2023 Character Creation Challenge

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A Fiery Flying Roll Black Leaf Telok Telok Bunch Bunch those characters are very funny:grin:! Not sure how fun it would be to have them at the party, but fun to read, definitely.

Separately for Black Leaf - not familiar with the system, but the names of skills/stats make it quite clear what they're for:grin:!

Day 4

System :: Warhammer Fantasy Role Play
Version :: 1.0

I decided, before I retry the Soulbound, to give its totally random ancestor a go. My character is named Berthold Würfelmann (Groan! But it's in line with the WD humour from the time).

Built:
Race: Human
Height: 5'4" + (9) = 6'3"

M: (2) +2 = 4
WS: (13) + 20 = 33
BS: (14) + 20 = 34
S: (3) + 1 = 4
T: (3) + 1 = 4
W: (1) + 4 = 5
I: (9) + 20 = 29
A: 1
Dex: (12) + 20 = 32
Ld: (17) + 20 = 37
Int: (10) + 20 = 30
Cl: (14) + 20 = 34
WP: (18) + 20 = 38
Fel: (11) + 20 = 31

For Age, I chose an older character and the 6D10 gave me: 33
This means I get a +2 on number of Skills: (1) + 2 = 3
Fate: (1) + 1 = 2

With WS 33, BS 34, Int 30 and WP 38, I qualified for Warrior, Ranger and Academic. Let's pic an Academic this time.
Skill rolls:
(79): Silent Movement Urban
(52): Heraldry
(75): Ride

Trappings: a suit of leightweight clothes and shoes, a knife and (3D6) 9 gold pieces.

Let's roll a carreer now. Could I be a Druid? A Seer? A Wizards Apprentice? Nope, it's a (17) Artisans' Apprentice. No Spells.
With the same dice roll I could have been a Labourer or a Fisherman (or a Beggar except I didn't have the I 30 prerequisite).

Artisans' Apprentice
Advance Scheme: W +1, I +10, Dex +10, Cl +10
For my Free Advance, I take W
Skills: Drive Cart, (64) not Very Resilient and (73) not Very Strong either...
Trades: (23) Yes! (27) Carpenter!

Moar Trappings: Hand weapon (let's pick an Axe), Carpentry tools.

1672832583383.png

At 33 Berthold is still a bit of an underskilled labourer, without much enthousiasm for the rut he seem stuck in.

1672832552820.png
"Dammit, Berthold! Stop making those Daleks!"
The sheet is still mostly empty, but nothing a bit of XPs won't solve.

1672832995957.png

Ok, ready for adventure!

Early that morning, as Berthold was putting yesterday's barrels on display, an old man entered ye coopers' shope.
"Tell me, young man. Is your master available? I may have a simple task for him."

Last edited:
One reason why I'm going to focus mostly on free systems, or systems with free samplers.
For me it's a good reason to revisit 40+ years of hoarding. Get those old books from the attic and give them another spin.
Or check my D: Drive for the hundreds of pdf's, and select a few of the QuickStarts there.

Day 4

System :: Warhammer Fantasy Role Play
Version :: 1.0

I decided, before I retry the Soulbound, to give its totally random ancestor a go. My character is named Berthold Würfelmann (Groan! But it's in line with the WD humour from the time).

Built:
Height: 5'4" + (9) = 6'3"

M: (2) +2 = 4
WS: (13) + 20 = 33
BS: (14) + 20 = 34
S: (3) + 1 = 4
T: (3) + 1 = 4
W: (1) + 4 = 5
I: (9) + 20 = 29
A: 1
Dex: (12) + 20 = 32
Ld: (17) + 20 = 37
Int: (10) + 20 = 30
Cl: (14) + 20 = 34
WP: (18) + 20 = 38
Fel: (11) + 20 = 31

For Age, I chose an older character and the 6D10 gave me: 33
This means I get a +2 on number of Skills: (1) + 2 = 3
Fate: (1) + 1 = 2

With WS 33, BS 34, Int 30 and WP 38, I qualified for Warrior, Ranger and Academic. Let's pic an Academic this time.
Skill rolls:
(79): Silent Movement Urban
(52): Heraldry
(75): Ride

Trappings: a suit of leightweight clothes and shoes, a knife and (3D6) 9 gold pieces.

Let's roll a carreer now. Could I be a Druid? A Seer? A Wizards Apprentice? Nope, it's a (17) Artisans' Apprentice. No Spells.
With the same dice roll I could have been a Labourer or a Fisherman (or a Beggar except I didn't have the I 30 prerequisite).

Artisans' Apprentice
Advance Scheme: W +1, I +10, Dex +10, Cl +10
For my Free Advance, I take W
Skills: Drive Cart, (64) not Very Resilient and (73) not Very Strong either...
Trades: (23) Yes! (27) Carpenter!

Moar Trappings: Hand weapon (let's pick an Axe), Carpentry tools.

View attachment 53994

At 33 Berthold is still a bit of an underskilled labourer, without much enthousiasm for the rut he seem stuck in.
The sheet is still mostly empty, but nothing a bit of XPs won't solve.

Ok, ready for adventure!

View attachment 53993

Early that morning, as Berthold was putting yesterday's barrels on display, an old man entered ye coopers' shope.
"Tell me, young man. Is your master available?"
I wonder, can we introduce photography to the Empire somehow, and what would happen:devil:?

Day 4: Talislanta

Today's character is a little different. In Talislanta, you create characters by choosing an archetype's template, changing 2 points of attributes, and if the template allows for skill selection, make those selections. Then, you name the character and start playing. This character's customizations go further. You won't find this template in the game book. I had a concept for an apostate Aamanian Witch Hunter, so I took that archetype and made more significant modifications. Witch hunters have access to Invocation magic, which requires a patron - in this case, Aa. An apostate, I figured, would lose access to this magic, and would thus have to rely more on their martial prowess. He'd also ditch any religious implements and would begin to reclaim his individuality (Aaman's religion stresses being one among many, and strips people of their individuality).

This is the result.

Background:
Long ago, he followed the false god, Aa. He was favored of the Hierophant himself. He was a hunter of witches. Chosen.

But no longer. Now is name is first on the List of Injunction of every Hunter, every Inquisitor and every Warrior-Priest of Aaman. There is a special mark next to his name, signalling that he will not go to the House of Penance. He is to be killed on sight. He is a heretic, an apostate.

He has begun to reclaim his individuality. With the help of the witch folk, he has also regained his ability to grow hair. This he does in private defiance of the religion that once held him captive. With his apostacy came the loss of his right to magically invoke Aa - not that he would anyway. Instead, he now practices the Art of Mysticism and he finds that it suits him, though he still has much to learn.

