Apocalypse World vs Mörk Borg

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I actually loved the writing. One of the funniest things I've read. Not for everyone though, not at all. The mechanics are buried under a load of satire and waxky, for sure. At the time i used the mechanics to run some other games, and it worked well.
Adult-me might well enjoy it for what it is. Teenage-me wasn't overly impressed, but in hindsight that may be because of the guy running it; he was all about being edgy, but his sense of humor wasn't as good as he thought it was.

Also, when I finally got the chance to read through the book the artsy layout didn't help any. I like my text plain and clear, thank you very much.

Certainly. Like I would say there's a clear categorical difference between GURPS and Storybrewers stuff (e.g. Alas for the Awful sea), but for Mörk Borg and Apocalypse World it's not near this stark. As I mentioned above Savage Worlds in the newest edition with the adventure cards has many narrative mechanics and many PbtA games are closer to simply player-facing than narrative, but they're each grandfathered into their respective categories.

However despite the absence of some deep categorical difference, if one isn't interested in movements I would say they're quite different mechanically and the overall settings are very different, much more than say Traveller and Eclipse phase. In that regard I would say they are quite different games.
That's curious because I find Traveller and Eclipse Phase to be quite mechanically different with entirely different emphases - you don't get any notion of rules to design starships in Eclipse Phase, for example, and their are none of the randomised tables for generating characters, or any other stuff we see in Traveller. It may be a perspective thing, but like I say, I see a whole bunch of palpable similarities between AW and MB by comparison.

I do agree with Savage Worlds though, that has never gone it of its way to label itself in any particular way. Savage Worlds is marketed and seen as just being Savage Worlds.

Adult-me might well enjoy it for what it is. Teenage-me wasn't overly impressed, but in hindsight that may be because of the guy running it; he was all about being edgy, but his sense of humor wasn't as good as he thought it was.

Also, when I finally got the chance to read through the book the artsy layout didn't help any. I like my text plain and clear, thank you very much.
See, for me, the opposite is true. I think a plain text layout would have made the game suck pretty hard. A big part of the charm for me was the DIY hand lettered thing. I was almost like a comic book that also happened to be an RPG. I see how that approach would be divisive though, for sure. The experience of guys trying and failing to be as funny as the author is something I know well. :trigger:

It may be a perspective thing, but like I say, I see a whole bunch of palpable similarities between AW and MB by comparison
That's probably the best thing to focus on. What are these similarities?

I don't know about both being art books, but they certainly seem similar in that both are released as kinds of art pieces.

I don't really see how anyone can characterize AW as an art book at all. It's full of two-tone stock art, there's no fancy layout, no waxing lyrical. i just don't see it.The whole reason it's as influential as it is is the mechanics and goals of the game, not the art, or artiness, or even anything art-adjacent. Perhaps someone can can up with an explanation that convinces me otherwise.

Like I said, not an art book but an art piece. The rules and system are a kind of statement about what games are and what they ought to be. The actual graphic design is secondary to that. Moerk Boerg is much the same, just riffing on the OSR side of things.

I'd say the graphic design in Mork Borg is primary and the rules serve to emphasize the mood created by the art.

Like I said, not an art book but an art piece. The rules and system are a kind of statement about what games are and what they ought to be. The actual graphic design is secondary to that. Moerk Boerg is much the same, just riffing on the OSR side of things.
I think that's maybe only true of AW in retrospect. Baker had written other stuff with the same sensibilities previously, so it's not as though he was breaking new ground even for his own stuff. Now it certainly seems like a 'statement' of some kind, but I'm pretty convinced some of that has to do with the subsequent explosion in popularity of the PbtA engine.

I don't really see how anyone can characterize AW as an art book at all. It's full of two-tone stock art, there's no fancy layout, no waxing lyrical. i just don't see it.The whole reason it's as influential as it is is the mechanics and goals of the game, not the art, or artiness, or even anything art-adjacent. Perhaps someone can can up with an explanation that convinces me otherwise.
Well, the answer to that is that art is subjective, and it is certainly the case that AW has tried to incorporate a certain tone and attitude into the physical design of their game too. There is, at least, an iconic cover which is what a load of people were wearing on T-shirts in the last conference I attended.

That's probably the best thing to focus on. What are these similarities?
- The relative (and unusual) small size of the books.
- The relative simplicity of each system - including the eschewing of long skill lists for example, and easy reference of rules tied to particular effects.
- The aforementioned ‘attitude’ in the respective writing for each book.
- The dark apocalyptic nature of each setting, and the point that the setting is more implied than detailed in both cases.
- The use of archetypes/classes to present character types.
- The open invitation to third parties to build on the work and the promotion of a subculture.

