Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Its fine but Altered Carbon is just cyberpunk with body switching.

And gratuitous nudity. Don't forget the nudity. Not that most people would want to roleplay that.

I enjoyed the Netflix series. I could see running a cyberpunk style game in the setting. Not so sure about the new system.

Altered Carbon: The Role Playing Game will employ the Hazard System – a brand new game system that finds inspiration in popular engines like the Cortex System, Savage Worlds, and Outbreak: Undead.. all while delivering unique gameplay specifically designed for this RPG.
I was going to say that the example character sheets looked quite a bit like Savage Worlds.

I thought that the series was decent, but I'm not inclined to pick up a licensed Rpg for it. I also have an irrational hatred for dice symbology in Rpgs.

Capture.PNG

I always wonder about the creation of a new system for these things. like... there are A LOT of game systems out there. And yes, not all of them fit every style of play - but I find it incredibly hard to believe that your campaign world doesn't fit with one of the systems already out there. I can think of two systems off the top of my head that have body switching as a primary component and have been published within the last decade give or take a few months (eclipse phase being out in mid 2009, but also having a second edition last year).

And gratuitous nudity. Don't forget the nudity. Not that most people would want to roleplay that.

you know, I actually thought the nudity did a good job of showing the casual and temporal nature of the flesh in the world. It became a matter of course, and unimportant. But I suppose everyone has their own view on that.

of course, while I watched the series, I took notes for a hack ;)

The show was fine, and I especially enjoyed the actors.

But like it's already been noted, the setting and characters could be played with many RPG systems already established. If I was interested enough to buy something, I would buy the series of books.

Does anyone know how many book(s) does the TV show cover in term of narration ?

I enjoyed the nudity.

Lately, I've come to enjoy a good deal of (imagined) sexual tension in my roleplaying experience. It must come with age ;-) !

I only liked book 1 of the trilogy, and thought the TV show was an improvement. I am interested to see if the TV show can save the other two books for me as I thought they were pretty dire.

Modiphius should have gotten the license and released a 2d20 version.

Honestly, Modiphus getting licenses to turn all sorts of existing properties into 2d20 games is why I'm nonplused by this situation -- it's just oversaturation. It is kind of like the mid 90s when West End was making everything from Star Wars to Species to Men In Black into RPGs (or like in the late 80s when every cool movie got a Nintendo game adaptation). And honestly, it has nothing to do with whether the individual properties would work as a campaign, or whether the system is any good.

CPRed is coming out later this year along with Interface Zero 3.0.

My cyberpunk setting/system needs are set for the next decade+.

All the best nudity is gratuitous.

I'd never heard of Altered Carbon one way or another. Per the infallible Wikipedia, "Altered Carbon is an American cyberpunk web television series created by Laeta Kalogridis and based on the 2002 novel of the same title by English author Richard K. Morgan. In a world where consciousness can be transferred to different bodies, Takeshi Kovacs, a former soldier turned investigator, must solve a murder."

I loved the first book, and very much enjoyed the Nexflix show. I was even cool with the nudity. Still, I can't for some reason manage to get excited for the game. Probably just because I'm not "into" cyberpunk / transhumanism right now. One day that particular itch may need scratching and I may take a second look (assuming it makes it to market).

I'm liking the series, but as far as the game much depends on if it adds anything interesting to the already existing options.

Apparently season 2 starts at the end of the month. I'd forgotten how Poe was the best part.

We're entering the final week of the campaign.

So far we've unlocked six stretch goals. These include two adventure modules, a character options supplement, a campaign options supplement, a poster map, consequence cards and GM screen inserts. The next stretch goal is a bestiary!

Needless to say, I am excited.

(I want to be respectful about not spamming, so this is the one bump and only I am giving this thread.)

I've backed it to the tune of forty bucks. :smile:

Hey, will it be possible to play the first ogre to ever graduate from such-and-such prestigious wizard academy? 'Cause that'd be kinda awesome. :grin:

I've backed it to the tune of forty bucks. :smile:

Hey, will it be possible to play the first ogre to ever graduate from such-and-such prestigious wizard academy? 'Cause that'd be kinda awesome. :grin:
That is a very real possibility! Ogres are playable and they are slowly integrating into wider society.

The mechanics sound great! Like many, I have a love/hate relationship with cards. I appreciate the added depth and enjoy finding an artistically themed deck that fits the setting. But I can't shuffle and it's embarrassing to always have to ask someone else to do it. Good move on including an alternative.

You lost me with the setting. It sounds like everything + the kitchen sink and I have a hard time getting immersed in that type of world. The good news is that most people will love all those options so it might be the better choice. Best of luck! I think I'll go check out those other games mentioned here that use the same system.