Those followers of Aa who dare to track him learn with their lives that he is a hunter still. The Eye of Aa taken from each that falls to his blade, blinded and broken, and left for others to find.

Lately, he's been having dreams of Yrmania and the icy wastes beyond. He's grown restless, sick with a wanderlust that he cannot shake. And so, he makes preparations to leave the Witchwood that has until now been his place of refuge, and soon he will go north on a long journey he does not expect he'll return from.

-----

Ardreth the Heretic
Archetype: Heretic of Zanth

STR +1 DEX +0 CON +2 SPD +1
PER +2 CHA +0 WIL +4 INT +1

CR +3 MR +2 HP 22

Skills
Astrology +2
Doctrines(Orthodoxy) +3
Mysticism:
- - Attack +2
- - Defend +2
- - Influence +2
- - Move +2
- - Ward +2
Longsword +4
Oratory +2
Ride +2
Staff +1
Stealth +3
Tracking +3

High Talislan, native dialect

Equipment:
hooded cloak, leather armor worn over coarse woolen garments, boots (all green of deep, dark green, gray and brown), iron-bound spell book, longsword, pack, bedroll.

Apppearance: Cinnabar skin, sculpted features, deep green eyes, shoulder-length black hair, a short, trimmed beard.

Day 4: Talislanta

Today's character is a little different. In Talislanta, you create characters by choosing an archetype's template, changing 2 points of attributes, and if the template allows for skill selection, make those selections. Then, you name the character and start playing. This character's customizations go further. You won't find this template in the game book. I had a concept for an apostate Aamanian Witch Hunter, so I took that archetype and made more significant modifications. Witch hunters have access to Invocation magic, which requires a patron - in this case, Aa. An apostate, I figured, would lose access to this magic, and would thus have to rely more on their martial prowess. He'd also ditch any religious implements and would begin to reclaim his individuality (Aaman's religion stresses being one among many, and strips people of their individuality).

This is the result.
...you simply didn't want to play a quickstart character, did you:devil:?

...you simply didn't want to play a quickstart character, did you:devil:?
I guess not, lol. It was either him or the Blue Aeriad Ranger who fled his homeland because he hated being both worshipped and hated for actually having wings and being able to fly without the aid of Cymrilian bracers. Well, I say that, but the fact is he'll probably show up on this character challenge too. So, yeah.

Guys, do you want me to stick to Myriad song until I show you some of the SF species that I like, or would you prefer another wuxia character tonight, maybe in Qin or RBRB (the Osprey wuxia game):grin:?

Day 5 (ish. Won't be able to do one tomorrow)

System :: D&D
Version :: Rules Cyclopedia

I never played D&D (Basic any version); my first Dungeons & Dragons was AD&D 1e (my first rpg was The Dark Eye).
The only 'old' rules set I have is a pdf of the Rules Compendium, which I was told was good enought for anything up to Immortals, so let's see how fun it is to create an Old School Character.

Built:
Roll 3D6 for Ability scores
Str: 7 (-1) Attack, Damage, Open Doors
Int: 16 (+2) Language(s)
Wis: 10 (0) Saving throws vs. Spells
Dex: 11 (0) Missile Attack rolls, AC
Con: 16 (+2) Hit Points/Level
Cha: 8 (-1) Reactions

Prime requisites: it looks like I will qualify for MU. I'm just not Strong enough for an Elf.
And with Int 16, I will get a 10% xp bonus

Adjust Ability Scores: Nah, thanks. Trading 2-for-1 when my average rolls are already low.

Roll for Hit Points: 1d4 (2) + Con Bonus +2 = 4 hp

Money: roll (10) * 10 = 100 GP

Buy Equipment:
(no armor; proficient with daggers (and, at the DMs discretion, a staff and a sling)
Dagger: 3gp (1d4 dam ; twS ; enc 10)
Staff: 5gp (1d6 dam ; crw2HM ; enc 40)
Sling: 2gp (1d3 damage; range 40/80/160 ; cmwS ; enc 2)

I still got 90 gp left nu the rest of the gear will be bought as a group, so we don't end up with 1,000 climbing hooks and no lamp oil.

Attack Rolls, on page 106 I check the MU column, line 1-5. Up from 10 for AC9, to a THACO of 19, and then all 20's for anything lower than zero.

Spell: 1 at first level
Level Xp 1 2 3 1 0 1 - - 2 2500 2 - -

Spell Book: I select
-Sleep
-Magic Missile

Saving throws table
Level 1-5
Death Ray 13
Magic Wands 14
Paralysis/
Turn to Stone 13
Breath Attack 16
Rod/staff/Spell 15
1672849181650.png

1672849212376.png

Alright! Bring on that Cat!

Last edited:
System :: Star Ace
Version :: Original

Character 5
Star Ace Mack Brighton.jpg

Star Ace is a Pacesetter RPG (better known for the original Chill), and a fun space opera style game. In theory character creation is quick: Roll up 8 Attributes, Choose a Star Order, Choose a Race if you wanna, Pick 3 Skills, GO! The Star Orders are like classes, but are more like specialties where you improve more easily in certain kinds of skills: Fighty Skills, Technical Skills, Social Skills, or Psionic Power Skills. The orders and levels have a cards/poker kind of theme, so your character can be a Deuce of Spades, and a high level character might be an Ace of Diamonds or something.

Anyways, the game has a light vibe in a lot of ways, but there are a number of derived values and some number crunching that keeps the game from completely reaching the light nirvana it seems to aim for. I have a physical copy and would like to give it a shot sometime, but haven't yet. The idea with this guy I made is that he is about trying to hunt down bad guys who are on the run through space, so he can track them through whatever the game calls hyperspace, can make emergency repairs to keep his starfighter limping along so he can keep on the trail. I also like how this game gives everyone a starfighter and you're basically Star Rangers. Nice sci-fi pulp action vibes.

Guys, do you want me to stick to Myriad song until I show you some of the SF species that I like, or would you prefer another wuxia character tonight, maybe in Qin or RBRB (the Osprey wuxia game):grin:?
RBRB for me. I always like to see more variety.

System :: Convergence Point
Version :: 1.9

Day 4) Racheal Brown

All this set of characters are based on the "anime" of The Neo Frontiers. The full anime series The New Frontiers is not supposed to focus on any particular character but follows several characters throughout the course of the series. Although each one gets to be a star in one episode some just continue to follow their life. They are all interlinked around the high school "stage" characters. They will be at the level of when they first appear in the "anime".

Name: Racheal Brown
Core Trait: Alpha Student of The Neo Frontiers Era

Racheal is an Alpha, a genetically refined Human being. Her parents adopted her as a decanted baby. (Sure I wasn't freeborn, but that is no reason to put me in Synth class!). She developed quickly, as expected and excelled in sports. Other than being a bully and needing to show off how good she was, she is a fairly normal student growing up. (Esper Kids tend to be her bullying targets.) She is now enrolled in Unity High School as a Sophmore (she is a year younger, but she skipped 4th grade). She has been leading her school to athletic victories in most sports. She is a better athlete than even other alphas.

