7 players, AD&D, probably a one off game, not a campaign

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

thedungeondelver

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I'm feeling White Plume Mountain but is that overkill? And if not what levels should I am at? 4th-7th? What's a good mix there?

4th - 7th is good, though I've always thought 5th-8th level was the sweet spot for 1st ed. AD&D - PCs are competent, but not overpowering.
My favorite mid-level module was always I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City. It's sandboxy, but with focus at the same time, and lots of room to add your own favorite mini-dungeons and such.

4th - 7th is good, though I've always thought 5th-8th level was the sweet spot for 1st ed. AD&D - PCs are competent, but not overpowering.
My favorite mid-level module was always I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City. It's sandboxy, but with focus at the same time, and lots of room to add your own favorite mini-dungeons and such.

I gotta tell you, if I knew I was going to be going back maybe 6 or 7 times, to be sure I'd go with something like that - it's a fine module to put in a campaign, and I've actually put C1 inside I1 before - but as a one-off that's just a sort of "how do you do" to a totally save one new group of players, it's a bit in depth. If I like these dudes and want to DM for them, I would definitely put it in the rotation. I've had my fill of Slavers and Temple of Elemental Evil to last me a long time...

Ah, you're looking for something to run in a single session, is that right? My bad. Lemme think ...

Ah, you're looking for something to run in a single session, is that right? My bad. Lemme think ...

Initially, yeah. Something with some legs, so it's not like, welp, that was a fun half hour, anyone wanna play cribbage? kind of thing, but not a full blown campaign. Hence my leaning towards White Plume. Gotta be a classic tho.

Hm, I wonder if S3 is do-able.

S3: The ship of a thousand small, empty rooms! :grin:

EX1 and EX2 are good one-offs: some legs, but not too big. Personally, I especially enjoyed EX2 back in the day.

the best thing you can do with S3 is actually make the ship movable and really send the PCs on a space adventure! But I digress.

I will look at the EX series and consider them. I think I owned them back in the day but I'm not 100% sure.

I could always drop 'em on Isle of the Ape, heh-heh.

My goodness, not unless they are very high level! :grin:

I think EX2 is probably better than 1 if only because it's not quite as obviously Wonderland, at least not right off the bat. It eases the players into it a little better. In any case, you can also do both, in either order, since they are accessible from one another, should your players demand a second session! :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back