Anyone familiar with PbtA games?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Silverlion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Anywhere really familiar with PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) engine?

I am. :dice: What did you want to know?

I am. :dice: What did you want to know?
Mostly I'm trying to create one. I'm considering stats, just not sure what's a good balance since the game centers around everyone having two characters (of a sort.) Basically Diakaiju monster game, mixed with Digimon. Everyone has a mini-Kaiju, that they can synchronize with, and control, mostly. It can be made into a giant for a little while to fight evil Daikaiju. I'm wondering if I should only stat the monsters, and build bonds only for the human PC's. Bonds like "I have a secret crush on _______" "I consider _____ my rival and must prove my methods are superior."

Also trying to figure out what stats work best for Kaiju/Daikaiju I was considering Kickbutt, Attunement, Intuition, Juice, then hit a snag with the U. Not that I need it to spell something out, just what would be useful for Kaiju. Each owner has their own methods of synchronizing to their monster (technology, magic, spirit, etc.) They can lose control if an attunement roll fails during a conflict. By the time I'm done, it may not be PBTA, but I think it would be a system that works. (High school kids attuned to Kaiju, so a combination giant monster/high school drama game.)

How about Ukiyo (roughly life as in the mundane world but can stretch as needed)

I just gooogled Japanese words begin ing with U

Now there’s also understanding, umbrage, umph, urge that begin with U

Urge might work, but I'm not quite sure how just yet.

Urge to do Kaiju things - smash, crush, destroy which they have to balance with things their human side want.

Urge to do Kaiju things - smash, crush, destroy which they have to balance with things their human side want.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, problem is that makes it sort of a counter attribute to Attunement, which is how well the human controls their monster, that's not a common thing in PbTA. On the other hand, I can see it quite well as a concept.

Mostly I'm trying to create one.

PbtA games aren't combat games; you may want to look at a different engine if you want to focus on the kaiju-on-kaiju part. Stat the kaiju the same way gangs/workshops are statted out and focus on the humans. Also, PbtA games usually only have four stats.

In terms of Kaiju you may want to look at Michael Prescott's PbtA Mecha game Too Good to Be True to see one way to use PbtA for more dynamic combat without becoming too fiddly.

PbtA games aren't combat games; you may want to look at a different engine if you want to focus on the kaiju-on-kaiju part. Stat the kaiju the same way gangs/workshops are statted out and focus on the humans. Also, PbtA games usually only have four stats.

Actually, most of the ones I've played have had more. Dungeon World has 6, Impulse Drive has 5, Monster of the Week has 5. IIRC. So varying the number is not a big deal.

Did you know there are black swans in Australia?
Yes.
In another reality, there are mathematically proven blue geese. Interesting no?

Masks uses five different labels. Sixth World uses five stats. Legacy uses three for cultures.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back