A Thread Where We Fix Stuff (re-systeming games that should be good)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

lategamer

Writer, Sailor, Filmmaker, Irishman,
Reaction score
Now, someone can do this for Indiana Jones but my gripe today is The Witcher (as mentioned on Our Discord). I would invite anyone to post games which were ruined by their systems and we can work together to fix them.

The Promise: Play in the world of the witcher as a deadly fighter, a powerful mage, a crude dwarf, a melancholy elf or even as a Mighty Witcher.

The Reality: The system is based on Interlock but they have inexplicably managed to gum it up.

The Problem: Trying to emulate the videogames I guess. The books don't have this level of gunge.

The Solution: Present again in a system that's fast. Smarten up magic with an Effects based system. Make Witcher potions just a "boost".

So I will dig out my copy of The Witcher and see what can be done to recover it in some replies below.

I am so doing those for Changing the Lost 2nd ed!

I am unfamiliar with the Interlock system. Which games is that the chassis for, other than the Witcher?

I am unfamiliar with the Interlock system. Which games is that the chassis for, other than the Witcher?
R. Talsorian Games. Mike Pondsmith. It's the system for all of the editions of Cyberpunk & Mekton. It's basically a d10 + Attribute + Skill at core. If you've ever heard of the Fuzion system, it came out of an unholy combination of the Interlock & Hero (Champions, Danger International, Justice Inc., Robot Warriors, Star/Fantasy/Pulp Hero, etc.) systems.

Last edited:
Oh, well then I am familiar with it. I've played Cyberpunk. I don't have a black belt in system mastery or anything though.

I look forward to you explaining the promise and the problem!
I'm not sure how actually important it is to me. :grin: I tend to mine Changeling for ideas more than I'm tempted to actually run the game. I just don't like 2E (and I love DRYH). If I get up the energy to explain in more detail I will (but I have my doubts...).

The Promise: Play as a person warped by godlike, capricious entities in mysterious world where myth and magic are entwined with the modern world and nothing is as it seems.

The Reality: The system is a horrible mess of interlocking sub-sytems, feeding off of each other for no reason other than to look complicated.

The Problem: The exciting part of the game happened before you got here. Instead we've sucked out all the adventure in favour of maths.

The Solution: Give me time. I'm at work and I should be marking.

At a higher level, the problem with The Witcher is that everyone at the gaming table wants to play a Witcher, and the game doesn't seem to cope with that in my experience. My group gave up on The Witcher after three, maybe four sessions.

At a higher level, the problem with The Witcher is that everyone at the gaming table wants to play a Witcher, and the game doesn't seem to cope with that in my experience. My group gave up on The Witcher after three, maybe four sessions.
I feel like this is an issue the designer should have foreseen. Who plays the Witcher RPG to play anything but a Witcher?

I feel like this is an issue the designer should have foreseen. Who plays the Witcher RPG to play anything but a Witcher?
Well….

You could argue that about Dune, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.

Mages should be a good choice. A Witcher and Apprentice would be a good choice. And there are other magic-using folks. Shapeshifters. Etc.

Not that fussed on playing a bard.

Well….

Mages should be a good choice. A Witcher and Apprentice would be a good choice. And there are other magic-using folks. Shapeshifters. Etc.

I think the Witcher is a little different than those examples. Star Trek isn't called Captain Kirk, nor is Dune called Mua'dib. Similarities? Sure, but I think it was very foreseeable that most (almost all?) people who agree to play in a Witcher game would want to play a Witcher rather than another character type.

.. most (almost all?) people who agree to play in a Witcher game would want to play a Witcher rather than another character type.

Well they are cool. But I’ll be an immortal mage, thanks.

Warhammer Fantasy

The Promise:
Smite Chaos while trying to retain your sanity and avoiding mud.

The Reality: Fights decided by he who whiffs least.

The Problem: PC skills are too low but you can't easily raise them without making tougher challenges more trivial.

The Solution: Replace the system with another GW system that is more streamlined but actually works and is still 100% compatible with everything released with minimal conversion.

This sounds like something that Cinematic Unisystem might handle reasonably well. Starting mages and witchers would be built with more points, but regular fighters, thieves, bards and other sidekicks would have access to a greater number of Drama Points, allowing them to get into the thick of action without automatically being slaughtered, and more easily doing other cool things during play.

The system is a horrible mess of interlocking sub-sytems, feeding off of each other for no reason other than to look complicated.

That goes for all 2nd edition versions of New World Chronicles of Darkness. I can't believe they took something so cleaned up and re-fucked it to the extent that it's in many ways more unpleasant to play than oWoD!

I think the Witcher is a little different than those examples. Star Trek isn't called Captain Kirk, nor is Dune called Mua'dib. Similarities? Sure, but I think it was very foreseeable that most (almost all?) people who agree to play in a Witcher game would want to play a Witcher rather than another character type.

Course as happens so often one of the issues is assuming that the game needs to be party-based, because a certain famous fantasy game was.

