AD&D Psionics & The Black Hack

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

cranebump

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I found a used copy of the old "AD&D 2E Complete Psionics Handbook" in the LGS. As I'm reading it, I'm realizing this can easily be ported to The Black Hack by using the "Power Score" as the roll needed. For example, "Animate Object" is INT - 3. So, a character with 15 INT, would function as 12 INT (roll under). Or flip the - to a + and you have your difficulty (which might be easier). Additionally, rolling a '20' is a bad thing in this version of D&D Psionics (the book contains entries for what happens when you do). Since Black Hack is roll under, and 20 always fails, it just sorta falls into place.

Only thing is, I never actually used any Psionics in the game, even thought I played quite a bit of 2E back in the day. For those who did, my questions are:

(1) How well did the psionics system work?
(2) Do Psionics coexist well alongside magic?
(3) If I were going to tack on this version of Psionics to TBH, would I best served with a highly truncated list, in fitting with the spirit of the system? if so, what are the "must have" powers/abilities?

Thanks in advance,
E

P.S. I'm considering maybe using this book as fuel for an antagonist organization. Psionicists could be scary foes.

The consensus is that 2e psionics is OP and (contradicting that as well) that the skill check to activate powers was too depowering. I'd remove the skill check. The OP claim never bothered me as I think by that logic most spells above 3rd level are OP but YMMV.

I think it is a good fit in Dark Sun where the power level of play tended to be quite high to begin with. The Will and Way for Dark Sun is also generally thought to be a good addition to the handbook.

I was never a fan of the psionic battle rules in either the handbook or The Will and the Way and ignored them.

For a simplified psionics system to match BH you may want to look at the OSR Basic Psionics Handbook. I keep intending to check it out as I'm a big fan of 2e psionics.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back