7th Sea

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Mankcam

Hallowed Be Thy Swo
Reaction score
(Preamble: I couldn't find any pre-existing thread when I did a title search, so I just started a new one) :smile:

1631163880688.png

7th Sea !!!

When 7th Sea first did the rounds in the early 2000s, I noticed it but wasn't really tracking it.
It was about the time I had disengaged from rpgs for a while, around the late 1990s to early 2000s. I intermittently played D&D 3E then, but I must of had a 5 year break from being a GM, and 7th Sea was fresh around that time.
In terms of game mechanics it kinda looked like Storyteller to an extent, and I think later on there may have even been a D20 OGL version (not sure)
I wasn't interested in learning a new system at that stage, and despite playing D&D 3E (almost grudgingly), I felt as a GM I could portray just about anything using a version of BRP back then - turns out I was not too far wrong, given my love for Mythras these days.

I always loved the idea of the swashbuckling setting however, and I intended to return to it at some stage.

I almost did run a pulpy swashbuckling game many years later with some BRP supplements, I was trying to decide between BRP (BGB) Blood Tide and BRP (Mythras/Legend) Pirates of Legend, I think I was only stopped by it not being my turn to GM for that six month period with my current group.

I knew John Wick did a kickstarter project to reboot the 7th Sea line a few years ago, but again it was not the time for me to check it out.
I knew there were issues regarding keeping the project afloat (pun intended!), so I kept clear of it all.
Now that the line has been picked up by Chaosium my interest in the setting is raised again, and in recent months I have been checking it out quite a bit.

I now have the 7th Sea 2E core book, and I'm collecting alot of the other books as well, they look beautiful and are a great read.
As a game, this edition seems alot more narrative than I thought it was, and I was kinda initially turned off by this, but then swung around to seeing how this could work really well with a loose pulpy setting.

I have yet to run 7th Sea 2E with my group, and I am likely not to have the opportunity until early next year, so I'm getting into the mindspace for it now.

From what I can see, 7th Sea 2E seems like it's good at what it's trying to do, which is presenting a very pulpy setting with a lot of narrative player-agency.
Given that my favourite systems are BRP (Mythras, CoC, RQ) and WFRP, this is quite different for me in terms of game mechanics. I have run alot of Conan 2D20 and Fate Core in recent times, and recently played in HARP and D&D 5E. I have Fiasco sitting there, waiting for the right beer-and-pretzels session for it, so I tend to be quite varied in my gaming approach.

From the outset, the 7th Sea game mechanics seem to suit the cinematic flavour of the setting rather well, although it remains to be seen if I can grok it at the gaming table.

The idea of running a loose cinematic rpg that feels like The Three Musketeers, Captain Blood, The Princess Bride, Pirates of the Caribbean, Assasin's Creed, Don Juan, Arabian Nights, etc, it all sounds like alot of rollicking good fun to me. Could be perfect for some afternoons of gaming and general rambling, as my group is wont to do, heh heh :grin:

If anyone has experiences with any edition, I am certainly interested in hearing about it, especially the current edition

Just parking these vids here for general interest:
Publisher promo (very brief)
Dan Wells review
Geek n Sundry Starter Kit playthru (playlist)
PAX Online I Speak Giants playthru (podcast)

For any who want to do a deep dive (another pun intended!):
7th Sea Quickstart (free pdf)

Happy to banter here about the good points, as well as any bad :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1631163841271.png
    1631163841271.png
    814.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1631163864612.png
    1631163864612.png
    814.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's fine, the earlier 7th Sea topic was a glorious repository for a big culinary digression. If you have the time and wanna wander around the Pub's yesteryear, it's a fun reminisce. Best of luck to your new topic!

(In before the tangent! :clown: )

I’ve played and run games.

I really like the world, it lends itself to good swashbuckling games, particularly if you focus on a particular area (e.g. Montaigne for courtly and musketeer shenanigans, Eisen for darker pulp monster hunters, Pirate Isles for pirates etc.). My experience of the system however, was it was much better with a small group (3) then my normal group size of 5.

With 5 I always felt it a stretch to come up with enough things for all the PCs to spend all their Raises on, particularly once they got some skills to the level of 2-raises per 15 rather than per 10. Three players, on the other hand, hit the mark of being interesting without being overwhelming in terms of coming up with things to spend raises on. It also avoided ’double-ups’ with multiple duellists which I found the biggest issue I have with the game.