Regarding The Witcher, one can play a Rogue or a Bard or whatever, but it's the Sorcerers and Witchers which are central and iconic to the setting. Not sure there is any way around this.

Personally I would not keep trying to make Interlock fit this setting, it feels like hammering a triangle into a square.

I'ld just run it with Mythras because of the gritty combat flavour, and it feels loose and flexible for me to run something like this in a BRP system (Mythras being my preferred version of BRP).

Magic is an easy port, with some dark underlying flavour:

For the more immediate Witcher spells (which are abilities triggered by potions, salves, and other practical components), I would use Mythras Folk Magic.
Would have to work out some impact on social skills as a disturbing side-effect whilst under the effects of these enchantments.

For higher forms of The Art such as rituals, summonings, etc, I would look at Mythras Sorcery. Would have to work out some potential Chaos effect on casting, with Fumbles leading to permanent impairments from Chaos exposure.

But thats about it, I wouldn't worry about anything else, its all setting after that.

(PS: I also considered Zweihander for The Witcher, but for me I would find Mythras an easier system to run)

Last edited:
Ah! That's easy!

Ze Weetcherz!

A game by yours truly

You need a d10

1. Roll a name
1. Gart 2. Bort 3. Wurst 4. Brak 5. Mork 6. Brog 7. Prost 8. Wach 9. Trosk 10. Flak

2. You are a Weetcher !

3. You have one stat:
Slice & Dice which starts at +2.

4. You have 5 Edgelord points and 5 Blood points.

5. You have 5 potions. Each potion gives you +2 to your roll. You also have 5 friends. It's cool to have friends.

6. When you have to act, use Slice & DIce for anything action-related. You automatically fail non-action related rolls, which makes you depressed, gain 1 Edgelord point.

7. Roll a d10 and add the appropriate stat.
1-5
You fail miserably and become even more somber and depressed (gain 1 edgelord point). Loose 2 Blood points as you strain your muscles to look cool regardless of your failure.
6-10 Not bad, but you get hurt (loose 1 Blood point, at 0 you die) or you look a bit stupid (loose 1 edgelord point, at 0 you're happy, get married and become a farmer).
11-15 Great success! You look cool and your enemy is reduced to blood splatters. Slice & DIce goes up by 1. At +5 you get a beard. Future supplements will detail what happens after that (I got bills to pay).

8. At the end of each session roll a d10, if you roll below your Edgelord score you lose a friend. When you've lost all friends you drink yourself to death.

Wasn't that hard!

Last edited:
Well….

We handled it in Star Wars by not having a Jedi in the party, you can do a smuggler’s campaign, a military campaign, lots of options for non Jedi SW games. Does The Witcher setting really offer that kind of fun with Witchers being only NPCs? I have only seen the tv show.

Mind you that doesn’t help lategamer lategamer who wants the game to support playing a Witcher, I just wanted to point it out as our solution to the Jedi problem.

One on one play is a legitimate solution by the way, if I’m running a buddy cop game I’m only inviting two players.

Mind you that doesn’t help lategamer lategamer who wants the game to support playing a Witcher, I just wanted to point it out as our solution to the Jedi problem.

One on one play is a legitimate solution by the way, if I’m running a buddy cop game I’m only inviting two players.
So who plays Joe Pesci then?

So who plays Joe Pesci then?
The GM as he is a NPC that is only there for a scene or in the background of a couple scenes. If you have a full third character you arguably aren’t making a pure buddy comedy.

Ah! That's easy!

Ze Weetcherz!

A game by yours truly

You need a d10

1. Roll a name
1. Gart 2. Bort 3. Wurst 4. Brak 5. Mork 6. Brog 7. Prost 8. Wach 9. Trosk 10. Flak

2. You are a Weetcher !

3. You have one stat:

5. You have 5 potions. Each potion gives you +2 to your roll. You also have 5 friends. It's cool to have friends.

6. When you have to act, use Slice & DIce for anything action-related. You automatically fail non-action related rolls, which makes you depressed, gain 1 Edgelord point.

1-5
You fail miserably and become even more somber and depressed (gain 1 edgelord point). Loose 2 Blood points as you strain your muscles to look cool regardless of your failure.
6-10 Not bad, but you get hurt (loose 1 Blood point, at 0 you die) or you look a bit stupid (loose 1 edgelord point, at 0 you're happy, get married and become a farmer).
11-15 Great success! You look cool and your enemy is reduced to blood splatters. Slice & DIce goes up by 1. At +5 you get a beard. Future supplements will detail what happens after that (I got bills to pay).

8. At the end of each session roll a d10, if you roll below your Edgelord score you lose a friend. When you've lost all friends you drink yourself to death.

Wasn't that hard!

I now have an emoji complaint. I want to give this post both a 'love' and 'haha' but I have to choose one. Seems like a goose plot to me.

Ah! That's easy!

Ze Weetcherz!

A game by yours truly

You need a d10

1. Roll a name

2. You are a Weetcher !

3. You have one stat:

1-5

Wasn't that hard!
This is brilliant for a 5min post !!!
Love it !!! :grin:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back