That’ll do for starters won’t it?

Last edited:
I tried googling Apocalypse World art, but have no idea if what the internet is showing me is pages from inside the game.

If they are, there's nothing even remotely similar to the page design incorporated into Mork Borg's presentation - I'm just seeing pretty bog standard pages from an illustrated RPG.

Well, the answer to that is that art is subjective, and it is certainly the case that AW has tried to incorporate a certain tone and attitude into the physical design of their game too. There is, at least, an iconic cover which is what a load of people were wearing on T-shirts in the last conference I attended.
You don't think the tshirts are a product of what the game is now rather than what it was designed to be when it was published? The fact the art is subjective doesn't really change the fact the AW isn't an art book by any definition of the term. Does it have design principles? Yes. Are those pretty specific about story telling? Again, yes, but are RPG mechanics art? You'd have to say yes if you want to make the argument you're making.

Last edited:
- The relative (and unusual) small size of the books.
- The relative simplicity of each system - including the eschewing of long skill lists for example, and easy reference of rules tied to particular effects.
- The aforementioned ‘attitude’ in the respective writing for each book.
- The dark apocalyptic nature of each setting, and the point that the setting is more implied than detailed in both cases.
- The use of archetypes/classes to present character types.
- The open invitation to third parties to build on the work and the promotion of a subculture.

That’ll do for starters won’t it?
It will.

I think we could sum that up with:
  1. They're both small book class-based rules light apocalyptic games with implied settings.
  2. They're both games with attitude going for a DIY culture.
I'll agree with the second point. It's clear enough and I definitely don't want to get into defining "attitude".

Regarding the first point.

So first that they're small books. Apocalypse world is still three times the page length of Mork Borg and over six times the word count. It's length is comparable to many standard games, where as Mork Borg is genuinely small with unusually little text.

Secondly and more importantly I think: Let's look at the classes. A Mork Borg class is some alternate stat and equipment generation rules and a perk. Classes are also optional. An Apocalypse World playbook is central to the rules and contains things like this for the Angel for example:

Screenshot_2020-10-30 Apocalypse World 2e - Core Rulebook pdf(1).png
and this:
Screenshot_2020-10-30 Apocalypse World 2e - Core Rulebook pdf.png

These are far more detailed than anything for the Mork Borg optional classes. The medkit has timed player determined narrative choices for example.

Rules wise they're both at the lighter end.

In Mork Borg there's an apocalypse coming, in Apocalypse World it has already happened.

I think so many games can be described as "rules light with implied settings" that it doesn't particularly point out a strong commonality and their "classes" are so different as to not really be the same thing at all. The odd perk versus a detailed framing of the game with type and even time dependent narrative control.

The only commonalities then are "DIY with attitude" and "there's an apocalypse". To somebody who doesn't care about the RPG scene and was just picking up the games this would collapse to just "there's an apocalypse" with the proviso that in Mork Borg it's coming.

They're genuinely so different in their approach and the style and feel of the (coming or not) apocalypse that to me it would be like recommending Dark Souls to somebody on the basis that they liked Beneath a Steel Sky. They're both apocalyptic computer games, but beyond that there's not really much and the style of the apocalypse is utterly different.

Last edited:
Dark Souls was a goddam awesome game, though.

And, besides Berserk, the biggest influence on Kingdom Death.

It will.

I think we could sum that up with:
  1. They're both small book class-based rules light apocalyptic games with implied settings.
  2. They're both games with attitude going for a DIY culture.
I'll agree with the second point. It's clear enough and I definitely don't want to get into defining "attitude".

Regarding the first point.

So first that they're small books. Apocalypse world is still three times the page length of Mork Borg and over six times the word count. It's length is comparable to many standard games, where as Mork Borg is genuinely small with unusually little text.

Secondly and more importantly I think: Let's look at the classes. A Mork Borg class is some alternate stat and equipment generation rules and a perk. Classes are also optional. An Apocalypse World playbook is central to the rules and contains things like this for the Angel for example:

View attachment 23841
and this:
View attachment 23842

These are far more detailed than anything for the Mork Borg optional classes. The medkit has timed player determined narrative choices for example.

Rules wise they're both at the lighter end.

In Mork Borg there's an apocalypse coming, in Apocalypse World it has already happened.