IME multiple duellists pretty much make Brutes pointless unless you house-rule manoeuvres to be less effective vs brutes. We ended up with two duellists and a brawler who could take out brute-squads in our five player game. To make a combat encounter remotely interesting, I had to have multiple Villains and some brutes for the other PCs, and with five players it wasn’t a cinematic sword fight with a couple of handfuls of the cardinals guards (unless they were all Villains, which rather devalues villains) rather it was a grand melee with 20 or 30+ soldiers - which is fine every now and again, but not when it’s the norm (IMO). Three players in the other hand tended to have less duplication in skill sets. It’s also easier to focus in on character stories.

I would probably run it again with the right (small) group, but personally for a swashbuckling game in Theah with more players I would use Honor+Intigue with the 7th Sea conversion that was floating around the net. It was for first edition, but covered most of the bases.

I certainly take this insight on board, as I have read elsewhere that 7th Sea 2E may start breaking beyond four PCs, they easily overpower the game.

Fortunately my group is typically only four people - we have tended to play alot of crunchy games as well as rules-lite games, and found three PCs to be the perfect party size to ensure that we don't get bogged down too much while others have the airtime. For this game, it will be myself as GM and the three others as PCs - so hopefully 7th Sea will hum reasonably well for us :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I ran 1E back when it came out and always wanted to return to 7th Sea at some point. How does the ship to ship combat look in 2E?

I ran 1E back when it came out and always wanted to return to 7th Sea at some point. How does the ship to ship combat look in 2E?
I haven't got that far yet, but something tells me that it that if it is consistent with the rest of the 7S 2E rules, it will likely be very narrative in emphasis rather than any crunchy mechanics. Although the character sheet structure may be similar, 7S 2E is a fair bit of a departure from 7S 1E when it comes to game mechanics.

I haven't got that far yet, but something tells me that it that if it is consistent with the rest of the 7S 2E rules, it will likely be very narrative in emphasis rather than any crunchy mechanics. Although the character sheet structure may be similar, 7S 2E is a fair bit of a departure from 7S 1E when it comes to game mechanics.
To me 1E was just a modified version of Wick's Legend of the Five Ring's roll and keep d10s mechanic. I liked it back then, but haven't revisited it.

To me 1E was just a modified version of Wick's Legend of the Five Ring's roll and keep d10s mechanic. I liked it back then, but haven't revisited it.
That core character structure remains to an extent, so the 7S 1E stats can be used more or less with 7S 2E if desired, or handwaved very quickly.
It is still Characteristic + Skill as a bunch of D10 dice. So some parts of the character sheet look familar, but the spplication of the game mechanics is quite different.

It is definately not 'roll-and-keep' anymore. You roll the dice and count up how many clumps of dice add together to make a value of '10'; then that is the number of 'Raises' you have (which I will represent with tokens).

It's all about how many 'Raises/tokens' you have at the start of an action/drama scene, and these are basically expended as edit-points to justify your actions within a scene. It's very narrative, and plays out very differently from the original edition. It is far more free-form and loose, which sounds good from the outset, although may not be to everyone's tastes.

This may have understandably distanced many of the fans of the previous edition, because it is such a fundamental difference to running the action/drama scenes, not to mention the entire experience of the game itself. I assume alot of the setting of Theah is likely to be similar, but the actual game engine works quite different in 7S 2E to that of the earlier edition.

Last edited:
I certainly take this insight on board, as I have read elsewhere that 7th Sea 2E may start breaking beyond four PCs, they easily overpower the game.

