Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

...The post is pointing out how foolish the statement of 'You need to be Japanese to understand how bad Subs can be.' It's less WHAT is being said (As Japanese is closer to how Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back speaks so 1-1 translation is impossible) and more of HOW it's delivered.

Yeah I've seen a load of Japanese films and you can tell a good performance from a bad performance even if you don't know the language. Just like a French, Russian, Iranian, etc. film.

You can tell parts of it, but you can't tell nuance. A lot of what is wrong in that video is really weird intonation, and I guarantee that I can't tell if someone's intonation is odd in another language, because I don't know if the pauses in the sentences are in places that I don't know enough to know if it is off. I also can't tell if they are stressing the wrong syllables in a sentence. So you can get the overall jist of how good a performance is, but you can't get beyond very surface level.

Also, just to say, there are some things that just sound ridiculous in English, but our brains don't even recognize how ridiculous it sounds in Japanese. A lot of the over the top melodrama yelling in anime sounds stupid in English, but I hear the JP voices doing it and it is like "yeah, that's just anime".

So yeah, I prefer subs over dubs, BUT that doesn't mean that I have the proper understanding to know how good the original Japanese is. It just means that I CAN tell what is bad in the dubs, so the OG japanese voices work better for me.

(There are some exceptions in which I prefer the dub. Full Metal Panic's dub is good, and Gundam Wing's dub is nostalgiac so I can't watch it any other way).

You can tell parts of it, but you can't tell nuance. A lot of what is wrong in that video is really weird intonation, and I guarantee that I can't tell if someone's intonation is odd in another language, because I don't know if the pauses in the sentences are in places that I don't know enough to know if it is off. I also can't tell if they are stressing the wrong syllables in a sentence. So you can get the overall jist of how good a performance is, but you can't get beyond very surface level.

Also, just to say, there are some things that just sound ridiculous in English, but our brains don't even recognize how ridiculous it sounds in Japanese. A lot of the over the top melodrama yelling in anime sounds stupid in English, but I hear the JP voices doing it and it is like "yeah, that's just anime".

So yeah, I prefer subs over dubs, BUT that doesn't mean that I have the proper understanding to know how good the original Japanese is. It just means that I CAN tell what is bad in the dubs, so the OG japanese voices work better for me.

(There are some exceptions in which I prefer the dub. Full Metal Panic's dub is good, and Gundam Wing's dub is nostalgiac so I can't watch it any other way).

Obviously there are nuances we miss but I can tell that Toshiro Mifune and Setsuko Hara are great actors just as I can tell that Jean-Louis Trintignant and Isabelle Huppert are great actors.

For anime it's different because we're only getting the vocal performance but it's still not that different.

It's been quite a while...was Macross II the one with the protagonists being a band and/or the defensive ring of concert projection satellites around the solar system?

The latter. Or at least there are giant projection satellites to project a concert in the first battle in the first episode. The main character is a reporter.

"Policing in Ming China" is slowly becoming my favourite pseudo historical manga (or is it manhwa:shade:?) at the moment. It starts slow with cultivation and stuff, but then it gets a very funny picture of the actual job...:grin:

Reading Tezuka's One Hundred Tales. A loose retelling of Faust with a fox spirit playing the Mephistopheles role.

61DMDxzBxxL._SL1500_-3579463885.jpg

But Tezuka's tale is much more light hearted with touches of humour and metacommentary that he jettisons in his later adult comics but I thought was charming here.

Apparently this was originally intended to be an adult anime feature and was written around the same time as Tezuka's erotic features One Thousand and One Nights and Cleopatra but when those films bombed he adapted the script to manga. But the eroticism is muted here compared to his later adult comics.

Famous, or... Infamous?

(Not a bad thing either way!)

Similiar to some Mystery Science Theatre movies, I think watching Ghost Stories without the hilarious dub may require an iron will and no small amount of masochism.

Similiar to some Mystery Science Theatre movies, I think watching Ghost Stories without the hilarious dub may require an iron will and no small amount of masochism.
Ghost Stories and Garzey's Wing. Though at least Ghost Stories dub is hilarious because it was the intention with the dub.

Garzey's Wing's dub is just hilarious because it is very very ass. Like the anime itself and the dub is somehow even more amazingly bad.

Ghost Stories and Garzey's Wing. Though at least Ghost Stories dub is hilarious because it was the intention with the dub.

Garzey's Wing's dub is just hilarious because it is very very ass. Like the anime itself and the dub is somehow even more amazingly bad.

Looks craptastic!

North America Macross Plus Blu Ray pre-orders start today

Just finished Seraphim 266613336Wings via Hoopla, the amazing if incomplete manga from Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell) and Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Paprika).

1000006581.jpg

It's set in a near-future China, torn apart from civil war and the devastation of the 'angel plague' that drives people to madness, hallucinations, death and partially grown, misshapen angel wings bursting from their backs.

The plague is somehow also connected to the worldwide outbreak of hostile birds dominating the skies, making dirigibles the only safe way to fly.

A few members of a strange religious cult, some combination of the UN's WHO and the Hippocratic Oath, are trying to bring a mute girl and her aged but deadly basset hound back to the village where she was first found in Central Asia.

Surreal, mystical, violent with impressive art by Satoshi Kon (whose remarkable and also incomplete meta-manga Opus is very much worth checking out, in addition to his brilliant features).

Note, it is incomplete and ends on a cliffhanger because Oshii and Kon had a falling out creatively. But like Kafka's The Castle or Camus' The First Man, I'd rather have this incomplete than a hundred complete but disposable manga.

God bless Dark Horse books for translating and releasing this near masterwork in 2015.

PS. Reading the dumb weeaboo reviews of this manga reinforces my dislike of that particular subculture.

Last edited:
North America Macross Plus Blu Ray pre-orders start today

Am I reading this right and it's two discs for that price?

Am I reading this right and it's two discs for that price?

Yep.

Edit:

Factors for why I think it's so high.

• Limited audience. Younger/Modern anime fans are not interested in any of this old stuff at all.
  • Aging ultra hardcore audience with a long history of buying expensive boutique items.
  • Disney has the streaming rights.
  • Anyone interested in a bargain price has long since pursued other means to get these.

Last edited:
Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back