Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Book of Travels

I think this is an mmorpg where you hang out and drink tea? Or something. It's supposed to have lots of NPCs and things but no central plot. Has a magic system based on knots. It's already funded and has 11 days to go. $21 for the game. I like the background art but the characters have weirdly long legs.

This isn't quite a pimping as I know nothing of the makers or the game beyond looking at the website for five minutes. I'm not sure if I'm getting it or not. It might be a great fit for someone here. <shrug>

Book of Travels

I think this is an mmorpg where you hang out and drink tea? Or something. It's supposed to have lots of NPCs and things but no central plot. Has a magic system based on knots. It's already funded and has 11 days to go. $21 for the game. I like the background art but the characters have weirdly long legs.

This isn't quite a pimping as I know nothing of the makers or the game beyond looking at the website for five minutes. I'm not sure if I'm getting it or not. It might be a great fit for someone here. <shrug>
Why play that as a game when I can live it here?

Medieval Dead is in it's last 48 hours. I backed a previous KS from these guys as well, really characterful, high-quality figures

Especially like the Not-Bram-Stoker's Dracula

d6bea29e82b5adfb836b4197f8d9c1ed_original.jpg

Dawn of Madness by Diemension Games has started today, already funded and is tearing through the stretch goals with great alacrity (These are some awesome stretch goals both for minis, mechanics and lore). I backed their last one (Deep Madness) and was quite happy with what I got. This time their doing more a Silent Hill aesthetic in their minis and more of a narrative approach mixed with resource management than a Heroquest-style dungeon-crawl with their mechanics (to match the silent Hill feel). Honestly, it might just be worth it for the minis. Great stuff If you like Silent Hill-style monsters of course. Of special note is the optional buy of Faces of the Sphere Expansion for $35. Amazing value for some of the Best looking minis from Deep Madness.

UPDATE
they just added a new add-on! The Watchers Expansion, $14 for three cool monster minis Infinite, Genesis, and Eternal. I'm wondering how good they'd look converted into a Dark Mechanicus army for Warhammer 40k?

Last edited:
new Car Wars KS
It looks really interesting, love the minis. I just hope you can still build you own cars - it wouldn't be Car Wars without it.

In the early days of CW, the first or second Uncle Als had rules for ram plates. The effect was double damage to whatever you're hitting and half damage to the vehicle. Damage from a head-on collision was already catastrophic, so...I can't tell you how many games I won by sending swarms of unarmed compacts loaded with front armor and ram plates. I believe SJG nerfed ram plates in a later edition - I can't be the only person who was taking down minibuses with turreted lasers by ramming them with barebones hatchbacks. Even if you lose the compact, the price difference insured you had many more of them than your opponent's kitted-out luxury cars.

So...this is adorable

6b405d6a62ac74d9fa3517c79bfd2297_original.JPEG

This might interest some of you:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...uctures-a5-card-handouts-for-rpgs/description
f9c42dee8009d47890e6ea288c40dcfa_original.jpg
I'd love to have these for use with Flashing Blades as, even though they are meant for fantasy games, most of the buildings look like they'd go great with my 17th century swashbuckler miniatures, but I don't do Kickstarter and even if I did I have no disposable income for the foreseeable future.

I'm a big fan of his cartography work (and his Midderlands setting is pretty creative too). I wish there was a PDF only option for this stuff; I really don't need any more physical do-dads, whatsits, and whatnots taking space on my bookshelves.

On January 2nd 2020, we'll be launching the Kickstarter campaign for Casting the Runes, our new Gumshoe-powered game of occult investigation in the world of M R James.

We've prepared a little preview of the book itself, and you can download a copy from: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...e6vS8Oq1XaS4Rx9c72XvX_hEcPTdC40edWBfmYlYQMHpw

Keep an eye on facebook and other sites for more news on the Kickstarter launch, and please consider backing us so that we truly do cast favourable runes!

He has Towns & Villages Handy Maps on Drivethru that look really good.

We're delaying the launch of the Kickstarter by a few days to make sure that our campaign is absolutely the best it can be. Watch this space for more details, but you won't have too long to wait!

Man, I love me some MR James, but I've thought of his works as especially gameable. This will require some thoughting....

Man, I love me some MR James, but I've thought of his works as especially gameable. This will require some thoughting....
I'm the same... his stories are usually so subtle, and RPGs don't thrive on subtle.
Still, something like Call of Cthulhu but focused less on nihilistic alien realities... more on spiritual matters and the survival of traditional folklore... something with more gothic romance... and still with plenty of chances to be driven mad... I can see the entertainment in that.
And it's not like Call of Cthulhu games really conjure up HPL's original stories either... but if this comes as close to Machen I'll be interested (though I could do without plushies of The Great God Pan).

Now where is a game for Abraham Merritt?

I’ve just backed this which is in it’s last 48 hours and well funded. High quality standees for adventurers and monsters.

724D6A36-4AA8-41A6-979E-84F0177544F5.jpeg
92BDEE24-97CE-49A3-91B8-68ED93DFBA23.jpeg

I like battle maps and minis, but painting lots of monster minis isn’t for me so this seems like a pretty cool option.