Appearance: A fairly well-developed teen ager, especially since she is 13. She has a mix of "ethnic features": Light tan skin, Asian eyes, a broader nose, and blonde(ish) hair. Her body is toned and athletic. She is tall nearly six feet.

Write Up Convergence Point

Name: Racheal Brown
Core Trait: Synth - Alpha Student of The Neo Frontiers Era
Lv 2 /EP Mod 1.45x (1.15+.4-.1x)

PHY 15 +5/9- "Athletic Body" "Resistant to Disease"
DEX 15 +5/9- "Fast" and "Faster Still"
MEN 14 +4/8- "Acute Senses" "Superior Hearing"
EMO 10 +3/7- "Dominant"
MPY 11 +3/7- "Synth Aura"
CHA 9 +3/7- "Exotic Features" "Honey Blonde Hair"
(Yes she rolled low on CHA)

Life Set: PHY+1 DEX+1, MEN+1 CHA+1 "physical description" Superior Strength+1 x3, Superior Speed +1 (2), Acute Memory, ) +.4x

Life Focus: ATH +PRF +COM -.1x)

Athletics +2 Track and Field, Soccer, Field Hockey
Performance +2 "Dance", "Guitar"
Combative +2 "Hand to Hand" "Pistol"

Developing /Expanding sets
Psych: Believes she is better than everyone and has to prove it (VCom B2)
Common for Alphas
Nemesis: Falcons - the cross town high school team. (B1)
Bully (common B1)

1) Simone Williamson Synth-zed Student of the Neo Frontiers Era
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/#post-389775

2) Kaede Tanaka Esper Student of Neo Frontiers
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/#post-389976

3) Kathryn Puppe Synth - Mekenoid/Ai Assistant of The Neo Frontiers Era
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/page-2#post-390222

Last edited:
Day 4
System :: Arcanum
Version :: 30th Anniversary Edition

NameAluri The Dark
RaceZephyr
GenderMale
ClassNecromancer(Single)
Height5'8"
Weight102 lbs
Age26
AlignmentChaotic Evil
BackgroundVillager
Renown3
Combat AbilityUntrained
Coin33 Gold
STR10
DEX15
SPD10
CON10
INT18
WIL15
CHA17
PER15
Hit Points10
Encumbrance50 lbs
Racial Abilities
"+=1 save vs CHA,PER"
"+1 save vs DEX(+2 flighing)"
Flight
Keen Eyesight (Fine Details 1 mile)
Necromancer Abilities
"+1 saves vs death(+1/2 lvls gained)
"+1 saves vs CHA
Literacy (background skills)
Patron of the Lower Planes
Spell Casting (Black Magic)
Turn Undead
Skills
Read Magic (100%)
Weapon(Short Bow)
Barter
Haggling
Spells
Arcane Bold
Circle of Darkness
Curse
Dark Omen
Detect Magic
Disguise
Evoke Spirits
Mists
Protection from Good
Summon Familiar

System :: Street Fighter

Character 6
SF Gregor Cain.jpg
My goal is to make the 31 characters this month, so I may run ahead (as now) or behind. Anyways, it was inevitable I'd do up a Street Fighter character. I love the game too much!

This guy is a rough and tumble garbage man that works in Metro City, where he has seen too much! Now he takes out the human trash causing trouble down town. He has a network of contacts, just friendly neighborhood people from his trash route. Also has a good boxing coach. He is a pretty decent all-around fighter I think. I didn't give him any combos and maybe the Head Butt wasn't worth it, but he's got options in a scrap. He was made for a "Metro City Punks" type campaign more than an "Interpol and World Travelers Fight Shadoloo" type campaign.

Street Fighter expects you to do up all of your moves on Combat Cards that get secretly selected and played during combat. A proper character sheet would have them listed on a sheet for review as well, which I did on a separate bit here. Ohh, somehow I messed up and you don't see he has the standard starting Health of 10. Oops!

Jan 5

System :: Zombie Survivor
Version :: an early testing edition

Last month Z ZombieSurvivor posted a game they're working on for feedback, also named Zombie Survivor. I made a character to test the combat system, and since I'm feeling lazy today I'm going to just post him, even though he got eaten by the slowest, dumbest, feeblest zombie type there is.

Behold, the late Dr. Gary Johnson.

Jan5_final.png

Jan. 4:

System: Art of Wuxia
Version: 1 (DWD Studios)

Figure I'll try same concept in a different system.

There's an option for random stat generation (5d10+30 four times, arrange by choice), so of course I'll do that.

Wu Ya Jian, Graceful Arrow Wu

Wu Ya Jian.jpg

Descriptors
Patient but crude.

Moral Code
Somewhat kind.
Totally focused.
Very selfish.
Very deceitful.
Totally brave.

Abilities
Str: 59
Dex: 68
Log: 46
Wil: 63

Skills
Alchemist (level 1): 33%
Detective: 22%
Diviner (unskilled): 0%
Leader (unskilled): 0%
Mystic (unskilled): 0%
Scholar (unskilled): 0%
Scout: 23%
Thief (secondary): 48%
Warrior of the One Hundred Flying Eagles (primary, level 1): melee 60%, ranged 64%.
Kung Fu Technique: Deadly Attack

Figured Stats
Initiative: 2
Move: 9
Body Points: 30
Qi: 3

The wise say that when you set out on a path of vengeance you should dig two graves. Graceful Arrow Wu will dig as many graves as it takes.

Although her father tried to teach her medicine, Wu Ya Jian simply didn't have the head for it. When soldiers of the Dragon Empire destroyed her village and murdered her father, however, she found her passion. She sought training from martial masters of kung fu, and took up the bow. She knows her quest for revenge will end in death, hers or the Emperor's, but she will find peace either way.

Random stat rolls went well until the last, which got dumped into Logic and left her rather below average there. That's a shame, since a lot of skills are based of Logic, but whatcha gonna do?

Moral Codes have to be somewhat, very, or totally, and are in pairs - kind/cruel, focused/unfocused, selfless/selfish, honorable/deceitful, and brave/cowardly. Wu is totally focused on revenge, and is willing to risk her (or anyone else's) life for her goal. She is very selfish since vengeance is all about what was done to her. She's very deceitful since she will do whatever it takes; the Emperor showed no honour in his treatment of her home, so why should she show any honour to him or his servants?

Finally, for the kung fu technique, she picked the one to start with that just adds damage. Nothing fancy, nothing defensive, just looking to deal out hurt.

