Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
So the next adventure announced by WotC is Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus. Apparently, as the title indicates it starts in Forgotten Realms and then moves to the first layer of Hell.

Probably includes some elements of The Blood War, I wonder how much Planescape they've included or if this is a lead into a full Planescape release?

I'm a sucker for Demons and Devils so this intrigues me.

The alternate cover is pretty boss. I may actually try and find this one.

Last edited:
Very cool! If you find more details let us know. I'm a big planar (and hells) junkie.

It's curious that D&D always had such a frigging heavy metal premise in the form of hellish adventures to make use of, but aside from some 2e attempts related to Planescape, they never seemed to have tried. They could pull some crazy "Lamentations of the Flame Princess" and "Mork Borg" stuff on their own if they wanted.

Or at least this is my impression.

Yawn. Didn’t we already have a demonic themed storyline a few years back?

Very cool! If you find more details let us know. I'm a big planar (and hells) junkie.

It's curious that D&D always had such a frigging heavy metal premise in the form of hellish adventures to make use of, but aside from some 2e attempts related to Planescape, they never seemed to have tried. They could pull some crazy "Lamentations of the Flame Princess" and "Mork Borg" stuff on their own if they wanted.

Or at least this is my impression.

The 2e Rod of Seven Parts mega-adventure has a pretty metal ending where you travel to the Abyss to a very Clark Ashton Smith reality-bending fortress to face the Wolf-Spider demon Miska. Just describing it is like reciting metal lyrics.

Last edited:
Yawn. Didn’t we already have a demonic themed storyline a few years back?

Out of the Abyss? It was more an Underdark adventure with the Demonlords being BTS big bads. And that was released 4 years ago. I forgot it was that long ago too, with the slower release schedule each book is certainly more memorable to me.

The 5E limited edition covers are one of the few limited edition covers I actually like. Often in Kickstarters the normal cover is some cool dynamic piece of art suited to the genre and the limited edition is just a boring embossed cover with the title and some generic symbol, e.g. axe, laser pistol etc

I really do not like the art direction of 5E. I know it's very highly produced and they spend a ton of money I just think it's ugly. Usually I can ignore artwork I don't like but the 5E layout and page design makes it really hard.

I wish they'd do a "throwback" edition with two column B&W layout but that wouldn't be for twentysomethings

I really do not like the art direction of 5E. I know it's very highly produced and they spend a ton of money I just think it's ugly. Usually I can ignore artwork I don't like but the 5E layout and page design makes it really hard.

I wish they'd do a "throwback" edition with two column B&W layout but that wouldn't be for twentysomethings

They could make pretty easy money by just publishing versions of the core rulebooks with different art styles. I'd love one done totally in anime style art. Or one done in Frazetti style sword & sorcery art.

The 5E limited edition covers are one of the few limited edition covers I actually like. Often in Kickstarters the normal cover is some cool dynamic piece of art suited to the genre and the limited edition is just a boring embossed cover with the title and some generic symbol, e.g. axe, laser pistol etc
Yeah, totally the opposite here. The main cover's representation of "Hell" makes me want to yawn angrily, an emotion I've never experienced before. The limited edition might not be Bosch, but at least it's cool.

Not usually a fan of the covers but the interior art for 5e I quite like.

The cover for Ghosts of Saltmarsh is better than usual.

Yeah, totally the opposite here. The main cover's representation of "Hell" makes me want to yawn angrily, an emotion I've never experienced before. The limited edition might not be Bosch, but at least it's cool.

I think that's what Séadna Séadna was saying, he likes the Limited Edition covers.

They could make pretty easy money by just publishing versions of the core rulebooks with different art styles. I'd love one done totally in anime style art. Or one done in Frazetti style sword & sorcery art.

I would pay good money for a reprint of the Japanese version of the Rules Cyclopedia with the English text.

That raises a question: why hasn't anyone done a retroclone aimed at emulating fantasy anime and JRPGs?

I would pay good money for a reprint of the Japanese version of the Rules Cyclopedia with the English text.

That raises a question: why hasn't anyone done a retroclone aimed at emulating fantasy anime and JRPGs?
...Given how insulted gamers get when you have the unmitigated balls to even THINK that anime is 'good'? Dear God, the firestorm and rage this would spark from the grognards? That's product suicide.

A more viable option would be to publish a sequel to the Art & Arcana book with D&D art from the British, Japanese and other variant editions around the world.

...Given how insulted gamers get when you have the unmitigated balls to even THINK that anime is 'good'? Dear God, the firestorm and rage this would spark from the grognards? That's product suicide.
Some anime is good. You now have me on record as saying it:smile:.

Of course, some anime sucks donkey balls, too, but I haven't found a significant difference in the share of those:wink:!

The LE is good, but I like the fallen angel thing going on with the regular cover.

You kidding? Special print runs of things rarely sell particularly well. They’d need to be certain of probably thousands of sales to even bother. Printing is expensive, and housing unsold inventory is moreso.

You kidding? Special print runs of things rarely sell particularly well. They’d need to be certain of probably thousands of sales to even bother. Printing is expensive, and housing unsold inventory is moreso.

D&D could make money off of virtually anything. Hell, Paizo was able to make money off of selling hardcover versions of the 2e playtest documents. If they can do that, wotc could definitely make bank on selling special prints of the core rulebooks. Collectors would eat it up.

I wish I could get this in English-

or this-

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back