Announcing Minimal OpenD6, an SRD for Mini Six

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

T. Kurt Bond

Pubber
Reaction score

Announcing Minimal OpenD6, an SRD for Mini Six

Anybody interested in an SRD for Mini Six? Since Mini Six is under the Open Game License, I have created one for it, Minimal OpenD6. (It does not include the Product Identity portions, of course.)

If you just want to read the rules I still think the original Mini Six: Bare Bones Edition is a great document, packing so much into a dense but readable layout, so download it for free or get a print copy. However, if you want a custom version of the rules, whether you are producing a completely new game or just want a version of the rules with all your house rules incorporated, this should be a great starting point.

Why start with Minimal OpenD6 instead of of OpenD6? Because you want to start with a minimal core and add things gradually, rather than starting with a very large document and cutting out everything you don’t want! (Different approaches work better for different folks.)

Minimal OpenD6 provides reStructuredText source for the document, as well as simple PDF, HTML, EPUB, Microsoft Word .docx, OpenOffice/LibreOffice .odt, and Markdown output. Conversions to other formats are possible using pandoc or other means.

If you just want the output files without any of the stuff used to build them, look at the releases page in the repository for a zip file.

Thank you for posting this! I know this is a tangent but does anyone know the status of OpenD6, the system WEG left us? I only ask as the various OpenD6 products are no longer free. Is there still the equivalent of a SRD for the original system that other creators can use and cite or has that changed since Nocturnal Media acquired the rights?

This is stella, I've been thinking about using MiniSix for something and this makes it so much easier.

OpenD6 is still open. It's like pandora's box, it can't be reclosed, once there is permission for you to use it that remains.

The 'new' version used in Zorro isn't open (as far as I'm aware), and that is fine because it has been re-written and therefore doesn't fall into the OGL (which is what OpenD6 was released under).

Thank you for posting this! I know this is a tangent but does anyone know the status of OpenD6, the system WEG left us? I only ask as the various OpenD6 products are no longer free. Is there still the equivalent of a SRD for the original system that other creators can use and cite or has that changed since Nocturnal Media acquired the rights?
The pdfs are still free at the Open Game Content RPG Library, so I'm assuming the system is still open. Nocturnal, iirc, licensed the rights to Gallant Knight Games. They used it in the Zorro rpg. Supposedly they are going to release a D6 System 2nd edition. The company never gives release dates though, so no clue when that might come out (it was announced back in 2019)

Gotcha, yeah I know you can find them on various archives and libraries but you have to excuse me if I don’t totally trust that everything uploaded is free and clear. OpenD6 Fantasy, Space and Adventure are no longer free on DrivethruRPG which is one of the reasons I posed the question. That said The Convenient Skill The Convenient Skill answered my question and I believe I have heard that before. I still have copies downloaded from when those products were free. I do appreciate that link though, thank you urbwar urbwar .

It does seem weird that something previously released for free has had a price tag slapped back on it, admittedly not much but still a bit weird for something released under the OGL.

Thanks for posting this. I'm really liking the concise writing and presentation of various D6 rule options.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back