AD&D Oriental Adventures $4.99 each on DTRPG!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRKrueger

Eläytyminatör
Reaction score
So the whole line of OA is available on DTRPG for $4.99 each.

Why do I bring it up? Well, for reasons we won’t talk about, they may very well be purged from existence soon.
If you ever wanted a digital copy, now is the time.

Do you have any knowledge that they're scheduled to be removed?

Do you have any knowledge that they're scheduled to be removed?
The request for them to be removed has been made. The request was made specifically in response to statements made by WotC employees concerning the same reason the requestor thinks OA should be removed.

P.S. Al Qadim is under current review by the same requestor.

Hmm, wonder if my hardcopy will be worth more as a forbidden tome. It's in pretty good shape, but I always had the impression OA had a big print run.

To be safe, if you buy them, you might back them up somewhere, in case they are purged from DriveThru's library. It has been known to happen, though usually with licensed products.
Is that even legal? I know my copy of Squadron UK is intact, despite GW removing it from general sale.

I don't know if it's ever been challenged in court, but companies do similar stuff all the time (like offering a single download and you're SOL if you need a program again later - or, more accurately, need activation keys later).

Marvel has yanked digital comics people have bought because they accidentally released early. Amazon has removed digital books from Kindles that were connected to the internet.

Hmm, wonder if my hardcopy will be worth more as a forbidden tome. It's in pretty good shape, but I always had the impression OA had a big print run.

I just checked ebay. It looks like suddenly the final prices have spiked and there's a frenzy of bidding activity on the 1e HC. The book had been selling for about $20. Now bidders are driving it up to $120+

Note that once you buy a product, it will typically be in your DTRPG library even if the product's withdrawn. I had some products from WotC that were available during their long absence, for example, and GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos is missing from the site right now but still in my library. Even license expiration doesn't necessarily cause a loss--I can still get my Solomon Kane books. Backing up is a good idea, though.

Note that once you buy a product, it will typically be in your DTRPG library even if the product's withdrawn. I had some products from WotC that were available during their long absence, for example, and GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos is missing from the site right now but still in my library. Even license expiration doesn't necessarily cause a loss--I can still get my Solomon Kane books. Backing up is a good idea, though.

Yeah, it's not common for them to disappear once purchased, but it has happened. I just wanted people to be aware that it was a possibility.

So the whole line of OA is available on DTRPG for $4.99 each.

Why do I bring it up? Well, for reasons we won’t talk about, they may very well be purged from existence soon.
If you ever wanted a digital copy, now is the time.

Oh, well, at least it will always exist because of piracy. I spend a sometimes embarrassing amount of money on games, so please don't take this as an endorsement of piracy, but it kind of is. In that one regard, and in that regard only. Trust me, I get the rest, and that these guys aren't Robin Hoods. But in the case of a super rare or "lost" game that can't be had legitimately? That aspect I have no problem with.

I'm not touching the reasoning behind the possible impending deletion. But I'd rather see an added disclaimer, or explanation than to have any part of our hobby memoryholed. I hate to see a single written word of it, a single page or image, lost to time.

Disclaimer: I dont have OA, and I don't want it, if I did I would definitely buy it now. I'm more thinking of future generations/RPG historians. Not suggesting that I, or anyone else pirate a product that is not only available legally, but currently on sale to boot.

IMO WotC should put a disclaimer about "dated and stereotyped cultural depictions" on the product page but keep it available. It's not a good book, and not only for its dated cultural depictions (its rules-content is also a mostly-unplaytested mess), but at least to me it's still an interesting historical artifact representing the more-or-less literal turning point between the Gygax and post-Gygax eras of TSR/AD&D and the utter chaos TSR was in during 1985, about which the product notes on the DriveThruRPG page give a pretty good summary so I won't repeat it here.

IMO WotC should put a disclaimer about "dated and stereotyped cultural depictions" on the product page but keep it available. It's not a good book, and not only for its dated cultural depictions (its rules-content is also a mostly-unplaytested mess), but at least to me it's still an interesting historical artifact representing the more-or-less literal turning point between the Gygax and post-Gygax eras of TSR/AD&D and the utter chaos TSR was in during 1985, about which the product notes on the DriveThruRPG page give a pretty good summary so I won't repeat it here.

That's my preferred approach for any "artifacts of their time". Keep them around, disclaimers and what have you about the context in which they were created, so they can be consumed and then judged on their own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back