Fortunately my group is typically only four people - we have tended to play alot of crunchy games as well as rules-lite games, and found three PCs to be the perfect party size to ensure that we don't get bogged down too much while others have the airtime. For this game, it will be myself as GM and the three others as PCs - so hopefully 7th Sea will hum reasonably well for us :thumbsup:
That sounds pretty much spot-on for what I felt was the sweet-spot for 7th Sea. The primary group I GM for at the moment is up to 6 players + GM which is way too big for 7th Sea. I’m a player in a smaller group with only 3 players so I might run it for them at some stage but I’m already running a Forbidden Lands and game (wait, that’s tonight… better make sure I’ve got things sorted) and about to try running a Godbound game of dragon-riders (think Feist’s Valheru) for the main group (which should be interesting with six players… I suspect they’ll crush most things, which is kind of the idea, at least at first :devil:) so it’ll have to wait a while,

Last edited:
That core character structure remains to an extent, so the 7S 1E stats can be used more or less with 7S 2E if desired, or handwaved very quickly.
It is still Characteristic + Skill as a bunch of D10 dice. So some parts of the character sheet look familar, but the spplication of the game mechanics is quite different.

It is definately not 'roll-and-keep' anymore. You roll the dice and count up how many clumps of dice add together to make a value of '10'; then that is the number of 'Raises' you have (which I will represent with tokens).

It's all about how many 'Raises/tokens' you have at the start of an action/drama scene, and these are basically expended as edit-points to justify your actions within a scene. It's very narrative, and plays out very differently from the original edition. It is far more free-form and loose, which sounds good from the outset, although may not be to everyone's tastes.

This may have understandably distanced many of the fans of the previous edition, because it is such a fundamental difference to the game itself, not to mention the entire experience of the game. I assume alot of the 7S 1E setting of Theah is likely to be similar, but the actual game engine is very different in 7S 2E.
I actually like the intent of the system, the idea being it’s not really whether you can achieve your goal (if you get a raise, that’s pretty much guaranteed), but what it’s going to cost you - whether in lost opportunities or in complications you don’t overcome. It works nicely to reflect competent characters who can pretty much always succeed, but at a cost.

I actually like the intent of the system, the idea being it’s not really whether you can achieve your goal (if you get a raise, that’s pretty much guaranteed), but what it’s going to cost you - whether in lost opportunities or in complications you don’t overcome. It works nicely to reflect competent characters who can pretty much always succeed, but at a cost.
Yeah I think it really suits the pulpy nature of the setting. Most of the time in a pulpy action story it is not about whether the character lives or dies, but rather how they deal with challenges and obstacles. This system pretty much does that, it looks like how well you 'play your hand' (use your Raises) determines success and at what cost. I think the trick as a GM will be throwing in multiple challenges and obstacles within a single action/drama scene, and seeing how it all pans out. It's not like the characters are invincible either, they can be rendered helpless which makes them pretty useless. The GM can always spend a Danger Point to narrate that a Villain can kill the helpless character, which will mean the PCs will spend Hero Pts to stop it, thus stimulating the story experience further.

This is not the system to emulate a classic dungeon crawl, but if we are wanting to portray something akin to The Three Musketeers and Pirates of the Caribbean, then this looks like it could be an almost perfect union of game mechanics to game genre.

I will have to test drive it first of course, 7S 2E will have its pitfalls like every other system. It may take me some time to grok it, which will not be a reflection of the system itself, but rather a reflection of my own previous GM experience tripping up the mindset I'll need to have to be running these action/drama scenes with these mechanics

This Geek n Sundry Starter Kit: 7th Sea playlist here (with author John Wick hosting it), gives me a great model on how to do things. He is railroading things a bit in order to keep everything on track to the filming schedule, and likely 'pulping' things up a bit in scope so that he can present how loose and cinematic things can be for the PCs. I'm not sure if the game is more likely to be one notch down in 'pulp scope' for ongoing campaign characters, I think that is something for a GM to determine where the game hums at. I will have to check out the Experience system, I don't want it to be passe if the characters are too proficient at the start of the campaign, but I won't comment on that just yet.
The players are also on their best behaviour as well, being actors/hosts, so there isn't any tantrums regarding whether actions are reasonable or not. So yes, in some ways these playthrus are optimal conditions, but they do provide me with a great notion on how to approach things.
Plus the players are a good bunch to game with, and John Wick is a likable character, well suited to promoting the strengths of his game.

I'm really enjoying the game genre, and the setting books look very rich in lore and content, but I'm just as interested in seeing how the game mechanics plays out at the table. It will be January before I get my turn to be GM next - we have a regular monthly in-person rpg session, and the current GM has the floor until December, so I've got a space to get into this and get things ready for the next campaign.