SoManyRats SoManyRats - so, character gets below-average Logic, and you give her the Hurt Them A Lot technique...coincidence:shade:?

RBRB for me. I always like to see more variety.
Me too! Myriad Song just has very interesting aliens which I'd actually consider playing - especially the symbiotic/parasitic fungus that mindcontrols the scavenger whose head it lives on (and whose body it commands:devil:)!
But people have observed that I also kinda like wuxia...:grin:

So, by popular vote...of Bunch!
January 5 (slightly in advance, but I'm going to bed afterwards).

System: Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades by BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan
Version: N/A

Name: Tu Wanchou
(Name means Slaughter Myriad Enemies...what might he be known for?)
Male
Ethnicity: Han
Signature Ability: Master of Mimicry
Counter: Shifting Body
Resources: Wardrobe (Wealth and Property) & Fan of Dragon's Breath (obtained in exchange for his Deep Eccentricity)
Skills:
Defences: Hardiness 5, Evade 7, Wits 8
Martial Arts: Lightness Martial Arts 3, Internal Martial Arts 1
Specialist Skills: Medicine and Alchemy 2, Meditation 1, Survival 1, Talent 1, Trade 1
Unorthodox skills: Disguise 3, Drinking 1, Gambling 1, Theft 1
Mental Skills: Command 1, Detect 2, Empathy 1, Persuade 1, Reasoning 1
Physical skills: Athletics 2, Endurance 1, Muscle 1, Speed 2
Knowledge Skills: Institutions 1, Jianghu 2, People and places 1, Religion 1, Scholarly Arts
Eccentricity: Killer
Profession: Assassin (duh!)
Max Wounds 3, Level 1, Killing Aura 1, Killing Aura Darkness 0, Drinking Limit 1

Back-up character: Ah, so I actually remember this from this game:grin:!
Bio: Tu was raised as a circus performer, and trained by a master who was travelling in the circus and performing strength and agility feats. However, Tu was equally interested in the art of disguise, which he learned by everyone in the circus, especially the clown.
At the same time, Tu was lamenting how circus artists are never getting paid enough, "unlike all sorts of muscle-bound morons". Furthermore, he hated having to bow his head to people outside the circus, unless they were part of the Jianghu, or had earned his respect in another way.
His master overlooked what was happening even when people started dying wherever the circus was going, and that continued for months. But finally, the master put two and two together, and then he tried to kill Tu, but the young man flew away, refusing to fight his own master!
He returned at night, took the clothes he had assembled, and ran again, never to return. Then he appeared in Wheretheadventurebegins.
Somehow he acquired the Fan of Dragon breath along the way. Rumors say it was in possession of one of his victims; only Tu actually knows, and he ain't saying.

Notes: The character is able to pass himself as pretty much anyone else. He has a collection of clothingallowing him access to pretty much any attire. He's an assassin. When you attack him, he shifts away, using Lightness kung-fu (Light Step Qi Gung, actually, but who cares...) to avoid it.
Oh yeah, and he uses Fan of Dragon's Breath when attacked by up to 3 people. And he can leap 60 feet.
What more can you want:tongue:?

Last edited:
System :: Cadillacs & Dinosaurs

Character 7
C&D Russ Grady.jpg

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is a small GDW game, coming in at only 140-ish pages. The system is just a touch janky, but simple enough. The small size of the game, combined with the beautiful Mark Schultz art everywhere does a lot of work in making me want to give the game a short run. Here I've put together a fisherman. Characters are all the kind of folk that would be around in this Xenozoic Jungle Post-Apocalypse with Dinosaurs and Classic Cars. Skills are all about trying to roll under a value on a D10, and Attributes both act as entry requirements for the Careers and as soft caps for the skills that fall under them (points placed into skills rated higher than their governing attribute only count for 1/2 each). Tasks can be easier (multiplying your skill), so having a skill at 2 isn't necessarily as awful as it may first appear. The system doesn't blow me away but I love the setting, having read the comics and enjoyed the Capcom beat'em up (though I've never seen the cartoon).

System Stay Frosty
Version 2017 Core Rules

Lt. Adam Brubaker
Psi Ops

download.jpeg

Brains 10+
Brawn 9+
Dexterity 15+
Willpower 8+
Hit Points 9

PSI Powers
Mind Stab - Range Short, Duration Instant, 2d8 mental damage to an intelligent, living target. Empower -2 3d8 damage
Remote Viewing - Range Varies Duration 1 minute See a location known to you (personally, on a map, behind a wall, etc) but not within your line of sight. -1 to roll for every range category beyond Close
Telepathy - Range Long Duration Temporary Communicate mentally with an intelligent, living target even if you do not share a language. Empower -4 read the target's thoughts

(to use a power you roll against Willpower, in this case you need 8 or higher for the power to work. If a power has the option you can choice to "Empower" by rolling with the penalty, for example if I wanted to read a target's thoughts with Telepathy I'd have to roll 12 or higher. If you fail the roll you lose use of the power until you get 8 hours of rest. You can push a power to make a failed roll work by taking damage equal to the amount you failed the roll by)

Equipment
Back and Breast armor (1 pt)
Auto Pistol - 1d10 damage, short range, 1d8 Ammo Die, Agile (can be used in HtH combat without Disadvantage)
1 Ammo Die
1 ration
Combat Drugs - Advantage to Attack rolls, Temporary duration, afterwards Disadvantage on all rolls until 8 hours rest
Scope - increases range of Infantry Rifle 1 increment

I don't see BruBaker using the Combat Drugs or Scope but he can give them to someone else. You get to reroll one attribute which are generated 3d6 in order. I initially rolled 16 for Dex and on the reroll got a 15 :hmmm:

Some people like the Alien RPG, I like Stay Frosty, a lot. It started as a standard Black Hack hack but improved on the original where here you are always rolling high to succeed. It also has a neat Tension mechanic to simulate the stress of a combat environment. There are a few expansions out there.

Didn't have time to look at different systems, and feeling too fried to think up a character that requires too many selections. So Ima go with FASERIP again for a quick random one (rolls inside parenthesis)...

