7 players, AD&D, probably a one off game, not a campaign

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

thedungeondelver

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling White Plume Mountain but is that overkill? And if not what levels should I am at? 4th-7th? What's a good mix there?

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Reaction score
4th - 7th is good, though I've always thought 5th-8th level was the sweet spot for 1st ed. AD&D - PCs are competent, but not overpowering.
My favorite mid-level module was always I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City. It's sandboxy, but with focus at the same time, and lots of room to add your own favorite mini-dungeons and such.

thedungeondelver

Legendary Member
Reaction score
4th - 7th is good, though I've always thought 5th-8th level was the sweet spot for 1st ed. AD&D - PCs are competent, but not overpowering.
My favorite mid-level module was always I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City. It's sandboxy, but with focus at the same time, and lots of room to add your own favorite mini-dungeons and such.

I gotta tell you, if I knew I was going to be going back maybe 6 or 7 times, to be sure I'd go with something like that - it's a fine module to put in a campaign, and I've actually put C1 inside I1 before - but as a one-off that's just a sort of "how do you do" to a totally save one new group of players, it's a bit in depth. If I like these dudes and want to DM for them, I would definitely put it in the rotation. I've had my fill of Slavers and Temple of Elemental Evil to last me a long time...

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Reaction score
Ah, you're looking for something to run in a single session, is that right? My bad. Lemme think ...

thedungeondelver

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ah, you're looking for something to run in a single session, is that right? My bad. Lemme think ...

Initially, yeah. Something with some legs, so it's not like, welp, that was a fun half hour, anyone wanna play cribbage? kind of thing, but not a full blown campaign. Hence my leaning towards White Plume. Gotta be a classic tho.

Hm, I wonder if S3 is do-able.

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Reaction score
S3: The ship of a thousand small, empty rooms! :grin:

EX1 and EX2 are good one-offs: some legs, but not too big. Personally, I especially enjoyed EX2 back in the day.

thedungeondelver

Legendary Member
Reaction score
the best thing you can do with S3 is actually make the ship movable and really send the PCs on a space adventure! But I digress.

I will look at the EX series and consider them. I think I owned them back in the day but I'm not 100% sure.

I could always drop 'em on Isle of the Ape, heh-heh.

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Reaction score
My goodness, not unless they are very high level! :grin:

I think EX2 is probably better than 1 if only because it's not quite as obviously Wonderland, at least not right off the bat. It eases the players into it a little better. In any case, you can also do both, in either order, since they are accessible from one another, should your players demand a second session! :smile:

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com