Looks like alot of fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Played 1st edition 20 or so years ago and had fun with it, but I couldn't tell you any specifics. Also backed the 2E Kickstarter, but other than browsing the PDFs for the artwork haven't done much with it.

I have a ton of the 1E stuff and loved it, although I only got the play it a couple of times. I do quite like the cinematic flare to the rules, so hopefully 2E carries that through.

Keep us updated how everything goes (well OK I want to know how it goes!). I've only really heard naysayers, and I want to know how someone with an open mind gets on.

I have the 2E corebook as 1E was in the 'hiatus years', but personally didn't like the setting (I won't go into it as I don't want to put you off) so haven't really done anything with it (it sits on the 'shelves of shame' with a few other swashbuckling books).

I have the 2E corebook as 1E was in the 'hiatus years', but personally didn't like the setting (I won't go into it as I don't want to put you off) so haven't really done anything with it (it sits on the 'shelves of shame' with a few other swashbuckling books).
I'm not a fan of the whole "Theah is sort of like 17th century Europe" setting. I realize it's so you can take liberties with history, but you can do that without having to rename everything. I am thinking about running it as alternate history where magic is introduced to the time line.

I have already done a lot of work for a SWADE pirate game I ran a few years ago and it would be easier just to substitute 7th Sea 2E mechanics versus renaming nationalities and everything in the Caribbean.

Well I just managed to get the entire line in printed book, grabbing two titles a fortnight from Chaosium for the past two months
There's more books on the horizon, but this is pretty much what is currently in stock.
I know I posted this pic in another thread, but I'm pretty happy about it, and this is the thread I kicked off, so here it is again, heh heh :grin:
Fun times ahead for me! :thumbsup:

1632035972416.png

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the whole "Theah is sort of like 17th century Europe" setting. I realize it's so you can take liberties with history, but you can do that without having to rename everything. I am thinking about running it as alternate history where magic is introduced to the time line.

I have already done a lot of work for a SWADE pirate game I ran a few years ago and it would be easier just to substitute 7th Sea 2E mechanics versus renaming nationalities and everything in the Caribbean.
Initially I didn't like that it wasn't an Alternate History Earth 1600s/1700s, but then I thought well if its an alternate history, then it might as way take even more liberties, so I'm pretty happy that 7th Sea does depart a bit, it allows me as a GM to handwave alot more stuff using the world of Terra rather than Earth.

However it would be a cinch to run 7S 2E in an Alternate History Earth 1600s/1700s, using real-history as a guide. Essientially it's almost the same thing, but whatever works I reckon. I'm sure this game is made just to do that actually, for instance it would take no effort to port 7S 2E mechanics into the SW Pirates of the Spanish Main setting (BTW I love that book) and vice versa! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Our current game is 7th Sea after finishing a Runequest Glorantha game. I think the setting in 2E is much more interesting and full of ideas than 1E was, certain of the sillier aspects are changed and the politics of some nations are fleshed out in a way you can use at the table. Actually in general it has a lot of high level detail you can actually use. The Nations of Thea volumes are bursting with ideas.

The system I didn't enjoy as much, so we're using Honor+Intrigue as mentioned above. It can be gotten from Lulu in paperback and there might be a 2nd edition hardback at some point:

PDF on its own can be found on drivethrurpg and a PDF+Print bundle is on Indie Press Revolution.

I think people may be surprised with the level of detail and immersion with the current 7S 2E setting books, they are very impressive and the whole line is really well produced. The world of Terra is getting fleshed out beyond Theah, and each book adds quite a bit of content to the setting as a whole. The game still sticks to it's roots to some extent, with Theah (analog for Europa) getting two books. All in all, it's a very rich and impressive body of fictional setting lore.

I also have a BRP game called Renaissance which looks pretty good for a 1600s/1700s style game, although it is only the bare basics and the setting needs to be fleshed out completely. It is practically the BRP OpenQuest engine designed for the Early Modern History era. Renaissance is something I would use if I wanted a more gritty serious take on the era, however I think the 7S 2E system should capture the rollicking pulpy flavour that I'm after.

Honor + Intrigue does gets mentioned quite a bit, so it is on my radar.
Is it the same system used in Everway and Barbarians of Lemuria?
(I have seen the character sheet, and it looks like it could be that system.)
If so, I can see that being a really good system for a swashbuckling setting as well, it would be perfect for it.