System :: MSH (FASERIP)
Version :: Advanced Set

Sparky (Jimmy "Sparky" Johnson)
Origin: Mutant (32)

Fighting: Remarkable 26 (72)
Agility: Remarkable 26 (78)
Strength: Remarkable 26 (77)
Endurance: Amazing 46 (87, +1 CS Mutant)
Reason: Remarkable 26 (78)
Intuition: Excellent 16 (48)
Psyche: Good 8 (37)

Health: 124
Resources: Good 8 (89, -1 CS Mutant, -1 CS for extra Talent)
Popularity: 0

Powers (62; 4/4):
Lightning Speed: Poor 3 (07)
Teleport: Remarkable 26 (67)
Electrical Manipulation: Amazing 46 (91)

(Selection Rolls: (18, 7; Lightning Speed, Teleport*), (34, 3; Electrical Manipulation))

Talents (22; 2/5):
Martial Arts B
Physics
Computers

(Selection Rolls: (36, 2), (68, 9 Physics, Computers)

Contacts (68; 2/4):
X-Men
One Pending (not sure what to pick)

Backstory: Jimmy "Sparky" Johnson was a computer nerd that used to get picked on at school, till one day his powers spontaneously manifested after he got electrocuted during a prank that his bullies played on him and he set them off flying with a swipe of his Remarkably strong hand, leaving them seriously injured. He later got kicked from school and everyone hates him (even more than they already did) for being one of them "mutants". He then got recruited by Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters with the hopes of turning his life around. Now he can typically be found at school's gym trying martial arts, in the hopes of joining one of the X-Men teams.

His powers are all electrically related. He can absorb electrical current, avoiding any damage from any but the most Monstrously powerful currents, can transform into a bolt of electricity and travel vast distances in an instant, and boost his speed with a burst of electrical current.

PS: Yeah, I really rolled that high (look at stats). One of the reason I prefer point-buy style or preset selection sometimes. Random generation feels like cheating. :trigger:

Dr. Alchemy's Elements

Argent Archer (Connie Morgan)
Drive: Guilt

Might: Spectacular Human
Agility: Spectacular Human
Toughness: Spectacular Human
Intellect: Exceptional Human
Knowledge: Exceptional Human
Willpower: Specatular Human

Power(s)
Super skill Archery: Spectacular Superhuman Ability
Trick Arrows: Exceptional Superhuman Ability

The Argent Archer's family was slain by a supernatural force of some unknown kind. She witnessed the terror and horrors as a child and sought out intense training all over the world in order to find a way to stop others from suffering under such nightmarish events. She had an immense talent for archery and honed that beyond any other mortal archer knowns. With Dr. Alchemy's assistance, she had added an array of trick arrows including Micro-Bola, Knock-Out Gas, Fire-Foam, Swing-Line Arrow, and Taser Arrow. In addition to silver and cold-iron-tipped arrows. She has become Dr. Alchemy's number two when it comes to hunting down supernatural and paranatural incursions into this reality, as well as turning her keen mind to assist in visiting those worlds and ensuring they abide by the numerous treaties and pacts forged by Dr. Alchemy.

Silverlion_female_superhero_silver_costume_brown_hair_using_a_l_534b8533-449a-43b5-8b3f-368dd3...png

Last edited:
Day 4

System: No Day To Die
Version: N/A
Publisher: Zozer Games

System Notes: This is a solo RPG for playing highly skilled superspies a la James Bond. It uses only a deck of cards for resolution, and for character generation as well.

Character Background: Queen (of hearts, though suit doesn't matter here), which is Royal Air Force (the game assumes the character is a British SIS agent).

Grit: this is equal to five plus the most numerous suit in a draw of four cards; I draw three diamonds and a heart. Since that's three of the most numerous suit, five plus three gives me a Grit score of 8.

Wit: same process as for Grit; this time I draw one of each suit, so one plus five gives me a Wit score of 6.

Hits: this is set at 6 and doesn't get a card draw.

Expertise: my agent gets four areas of expertise, which can be chosen or drawn. I go with the random option and draw a three, nine, Jack, and Ace, which correspond to Locks, Climbing, Piloting, and Gambling.

Flaw: I draw a three, which is Addiction to Drink.

Equipment is assigned by default, and Appearance is up to me to decide.

Name: Michael Evans-Burton
Background: RAF Intelligence Officer

Grit: 8
Wit: 6
Hits: 6

Expertise: Climbing, Gambling, Locks, Piloting

Flaw: Addiction to Drink

Physical Description: about 40 years old, 6'0", physically fit, dark brown hair with a silver streak, often smirks

Equipment: concealable pistol with 20 spare rounds, suit, briefcase, false identification papers (His Majesty's Diplomatic Service), suitcase, extra clothing, watch, pens, notebook, local currency, Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife

Backstory: Evans-Burton is a fomer Royal Air Force intelligence officer, who served for a number of years as a HUMINT operator working with assets in the field. He has seen action in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2000s and early 2010s, eventually leaving military life towards the end of the decade, when he was recruited by the Secret Intelligence Service. Evans-Burton is a highly capable agent with a knack for fieldwork, but takes time to enjoy the finer things in life as well when he can (especially gambling in upscale casinos). His main flaw is that he drinks to deal with unresolved trauma, something that has not yet affected his performance, but could potentially in the future. To date, he has managed to keep this hidden. He has yet to go on his first real solo mission, but in a dangerous world, that chance will likely come soon enough.

Day 4

System: Mutant Year Zero

Version: Starter Book

Template: Stalker

This is is the last of my Free League style games, but two more from the publisher are coming. It's pretty familiar territory: 4 abilities, by from the 12 skills, get a talent. Here, you get a free mutation as well. As for as the post-apocalyptic aspect goes, it's standard, good but nothing stands out. Scrounging for gear and mutations: Fight!

I have only the free version of the rules and it's very functional. The rules describe what you're supposed to be doing as well as how things work. Each character template has a page of chargen instructions, then a page of summary rules, enough for a casual player to jump in. The templates are all nearly the same, each getting a unique talent and a unique skill. It's about as good as others in the genre but I'd probably take this for a one shot as the free rules are enough for players to get into it.

Tula

Strength 3 Agility 5 Wits 4 Empathy 2

Fight (Strength) 1, Sneak (Agility) 1, Move (Agility) 1, Shoot (Agility) 3, Scout (Wits) 1, Know the Zone (Wits) 1, Find the Path (Agility) 2

Talent: Combat Veteran, roll an initiative roll with two dice instead of one. Use the higher roll.

Mutation: Extreme Reflexes. You have superhuman reflexes, and you can add +2 per Mutation Point spent to your initiative roll at the beginning of a conflict. You need to spend MP before rolling for initiative

GEAR: scrap rifle, D6 bullets, D6 rations of grub, 2D6 rations of water

System In The Light of the Setting Sun
Version Bonanza Edition

Moses Kleinhaus, 24 year old male
Background Cripple (I’m thinking he’s mentally crippled, yes I know that isn’t nice)

2ED3706E-B27F-44BE-B06A-7D8010808AAB.jpeg

Where is he from? A trading post where enemies co-exist

What’s his goal? I rolled high enough to get to roll twice and got: prove their worth on the battlefield and keep a dire secret hidden

What’s their secret? They have a lover in every town (I did not expect that!)

What’s in their pockets? A small silver medallion depicting a raging bull (maybe related to the lovers and why it’s a “dire” secret?)