The mechanics sound great! Like many, I have a love/hate relationship with cards. I appreciate the added depth and enjoy finding an artistically themed deck that fits the setting. But I can't shuffle and it's embarrassing to always have to ask someone else to do it. Good move on including an alternative.

You lost me with the setting. It sounds like everything + the kitchen sink and I have a hard time getting immersed in that type of world. The good news is that most people will love all those options so it might be the better choice. Best of luck! I think I'll go check out those other games mentioned here that use the same system.
The Mythic India one might be right up your alley:thumbsup:!

Hello! Hope it is OK to post this here.

We just launched a Kickstarter campaign and would really like your feedback and to answer any questions you might have. It is a deck of pregenerated level 1 character cards with awesome art, unique backgrounds, roleplaying hooks and all the necessary information to take the first steps into DnD 5e.

The goals are:

*Make it easier for DMs to introduce new players into the hobby by giving the players the Deck of Heroes, let them choose a character based on what it looks fun to play, and start the game in a just few minutes.

*Being able to plan a one-shot without having to spend too much time prepping pregens.

*Have a pool of inspiring characters for players and DMs, to use as player characters or flavourful NPCs.

Take a look if it sounds interesting!

Ptolus Kickstarter now up. If you want PDF you can get both flavours for $40...

It looks to me like a re-tooling if the 3e version, as opposed to a re-write, at least until they get into stretch goals...

Far too expensive for me. Pretty much got all that I can use at this point anyway.

Ptolus Kickstarter now up. If you want PDF you can get both flavours for $40...

It looks to me like a re-tooling if the 3e version, as opposed to a re-write, at least until they get into stretch goals...
If you are going to use it right away I have no doubt you would get $40 of value out of it but I suspect for me I wouldn't be able to get to it for a few years and by then it will go on sale somewhere

Monolith are going to have another crack at their Conqueror expansion for the Conan game. No skirmish-game head to head game this time, by the look of things, just more scenarios, maps and minis. Before the end of Feb 2020, I believe, which is a pretty fast turnaround - the previous version only failed at the start of the month!

They'll be using this one to shift the last copies of the King pledge from the 2015 KS. You are going to get an absolute shit-ton of minis for your money, a whole minis gaming hobby in a box (ok, three boxes).

Most of the figures are very nicely detailed, take paint well and look lovely painted.

Last edited:
A Visitor's Guide to the Rainy City: ($500 Goal, Ends on March 2nd)

This is a system-agnostic setting guide 'zine being Kickstarted as part of "'Zine Quest 2". Some friends of mine are running this, based on a setting my friend Rich created, I guess a decade or so back now. I remember him brainstorming on it for a BESM 2nd ed. game we never ran, but then we finally played in the setting using "Rules Cyclopedia" D&D, then a later campaign using The Fantasy Trip. The setting has also been run under other game systems, such as Castle Falkenstein, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, D&D 5e, and a system of his own design, each of which have shaped the flavor of things.

The idea: The Rainy City was once the home of a great college of magic, but in a previous age... something happened. Something was taken too far. And now it is the end of the world, all worlds lost to a great flood and every year refugees from these lost worlds wash up on the shores of the Rainy City, where the rains never stop. The Kickstarter can pitch the vibe of the place much better than me, but the guide details the various neighborhoods, characters, gangs, guilds and wizards of the many neighborhoods of the city, with hooks and ideas, etc. My friend Andrew has developed some nice fantasy cartography skills over the last few years and provides maps for the city and each neighborhood. Another friend, Bill, has developed a woodcut art style to evoke the era of the setting and has quite a few pieces pictured on the KS page you can check out.

RainyCityKnives.jpg

It would be easier to tell if they were clear about which 3e PDFs you get for that pledge level...

(Now added to the FAQ!)

c5abca5c1af223d1b98891c8773c84a5_original.jpg

I don't know why, but I'm particularly enarmoured that the game comes with "Bystanders" in the Bruce Timm artstyle.

KS is rife with so many of these "lifestyle" board games. I am getting serious fatigue from it, especially when they open with so many options right out of the gate.

On saying that, the Batman: The Animated Series - Gotham Under Siege board game, also by IDW, is a great game and has the same aesthetic.
1582055722553.png

It's the same company that did that one, as well as the Ninja Turtles game which uses the same system as this one - they are in fact compatible, so you can team up Ninja Turtles characters with Batman heroes/villains

GAH another thing from my childhood that I desperately loved but I can't possibly afford this.

...BUt I'm gonna be on the lookout for that Gotham City: Under Siege game. That looks totally boss.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back