However I am currently getting into the 7S 2E mechanics, so I want to give it a good run before considering conversion to another system.
Just to see if I can make it roll the way it should :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Honor + Intrigue gets mentioned quite a bit - is that the same system used in Everway and Barbarians of Lemuria?
(I have seen the character sheet, and it looks like it could be that system.)
If so I can see that being a really good system for this kind of setting as well, it would be perfect for it.

However I am intrigued with the 7S 2E mechanics now, I want to give it a good run before considering conversion to another system, so I want to see if I can make it roll the way it should :thumbsup:
Yeah it's the same system as Everway and Barbarians, technically based off the older version of the system.

Definitely try the native system first, you might wind up really enjoying its different focus.

Oh, here's Mankcam's thread about 7th Sea. I feel dense, I didn't have to request this... Your already doing it! Some old recon scout I am! Lol Couldn't find my ass with both hands. (thread now followed)

Edit: Worse, I'd even actually read through some of the comments and liked some of things I'd read. Definitely, slipping gears I think. Well, now I want to know more about how combat mechanics flow. Active? Dodging, parrying? Wounds? Armor works how? :hehe: :dice:

Last edited:
Initially I didn't like that it wasn't an Alternate History Earth 1600s/1700s, but then I thought well if its an alternate history, then it might as way take even more liberties, so I'm pretty happy that 7th Sea does depart a bit, it allows me as a GM to handwave alot more stuff using the world of Terra rather than Earth.

However it would be a cinch to run 7S 2E in an Alternate History Earth 1600s/1700s, using real-history as a guide. Essientially it's almost the same thing, but whatever works I reckon. I'm sure this game is made just to do that actually, for instance it would take no effort to port 7S 2E mechanics into the SW Pirates of the Spanish Main setting (BTW I love that book) and vice versa! :thumbsup:
If I could get my players to READ anything then I would go with 7th Sea as is, but I see some of them constantly asking, "Wait, is this France? Or what?"

Pirates of the Spanish Main is what I ran a couple years ago. It did the trick, but I think I missed something with the ship combat. They always annihilated anything they came up against. It has two versions of combat, and I think I should have went with the lighter, narrative based rules, but I really wanted to use the ships from the PotSM CCG. LOL
IMG_0871.JPG

I did pick up the 2E core book. :smile:

The thing to keep in mind about the system in 7th Sea 2E is that Wick designed it for a specific purpose. In one of his blog posts, he said that dice absolutely hate him, and he rolls like shit all the time, to the point that he’s legendary among his regular gaming buddies for always rolling poorly. So he designed 2E so that the roll only tells you how much stuff you can do in a round, not whether you succeed or not. Success is assumed.

And even if you roll poorly, you’ll still tend to get at least one or maybe two raises. So you can at least accomplish something every round.

It comes across as very narrative, but you don’t necessarily have to play it that way. You could also take the rolls as representing how much effort you needed to put into what you’re trying to do. So a low roll that gets you only one raise means that your attempt to hit an opponent took all your concentration and therefore you didn’t have time to try anything else that round.

Kind of like a fighter in D&D that has two attacks per round and misses with the first roll, but hits with the second.

Our group found reframing it like this helped keep the immersion and not feel like we were just telling a story.

I also have a BRP game called Renaissance which looks pretty good for a 1600s/1700s style game, although it is only the bare basics and the setting needs to be fleshed out completely.
Have you looked into Pirates & Dragons, also from Cakebread & Walton? There's a version for their OneDice system, but I prefer the version that uses their Renaissance d100 system and adds some "cinematics". It's a complete game that includes all the necessary rules, so the Renaissance book isn't required.

links:

link to the OneDice version:

They were fun to collect and put together although I never played the actual game they are for, but instead use them in other games. They are still on Amazon, eBay, and probably gaming shops.

View attachment 35749
They also come with the tiniest d6.
Oh, awesome. Yeah I'd use them for other games most likely. Thanks for the link.

7th Sea 2nd:
1. Roll a handful or two of dice.
2. Spend dice as you narrate what you do.
3. Find out you’ve succeeded in spectacular and cool fashion, have run out of things to say and do and notice you still have dice left.
4. Decide a better use of your time would be to...
4.a. Just write fiction.
4.b. Play an actual RPG.