What have they done? Burned a saloon to the ground (maybe this is the dire secret)

What will they do next? Shift their focus to another (he does have that list)

Iron 12
Reflexes 11
Wits 8
Luck 47 (this is a combo hit points and what is used to do things like search for secret doors)
Renown 17 (a meta currency)

inventory 12 slots (if he try’s to carry more his Luck immediately drops to 1)
We are going to use a random load out for his equipment, I rolled a 10 and got “vigilante “
Light Weapon I chose a black jack (d4) 1 slot
Canteen 1 slot
$12 dollars
Savage Revolver (d8) 1 slot
Viper Rifle (d10) 2 slots
Domino Mask
Tin Star
List of Names and Crimes
Box of Silver Cartridges 1 slot
I’m going to rule that the incidentals (cash, mask, badge, list) are 1 slot combined so that leaves Moses with 5 slots left

This is a standard roll under system with advantage and disadvantage. Distress and exhaustion are handled in a fun way, they are added to the inventory. Poker cards are used for initiative. Damage dice explode. There are rules for cover, explosives, injuries by body part, bounties, posses, duels, hirelings, hex travel, weather, hunting, and an intro adventure.

I think this is perfect for a pick up game or a convention and hope to run it this year. The random generators give you plenty of ideas to flesh out. I bought the hard copy from Exalted Funeral and it came with the PDF. It’s all of 44 pages.

Character 5
System: Maelstrom
Verson: Maelstrom Domesday

Name:Sister Grimhild
Racial Origin: Dane
Social Class: Peasant

Primary Language: Saxon
Secondary Languages: Norse, Latin

Attack Skill: 43
Missile Skill: 39
Defence Skill: 44
Knowledge: 72
Will: 76
Endurance: 40
Persuasion: 42
Perception: 39
Speed 43
Agility: 49

Imbalance: 11

Characteristics:

Arrow Eye (The character has an unerring feel for the flight of an arrow. If using a bow or crossbow, the character doubles the bonus normally received for aiming for a round before firing.)

Perfect Memory (The character can remember many details about almost everything she does and if literate can remember whole passages of text word-for-word. However, the character can also be somewhat absent minded about everyday life and may sometimes leave her house without boots on for example!)

Strong Grip (The character has very strong hands and holds very tightly to weapons and other objects. This reduces the chance of a fumble in combat by 2% (see Chapter 4). However, this strong grip also means that the character suffers a -20 penalty when using throwing weapons such as a spear, axe etc.

Skills

Religion 5 (Knows all Services, Exorcise Spirits, Ward Against Spirits, Preach), Farming 2 (+10), Education 3 (Latin, Mathematics, Astronomy, Logic, Law, Theology, Philosophy, +15 Knowledge Tests)

Background

Sister Brunhild was born into a peasant family in 1066, the same year as the ascension of William the Conqueror to the throne of England. Despite their Danish origins, her family have been integrated into Anglo-Saxon society for decades, including their faith. And Brunhild was a particularly pious childm able to recite passages from the Bible without problem. So it seemed an obvious decision for her to enter the church in 1079.

She's spent 20 years in the Church as a nun, leading to her being somewhat sheltered in life. After her training, she became a Novicemistress, training up the Novices in the nunnery (including Sister Hilda, later to become famous as Mother Superior of her own Monastery). It should have been a happy life, if not for the tragedy of the murders.

The murders started in 1084 and carried on through her time at the nunnery. Every year on the Winter Soltice a seemingly random nun would be found murdered in their bed. The longer this went on, the more insular and paranoid the nunnery got. Deeply caring about her novices, Brunhild started investigations. Clues were scarse, but after 15 years she thought she was getting close and waited at the bedside of the nun she thought would be targeted.

But the nun was already dead and there was Brunhild hilding by the bed! Blamed for the murder she was outlawed and forced to flee.

Peniless, she had no idea how to survive on her own. So is was like that she was found by representatives of Roger de Montgomery, who offered her protection and employment as an investigator of supernatural events. With little other future, she expected.

Sister Brunhild is a tall, stocky woman, with the blonde hair of her heritage. Despite her excommunication she still identifies as a nun and wears her religious habit when out on investigations.

Day 5: Swords & Wizardry

Name: Lei Jin
Class: Monk
Alignment: Law
Prime Attribute: Wisdom 13+
XP Bonus: +5%

Level: 1 Experience points: 0
Hit Points: 4 Saving Throw: 15 Armor Class: 9[10]
Gold: 120 Gems: 0 Other: 0

Attributes:
-----------
Str: 8 Dex: 11 Con: 11
Int: 10 Wis: 15 Cha: 12

Attribute Bonuses:
------------------
Bonus to Hit(str): +0
Open Doors(str): 1-2
Damage Bonus(str): +0
Carry Modifier(str): +0
Bonus to Missiles(dex): +1
Armor Bonus(dex): +1
Hit Point Bonus(con): +0
Raise Dead Survival(con): 75%
Additional Languages: 2
Max # of Hirelings: 4

Thieving Skills:
----------------
Climb Walls: 85%
Hear Sounds: 3 in 6
Move Silently: 20%
Delicate Tasks: 15%
Hide in Shadows: 10%
Open Locks: 10%

Class Abilities:
----------------
Charity: All treasure other than the bare minimum of what is needed to maintain the Monk and any followers must be donated to charities.

Magic Items: Monks cannot use potions; the only magic items they can use are weapons and magic rings.

Weapon Damage Bonus: Monks inflict an additional point of damage at 2nd level when using weapons, and this bonus increases every other level (+2 at 4th level, +3 at 6th level) up to a maximum of +5 at 10th level.

Deadly Strike: When the Monk’s attack roll is 5 higher than the required to-hit number, the target has a 75% chance to be stunned by the blow for 2d6 rounds. Moreover, the mystic perfection of the blow also has a 25% chance to kill the opponent, provided the opponent’s hit dice are no more than 1 higher than the Monk’s.

Multiple Attacks: When fighting without weapons, the Monk gains additional attacks during a single melee round.

Alertness: Monks are not easily attacked by surprise. A party containing a Monk is unlikely to be surprised, with only a 1-in-6 chance. Deflect Missiles: The Monk can deflect arrows and magic missile spells with a successful saving throw.

Gear:
-----
Simple, loose clothes

Background:
-----------
Jin's parents were traitors. Secretly, they were members of a dark and dangerous cult that sought to overthrow and subjugate the people of the fortress-city of Belukan that she knew as home. She didn't want to believe it at first, but it was true. Being true, it tore her family apart. She was the middle child in a family of five children. Her oldest brother, Feng, the one all the children looked up to, died getting herself, her other older brother, Dai, and her beloved younger sister, Wen, out of the city. Their youngest brother, Bao, had to remain behind.

