st Edition AD&D game with the thedungeondelver thedungeondelver every Tuesday. We've started out as an unlikely band of first level characters and are heading to explore Castle Greyhawk. We have myself as a Half-Elf Ranger, an Elven Fighter/Magic User, a Gnome Fighter/Thief and a Half-Orc Assassin. Strange mix, but thems the facts! In the last episode we spent the time getting hired by one Lord Robilar to head to the mythic castle to map out the upper regions of the castle and picking up whatever treasures we can find. He gave us a potion of healing in exchange for the promise to bring back the map and 10% of the loot. Of course, we signed the contract and I and the Half-Orc failed our saves against the Geas that locks us into making sure he gets his full 10%! We then gathered some supplies and then made our way to within a half day's ride of the castle, stopping at the Last Chance Inn where we took a rest for the evening and then ended the session there for the day. We're only playing about an hour each session due to time constraints of a couple of the players or we would go on a bit further.

Today's episode took us into the marshes on the way to the castle. We encountered a family of three Owlbears frolicking in the marsh and decided to avoid them and then moved onward. We stumbled into an old dragon's nest where another party had slain the creature and made off with the majority of its treasure. We found a few coins laying around and decided to use the nest as our camp for the evening. Taking first watch, I started hearing cries for help out near the edge of the wooded area we were in. Upon investigation I didn't see anything definitely and decided to double back to the camp to wake the others to assist. The Half-Orc had a few choice words and decided that he was going to remain near the fire. The Gnome agreed to follow us at a distance so he could get away as quickly as possible. The Elf decided to help me out. He had brought a couple of hirelings with spears to help us fight anything that we might encounter so he brought them along to investigate. When we got closer, the creature, a Leucrotta, revealed itself and charged us. The Elf and I drew our long swords and the hirelings leveled their spears. One of the spearmen scored a hit, the Elf hacked into the critter with a natural 20 and I rolled a 19. We did a combined total damage of 25 points in that first round and the Leucrotta failed its morale check and decided to run. I sheathed my sword and pulled out my long bow while the hirelings and the Elf took some stabs at the retreating thing. I missed, the others hit and finally killed the creature.

We made it through the rest of the night without incident and made our way to the castle walls by mid morning. We found a longhouse where we can fall back to after bumbling around inside the castle and heal up before returning. We ran out of time again, and will be entering the castle in our next session.

Here's the link to the YouTube playback of today's session if anyone cares to see how we're fairing: Crazy Game-Day Gibberish - LIVE!

I assume the Castle GH is a homebrew?

I assume the Castle GH is a homebrew?
I don't know if thedungeondelver thedungeondelver is running the game from the actual Castle Greyhawk supplement or if he's doing his own rendition, but he's keeping things fairly deadly so far. We're playing for fun and to give folks who are curious about original AD&D a glimpse of how the game operates.

I'm trying to play my character like I would have when I was just starting to play as a teenager, not knowing what I know about the monsters and the setting. I'm having a ton of fun so far as might be evidenced by the goofy chuckling I seem to be doing throughout both sessions. Having been a forever DM/GM practically from the start, I'm having a blast just playing the game now. I figure if my Ranger snuffs it somewhere along the line I'll roll up another character and find a way to jump back in if they'll have me.

This was fun to watch (well, technically, I mostly listened to it). I have to give respect to your group's focus while also keeping things fun.

This was fun to watch (well, technically, I mostly listened to it). I have to give respect to your group's focus while also keeping things fun.
Thanks. I think one of our players is sort of new to 1st edition and another one is refamiliarizing himself to the rules as we go. We're having a pretty good time so far. Just wished we could go on for another hour at least, but that's life.

About to see if we get creamed today as we venture back into Castle Greyhawk! Come and watch!

Tuesday livestream about to begin! Come and watch!

Our 1st Edition AD&D Livestream has moved to evening hours. 8:30 PM Eastern. Coming up in less than an hour, come and watch!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back