With such an invertebrate system, the one saving grace is that leaves tons of room for setting detail. The problem is, that Wick doesn’t write any of them, so you get the typical “team of contractors all trying to break into the video game industry (if you’re lucky) or wanna-be novelists (if you’re not)”. As a result, there‘s no clear voice behind any of the sourcebooks, they’re all just the same fantasy earth bowdlerized pap you’ve read before. Sure first edition was super simplified, but at least it was fun. There’s not even any human sacrifice in the Aztlan book, or Tezcatlipoca, or...well anything really. In a couple of books Wick jumps in, and there’s some guest stars like Jerry Grayson, but for the most part the setting work is mediocre.

One thing that is a plus, which I was pleasantly surprised to find, the maps are actually pretty good.

There’s not even any human sacrifice in the Aztlan book, or Tezcatlipoca, or...well anything really. In a couple of books Wick jumps in, and there’s some guest stars like Jerry Grayson, but for the most part the setting work is mediocre.
I noticed that side bar and wondered why they went that direction. If I run it I would say that the Aztlan totally and completely are against human sacrifice when it comes to members of their society. It would be completely off the table and even heretical. However, anyone who is not Aztlan are fair game fuel for the gods.

7th Sea 2nd:
1. Roll a handful or two of dice.
2. Spend dice as you narrate what you do.
3. Find out you’ve succeeded in spectacular and cool fashion, have run out of things to say and do and notice you still have dice left.
4. Decide a better use of your time would be to...
4.a. Just write fiction.
4.b. Play an actual RPG.

With such an invertebrate system, the one saving grace is that leaves tons of room for setting detail. The problem is, that Wick doesn’t write any of them, so you get the typical “team of contractors all trying to break into the video game industry (if you’re lucky) or wanna-be novelists (if you’re not)”. As a result, there‘s no clear voice behind any of the sourcebooks, they’re all just the same fantasy earth bowdlerized pap you’ve read before. Sure first edition was super simplified, but at least it was fun. There’s not even any human sacrifice in the Aztlan book, or Tezcatlipoca, or...well anything really. In a couple of books Wick jumps in, and there’s some guest stars like Jerry Grayson, but for the most part the setting work is mediocre.

One thing that is a plus, which I was pleasantly surprised to find, the maps are actually pretty good.
For stuff like human sacrifice being removed, I treat it like I treated the “removal” of demons and devils in AD&D 2E. Ignore it and just drop that stuff right back in. In most cases, it’s trivial.

I do agree that we shouldn’t have to, but it’s pretty common with published settings now to have to add some additional spice to get it to the right level for your campaign.

I’m not a big fan of the 2E system now that I’ve used it a bunch. I don’t think it’s terrible, but I have other systems I prefer for a setting like this. But I do feel that’s it’s worth trying out to see if it works for a particular group, because it’s different enough from other games that it may have surprising results.

Yeah it's the same system as Everway and Barbarians, technically based off the older version of the system.

Definitely try the native system first, you might wind up really enjoying its different focus.
The main thing H+I has that is different to BoL etc is the duelling system. Mechanically it’s fairly simple and is great at creating interesting sword fights where each duellist can be distinct using different manoeuvres that suit their strengths, and where the different duelling schools feel distinct from one another (something that the 7th Sea 2e ones don’t IME). It also has rules for ships and sailing, mass combat, alchemy and other white magic, sorcery, monsters etc.

Having said that, I agree with giving 7th Sea 2e a try. It really ‘sings‘ with the right (small) group, but it’s up to the group to add flavour to things like duelling and Action and Dramatic sequences.

It also has rules for ships and sailing, mass combat, alchemy and other white magic, sorcery, monsters
I don't know if you were trying to say that BoL doesn't do these things, but just in case I'll point out that BoL does indeed do these too. If I recall correctly, the only thing H+I brings to the table that BoL doesn't do is its dueling system. Not trying to poop on it. It's a great game! I'm just trying to clear up any possible ambiquity.