The three who escaped stuck together for a time, but Dai never recovered from their eldest brother's loss. One night, as Jin and Wen lay sleeping, he left and never returned. The sisters, who were always very close and adored one another, vowed they would never leave the other's side.

Now the sisters harbor a deep resentment for their parents and the cult they follow. One day, they will return to the fortress-city they once called home and set things right. For the people they loved and left behind, and for Feng, who died doing what was right.

System :: Convergence Point
Version :: 1.9

Day 5 The J's

All this set of characters are based on the "anime" of The Neo Frontiers. The full anime series New frontier is not supposed to focus on any particular character but follows several characters throughout the course of the series. Although each one gets to be a star in one episode some just continue to follow their life. They are all interlinked around the high school "stage" characters. They will be at the level of when they first appear in the "anime".

Name: Jill and Jane The Jocks
Core Trait: Human Athletic Students of the Neo Frontiers Era

The Js are the other premier lower-classmen athletes. Jill and Jane are not sisters or anything, they just spend all their time together and play sports. (They have identical character sheets.) They live and breathe sports and think everyone else should too. They follow "their team captain" Racheal around most of the time. They don't need to bully people, but they think anyone not physically active is a waste of space. They pop in and out of scenes where Racheal or the girls are present, almost always in the background.

Write Up Convergence Point

Name: Jill and Jane
Core Trait: Human Athletic Students of the Neo Frontiers Era
Lv 3 /EP Mod .55x (1.05-.5)

PHY 12 +4/8- Strong
DEX 15 +5/9- Fast
MEN 10 +3/7- Dumb Jocks
EMO 10 +3/7- Competative
MPY 10 +3/7- Average
CHA 10 +3/7- Sandy Blonde Hair or Light Brown Hair

Life Focus: ATH +L-COM

ATH+3 Soccer, Field Hockey, Track and Field, Softball
L-COM+3 Martial Arts, Archery

CON+0 Athletes

Developing /Expanding sets
Psych: Disdain for non Athletes (B2)
Psych: Follow the Captain at all times (B2)

1) Simone Williamson Synth-zed Student of the Neo Frontiers Era
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/#post-389775

2) Kaede Tanaka Esper Student of Neo Frontiers
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/#post-389976

3) Kathryn Puppe Synth - Mekenoid/Ai Assistant of The Neo Frontiers Era
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/page-2#post-390222

4) Racheal Brown Alpha Student of The Neo Frontiers Era
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/2023-character-creation-challenge.8573/page-3#post-390574

Day 5
System :: Ruin Masters
Version :: 1st edition

NameSir Svart
RaceDwarf
Age25
Height151 cm
Weight64 kg
Social ClassNobility
Physique23"+1 Damage, 6 HP Healing
Mind24
Intelligence19
Charisma16
HP57
Head14.25
Arms14.25
Torso28.5
Legs19
Max Movement (m/t)6
Sword handLeft
Actions1
Funds170
Skills
Burgling34
Knowledge29
Magic26.5
Melee53
Social22.5
Survival31
Items
Ring MailAR 24
WT 12
C75
WarhammerAR 25
Damage 1d10
Wt 2.5
SC 10

System :: Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7e
Version :: Telok's rewrite

Ran the system for a year, hit up the jank bits, wrote/ran million trial simulations, made spreadsheets, produced PDFs with my personal version of the system that include advice appendices & dice rollers.

Hilt 2.0, a similar/related version of post73, gnome chosen of Khorn Chief Security Officer. This is a partially min/max starting build but not offensively so.

Stats: strength 2+1, dexterity 3-1, constitution 2, intelligence 1+1, wisdom 4 (attentive), willpower 4 (stubborn), charisma 2, fellowship 2, composure 1 (ok, so he's a bit fidgety and startles easily)

Skills: craft(int) 1, academic lore(int) 1, tech use(int) 2, medic(wis) 1, politics(int/wis) 1, weaponry 3, ballistics 3, pilot(int/dex) 1, drive(int/dex) 1, command(cha) 1, intimidate(cha) 3, persuade(fel) 1, scrutiny(cmp) 1

Backgrounds: mentor 1 (spelljammer captain), ally 1 (halfling mafia werewolf), contact 1, (tech-priest), inheritance 3 (machinator array - cybernetics)

Species: gnome, +1 int, +craft, +academic lore, any one weapon prof - basic (primitive, ordinary, brawling, and laser weapons), any one armor prof - light armors

Exaltation: chosen, power stat buying & effect is capped at half devotion score, if power stat is 2+ may lose 1 dot (can buy it back) instead of burning a hero point to survive certain death, spend 1 resource point to replace a rolled d10 with devotion score (not on alignment tests), while prusuing acceptable goals get +power stat to alignment checks, pay half price to raise devotion. Resource - faith, devotion+power stat, recover all 1/day with "a ritual". Power stat 1 ability - gain Aura (armor vs magic damage & raises target number of hostile spells to affect char) of 2x power stat.

Classes: mercenary (generic level 1 class), tactical officer (spelljammer officer track level 2), chief security officer (sj offc track L3). Note: merc & tacOffc have wp(basic) and ap(light) as required buys, and while level caps your power stat, magic, and sword schools it isn't doing much else.

Xp: 600 starter xp + 400 xp for a full load of hinderances. Big britches, overconfident, -1k0 wisdom social rolls, test wis 20 vs taking a fight/ challenge/ dare/ bet. Intolerance - sorcerers, +1k0 to insult/taunt, -2k0 all other socials. Wanted - dead or alive bounty, burned down a couple Tzeench temples. Loco, start with permanent derangement, motor tension - shakes & spaz, triggers on/over water more than 2m deep, 6- on d10 per scene, 5d10 minutes, halve physical attribute based rolls. 200 xp - learn language & +1 hp, exit mercenary for +2 hp. 300 xp, master of bombardment (better at orbial bombing), worf barrage (1/scene reroll crit effect on enemy ship), extracurricular study - iron heart sword school. Exit tacOffc for +1 crew quality vs boarding attacks & enter chief security officer. 100 xp Sturdy asset (+1 resilence). 100 xp Mark of Khorn chosen exalt asset - stone dragon (never learn magic, spend 1 resource point during all out attack to get an extra attack, learn a sword school & its always in-class for buying up). 300 xp 2nd & 3rd ranks of stone dragon sword school.

Gear: Hand Weapon (mace), Las Pistol, Knife, Quilted Vest, Bodyglove, Charm, book of Poetry.

Sword schools: iron heart 1 (ordinary weapons, aim & standard actions), stone dragon 3 (2 handed weapons, multi-attack & standard actions, max 3 points before needing to add limits). 7 freebie points to build special attacks -> standard attack, ordinary or 2hw, -2k0 to hit, -2k0 damage, +14 armor untill start of next turn.

