Ancient Gaming

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
interestingly, i was just looking at HG Wells Little Wars half an hour ago. not quite so ancient, but definitely felt it with the sexism right up in the front.

edit: further reading convinces me that he was being tongue in cheek or sarcastic, as the greater body of his work is overtly feminist. people coming at this later, hopefully you'll read this part :smile:

Last edited:
interestingly, i was just looking at HG Wells Little Wars half an hour ago. not quite so ancient, but definitely felt it with the sexism right up in the front.

It's funny because it's true

OK, I just started laughing when I learned that "20-sided dice became commercially available around the early 1970s—right when table gamers were beginning to recognize the need for dice that would allow for more outcomes and make games more realistic"...:grin:

i genuinely hope so. hard to tell from the text though.
I think he was definitely poking fun, his writing tone is humorous throughout the text, but...at the time he wrote it, women kind of needed to be exceptional to not be stereotypical and have courage to defy cultural norms. So do men, only back then the norms were quite different.

That icosahedron was probably a secret society artifact and they would have to kill the uninitiated if they saw it. This is the original origin of the GMs screen, to hide the icosahedron from the eyes of the uninitiated. You do realize that the Platonic dialogs and Socratic method are just really old school PC-NPC interactions?

That icosahedron was probably a secret society artifact and they would have to kill the uninitiated if they saw it. This is the original origin of the GMs screen, to hide the icosahedron from the eyes of the uninitiated. You do realize that the Platonic dialogs and Socratic method are just really old school PC-NPC interactions?

In those days, when the GM railroaded players too much they forced them to drink poison...

I believe the Romans used to have some kind of gambling game involving d8s.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back