I don't know if you were trying to say that BoL doesn't do these things, but just in case I'll point out that BoL does indeed do these too. If I recall correctly, the only thing H+I brings to the table that BoL doesn't do is its dueling system. Not trying to poop on it. It's a great game! I'm just trying to clear up any possible ambiquity.

Are those in Mythic, because my physical copy of BoL (which I understand is Legendary, which is what H+I is built on) doesn’t have rules for ships or mass combat, or rules for divination (it does have rules for alchemy)?

EDIT: Checked my PDF of Mythic (which I haven’t run) and it does indeed have rules for those things. Mythic post-dates H+I and acknowledges the battlefield rules come from H+I and the ship rules were from Heroes of Hellas.

When I initially kicked off this thread I said that I was happy to banter about the good points of 7S 2E as well as the bad, so I'm glad to see different perspectives in this thread.

Hopefully that doesn't mean endless ramblings about why 7S 2E is badwrongfun because it is different from one's preferred way of playing, but certainly feel free to provide constructive criticisms about this game. I am interested in where 7S 2E stumbles, as I'm likely to fall into these same holes in the road.
For those who didn't like the game, I would like to know how long you played it, or is it is just a general dislike for this style of gameplay?

BTW the rpg systems I typically dig the most are BRP (esp Mythras) and WFRP, so that is my homeland. However I also have had a lot of fun with some more narrative-emphasis games, especially for running Pulp Adventure genre, so these 7S 2E mechanics do catch my interest for a Swashbuckling setting like this.

I can see alot of challenges with this narrative game-style, it will either lead to very rich and colourful scene descriptions, or to very flat gameplay.
Hopefully I can grok this to be the former, as I can see alot of potential here and would really like to give this game a good go :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Have you looked into Pirates & Dragons, also from Cakebread & Walton? There's a version for their OneDice system, but I prefer the version that uses their Renaissance d100 system and adds some "cinematics". It's a complete game that includes all the necessary rules, so the Renaissance book isn't required.

links:

link to the OneDice version:
Wow, flashback!!!

Yep, I actually do have Pirates & Dragons and really like what Cakebread & Walton did with this game. I have the core book and the creatures book.
BRP Renaissance D100/OQ with Pirates and Fantasy - one of the biggest forgotten gems in recent times, such a missed opportunity!

I completely forgot I have it, as it is in one of my storage boxs under the stairs...
I just wasn't into it at that time it came out, but it's more my thing now and it is definitely going into my new bookcase

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
BTW if anyone wants tokens for Raises, I recommend grabbing polished/glazed river pebbles (also marketed as 'tuscan pebbles') from the local hardware store. I bought these for about $10 AUD from Bunnings Warehouse in Australia (not sure what the equivalent store is elsewhere):
1632170211529.png
This is the kind of rpg that tokens would work well with, and I can see my players keeping track of Raises much better if we represent them with tokens.
For Danger Points I went with something slightly harsher, and in darker tones:
1632170651442.png
I originally bought and used these glazed pebbles as tokens for Modiphius 2D20 (CONAN - Momentum Pts and Doom Pts), so it will be a smooth transition to use them for Raises and Danger Pts in 7th Sea.

For Hero Points however, I wanted to go with something thematically appealing. I ended up splurging and going upmarket, ordering these metal Doubloons thru Amazon. They are going to be awesome when they arrive!:

1632140953923.png

I think these heavy metalic Doubloons will look and feel great, and will have that cool "chink, chink" sound that will add alot of flavour to our games
If anyone is interested, I found them here :thumbsup:

Last edited:
BTW if anyone wants tokens for Raises, I recommend grabbing polished/glazed river pebbles from the local hardware store, I grabbed something like this for about $10 AUD from Bunnings warehouse in Australia (not sure what the equivalent store is elsewhere):
View attachment 35775
It's the kind of rpg that tokens would work well with, and I can see my players keeping track of Raises better if we represent them with tokens.
For Danger Points I'm gonna go with something slightly harsher, and in a dark tones:

View attachment 35777

For Hero Points however, I went upmarket and ordered metal Doubloons thru Amazon, along these lines:

View attachment 35774
I think these metal Doubloons will look and feel great, and should add alot of flavour to our games!
If anyone is interested, I found them here :thumbsup:
I used coins similar to those doubloons for bennies in Pirates of the Spanish Main.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back