Hp 15, resilence 6, ap body-3, defense 22, dodge 2k2, speed 5m & 30m run, perception 4k4, mental defense 10 (need to raise composure), resolve 5 (composure again), devotion 6 (Khorn), resource pt 7 & 1/day ritual for all, hero points 2 (think I forgot to write that on Hilt 1.0)

Fighty: las pistol 6k3, dmg 2k2 energy, pen 0, rof 1, rng 30m, ammo 30, reload 1 full action, +reliable. Mace 6k3(4k3), dmg 6k2(4k2) impact, pen 0, (+14 armor sont). Knife 3k3, 4k2 rending, pen 0, throw 5m.

Todo: first session is 500xp, then 200xp per after that, +25xp each time a hinderance kicks you, +misc. 500xp for con 3, cmp 2, power armor proficency, melee 3 weapon proficency. And grab some power armor & better weapons ASAP. Then ~5 sessions to exit & go fight guy, heavy weapons guy, or walking gunshow. Or about 3 sessions to go into constable or spelljammer captain classes. Also wants to buy up power stat & devotion a bit.

Hilt 2.0 isn't starting out as physically tough as the first version, but he'll exceed it after the first game session & as soon as he scores power armor. Heading into Captain lets him get into social-fu stuff & raising the other social stats, or Constable gets some charisma stuff and gun katas (like sword schools but shooty). Could also drop that last level of stone dragon to start with power armor & proficency, then buy the special attack instead of con-3 after the first game.

System :: Golden Heroes
Version :: Games Workshop

Character 8
Golden Heroes Planck-Shot.jpg

It's Golden Heroes! The idea with this character is that one of the powers he rolled is "Cybernetic", which granted him his Teleportation, so I rolled all of the other powers he got into the suit as well, aside from the Disguise and Hide in Shadows. Basically, he was a sneaky high level thief who managed to acquire a top secret prototype device, and now he has been convinced to flip and work for the government. The device he acquired is basically a helmet that is capable of performing a number of feats related to teleportation/time. It can teleport him and even nearby people, but it is dangerous. It can also initiate stutter teleportation, which is safer and allows him to appear to have super speed, or be capable of leaping long distances, though really much of the movement is normal human movement interspersed with high frequency teleports. The device is also capable of generating a stasis field in which he is teleported to the same identical location at very high frequency. In a sense, when in motion with stutter teleportation, it is as if he is probabilistically "spread out" over the distance moved, but when the stutter teleportation occurs at high frequency to the same identical location, it is as if the subject is super concentrated in that exact location, granting a sort of invincibility, though the subject is incapable of motion while in this state.

I like coming up with pseudo-scientific explanations for a power set. For a supers game, this one is pretty particular about its powers and its randomness. I think this gives the game a lot of particular flavor, but maybe at the expense of some flexibility compared to other super systems. The game also has a number of derived values you have to figure and make note of, which is a point against it, in my opinion. I love the campaign ratings and the idea behind the Daily Utility Phases though. I consider this one of the classic supers RPGs and think I'll need to run it one day, as I have for Marvel and DCH, even before I give Champions (3e) the shot at the table it one day deserves as well.

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is a small GDW game, coming in at only 140-ish pages. The system is just a touch janky, but simple enough. The small size of the game, combined with the beautiful Mark Schultz art everywhere does a lot of work in making me want to give the game a short run. Here I've put together a fisherman. Characters are all the kind of folk that would be around in this Xenozoic Jungle Post-Apocalypse with Dinosaurs and Classic Cars. Skills are all about trying to roll under a value on a D10, and Attributes both act as entry requirements for the Careers and as soft caps for the skills that fall under them (points placed into skills rated higher than their governing attribute only count for 1/2 each). Tasks can be easier (multiplying your skill), so having a skill at 2 isn't necessarily as awful as it may first appear. The system doesn't blow me away but I love the setting, having read the comics and enjoyed the Capcom beat'em up (though I've never seen the cartoon).
It's the system GDW used for Twilight: 2000 and Dark Conspiracy, but cut down and streamlined (much simpler character generation, for example). I've always quite liked it, but never got to run or play it in the day (my players were far more interested in Dark Conspiracy and Rolemaster at the time).

Anyway...

Day 1 (way late because I've been away for the New Year).

System: Worlds Without Number
Version: Deluxe

This character will be made using largely random rolls.

Stats (3d6, in order, replace one with a 14):
Str: 8 (+0)
Dex: 15 (+1)
Con: 8 -> 14 (+1)
Int: 13 -> 14 (+1)
Wis: 11 (+0)
Cha: 16 (+1)

Given how deadly WWN tends to be at low levels the 14 goes to Con, no question.

Background:
Roll = 4, Courtesan

Free Skill: Perform-0
Taking the rolled option, one roll on Growth, two on Learning:
Growth, 1: +1 on any stat (taking +1 Int)
Learning, 3: Convince-0
Learning, 8: Trade-0

So far great stats for anything but a Str-based Warrior, but skills that aren't super-wildernessy and are 'The Face' - in what's normally a hex-crawl game (and I'm not really a 'face' player). So now it's class. No random tables to roll on, here.

Class: Adventurer (Expert/Darian Skinshifter)
Foci:
Cultured-1 (bonus skill: Connect-0)
Imposter-1 (bonus skill: Sneak-0)

Free Skill:
Sneak-1

Skinshifter Arts, etc.:
Bonus skill: Survive-0

Effort:
Survive (0) + Con/Cha bonus (+1) = 1

Arts:
Change Form (1form/level)
Perfect Mimicry

Other:
Base Attack +1 when in non-humanoid form.

Base Attack: +0 (+1 when in non-humanoid form)

Saves:
Physical: 14
Evasion: 14
Mental: 14
Luck: 15

Hit Points: 1d6 + Con mod = 4+1 = 5

Equipment:
Gentry Wayfarer package
I envisage her as being the party's 'face', but by nature and background a con-artist who takes some poor sod's form and then uses that to rip people off, steal the victim's fortune, etc., and then slip away, changing to her normal form (or another if given time - at 1st level she has to spend a whole day practising a replacement form). Pliant Flesh is a likely 2nd level Art pick, as it'll allow unlimited form shifts if there's no time pressure, and a certain limited amount of healing.

An alternate build would take Punch-0 rather than Sneak-1, and combat arts, relying solely on Imposter and skill for disguise.

The sheet shows her carrying kit for an 'adventure' - obviously when in town, when on a con job, etc. it'd be different. Also, one can surmise that she's just had a reasonably profitable run prior to the game's start.

Day 1 - Jaia Lyak.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back