So, James Spahn of Barrel Rider Games has teamed up with Gallant Knight to put out a new edition of The Hero’s Journey. It looks neat, and I know a lot of old school style fans are around.

How many sets did you back for and which ones?
You only need to specify what you want via Backerkit later, so at this point it’s just about the numbers.

On the FAQ, they suggest 10 packs gets you ‘everything’ - seven packs of standees, two packs of holders and one pack of bases. So that is what I went with. :grin:

You only need to specify what you want via Backerkit later, so at this point it’s just about the numbers.

On the FAQ, they suggest 10 packs gets you ‘everything’ - seven packs of standees, two packs of holders and one pack of bases. So that is what I went with. :grin:
It's kind of difficult to make out details on the minis in the pictures: I think I don't have interest in the Elementals, Legendary and Heroes ones.
Do you estimate one set of bases will suffice?

In the Skinny Minis Kickstarter I did not like the heroes, various demihumans and urban/civilian sets (overly shiny/spiky armor, fugly gnomes/dwarves/halflings) and some that were too specifically D&D-based (no need for tieflings, dragonborn, displacer beast, etc.).
So I guess I could use some more minis in a different style from another publisher. I assume the scale is more or less the same?

Last edited:
In terms of bases, since we are unlikely to use the minis for PCs, I think one pack of bases is enough. I still want the PC minis for NPCs, however.

The elementals are probably the weakest set, but I have a bit of a ‘thing’ for summoning elementals (ever since playing a BECMI M-U) so a pack Is attractive to me.

If I wanted to back but was a bit more conservative I would go for a smaller number and hope that they will allow you to increase your pledge at the ‘backerkit’ stage. That seems to be fairly standard, these days.

In terms of bases, since we are unlikely to use the minis for PCs, I think one pack of bases is enough. I still want the PC minis for NPCs, however.

The elementals are probably the weakest set, but I have a bit of a ‘thing’ for summoning elementals (ever since playing a BECMI M-U) so a pack Is attractive to me.

If I wanted to back but was a bit more conservative I would go for a smaller number and hope that they will allow you to increase your pledge at the ‘backerkit’ stage. That seems to be fairly standard, these days.
I went in for 6 sets and will decide on specifics when the Backerkit is up.

Reactions: dbm

We've conquered the challenge of shipping costs to the UK, Europe and Beyond and updated the pledge tiers accordingly! Help us in Casting the Runes!

Logo and KS rosette.jpg

the project is rapidly approaching $1m as of this post.

the project is rapidly approaching $1m as of this post.
Can't wait for the Ender 3 head that lets you merge 10 colors and do this at home.

Hello, RPG Pub!

I want to tell you about the tabletop RPG Kickstarter that we are launching tomorrow (January 21) at 10 am EST. I am also subscribed to this thread, so I'd be happy to answer questions.

Age of Ambition is a fantasy roleplaying game set in a world rapidly leaving the traditional fantasy milieu behind. It's the game of forward-facing fantasy! Where the heroes help guide the world into a brave new era of promise or peril.

Live on Kickstarter!

What makes Age of Ambition different?

Fantasy has long been a backward-facing genre. It’s been mired in static worlds that stand unchanged for hundreds or even thousands of years, with no significant technological, magical or social progress.

But now we’re at a moment where fantasy, as a literary genre, is beginning to realize that societies change, grow and evolve, even if fantasy gaming has lagged behind.

Age of Ambition changes that. It presents a world in a state of rapid flux, where magical and technological advancements are challenging the long-standing social order. It’s a world that’s grown beyond medieval fantasy to become something new.

Furthermore, Age of Ambition casts the heroes as agents of social change. They are inventors and agitators, spies and civic leaders, who help guide the world into a brave and uncertain future.

About the Game

Age of Ambition will be a hardcover full-color book estimated at about 280 pages. The game uses the Saga Machine system. Its features include:
  • A lifepath-style character creation system, including birth omens, life events and careers that connect each character to the changing world.
  • A fully-realized fantasy setting, including social dynamics, history, magic, politics and plot hooks galore! Discover a world rapidly leaving the medieval behind and entering a new era of hope and trepidation.
  • Support for a wide spectrum of power and influence, from peasant revolutionaries to the leaders of nations.
  • Systems for personal ambitions, social change, inventions, trading goods, leading organizations, magic, combat, social status and more!
The World

Age of Ambition is inspired by a variety of fantasy fiction, including: Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, Terry Pratchett's Discworld, Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series and Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogies.

It takes place in the fantasy world of Trystell, home to a number of different peoples—from humans and minotaurs, to ogres and gnomes. It is also the moon of a gas giant, with a hostile sister moon that once tried to colonize the world.

Socially and culturally, Trystell is rapidly advancing from its equivalent of Earth’s Middle Ages, into what might be called the Early Modern era. This is giving rise to new ways of thinking, and to advances in both magic and technology.

Most of all, Trystell is a world that’s facing its future. It’s beholden to shades of gray and intrigue. No one knows what this new era will bring, but with it comes great peril and great promise.

So strap on your breastplate and pick up your pistol. There are discoveries to make, wrongs to right, tyrants to overthrow and new social orders to trial.

Support on Kickstarter!

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back