I think so many games can be described as "rules light with implied settings" that it doesn't particularly point out a strong commonality and their "classes" are so different as to not really be the same thing at all. The odd perk versus a detailed framing of the game with type and even time dependent narrative control.

The only commonalities then are "DIY with attitude" and "there's an apocalypse". To somebody who doesn't care about the RPG scene and was just picking up the games this would collapse to just "there's an apocalypse" with the proviso that in Mork Borg it's coming.

They're genuinely so different in their approach and the style and feel of the (coming or not) apocalypse that to me it would be like recommending Dark Souls to somebody on the basis that they liked Beneath a Steel Sky. They're both apocalyptic computer games, but beyond that there's not really much and the style of the apocalypse is utterly different.
Well there are lots of Powered by the Apocalypse games out there that make the archetypes optional, and definitely plenty of OSR games where the Classes are not optional. Remember that the notion here is that both games are representative as examples of their respective movements - and we are looking for categorical differences that make one thing indie and the other OSR. The fact that there is an attempt to define Archetypes in one game and Classes as being somehow distinct is an aspect, to me, about how the differences are more superficial than anything else. They both use these archetypal devices to assist in designing characters.

Likewise, there are also OSR games that aren’t especially flash in their interior art, and indie/narrative games that are (Bluebeard’s Bride?). However, in these examples, regardless of whether the art is more pronounced than the other, they are both trying to incorporate their physical presentation into their overall design brief. The fact that both are incorporating apocalyptic settings may just be incidental, but tying in with the ‘attitude’ we have mentioned I think it’s more that apocalyptic settings give the particular edge and flavor to the design brief. The fact that the settings are more implied than detailed, equally so.

The length of the text or detail in the systems respectively are comparable to the rest of the market insofar that they are still both smaller gamebooks than many other games. You tend to find a lot of self-identified indie games to choose smaller books, and I guess we could also cite Lamentations of the Flame Princess as an example of this for OSR too. We can make qualitative comparisons between each respective page/word count there is, but in terms of their representation of their respective movements compared to other games, they still have a lot of similarities.

Last edited:
Remember that the notion here is that both games are representative as examples of their respective movements - and we are looking for categorical differences that make one thing indie and the other OSR.

Is that all you're looking for? Oh, that's easy.

Mork Borg is based upon TSR-era D&D. Apocalypse World is not.
Mork Borg promotes a traditional playstyle. Apocalypse World promotes a narrative-driven playstyle.
Mork Borg identifies itself as an "OSR RPG". Apocalypse World does not.

Is that all you're looking for? Oh, that's easy.

Mork Borg is based upon TSR-era D&D. Apocalypse World is not.
Mork Borg promotes a traditiona playstyle. Apocalypse World promotes a narrative-driven playstyle.
Mork Borg identifies itself as an "OSR RPG". Apocalypse World does not.
Well, Mörk Borg has only four stats, rather than the 6 stats of TSR-era D&D, and it doesn’t use Saving Throws, THACO tables or Weapon Proficiencies. Character Classes, as pointed out above, are optional. It doesn’t have Races or Levels. It has Armour rated by damage reduction dice, rather than setting the difficulty to hit. While there are obvious influences from OD&D, there are plenty of differences while you could also suggest that Apocalypse World has been influenced in design from OD&D too. It too essentially uses Classes (they just call them Playbooks instead), and isn’t skill based at all, for example.

I don’t really hold that there is any true distinction between a ’traditional’ play style or a narrative-driven one. Games like Pendragon or Paranoia are frequently included in lists of traditional roleplaying games, and certainly predate things like The Forge that championed the notion of narrative games. Yet they both have very structured approaches to narratives. Pendragon campaigns work on a yearly basis and, if you go the whole hog with the Great Pendragon Campaign, have very specific narrative direction. Paranoia games pretty much all share the same story arc. Powered by the Apocalypse games don’t necessarily need to follow any particular narrative structure by contrast - the story development is determined through the outcome of random dice rolls in play (the ‘fail forward’ notion and so on). Mörk Borg campaigns seem to be also designed through random dice rolls. What is the difference?

And with regards to what each game labels themselves as, the question here is to whether those self defined labels can actually be substantiated to anything beyond being a label. That’s the point of this thread.

Last edited:
Well, Mörk Borg has only four stats, rather than the 6 stats of TSR-era D&D, and it doesn’t use Saving Throws, THACO tables or Weapon Proficiencies. It has Armour rated by damage reduction dice, rather than setting the difficulty to hit. While there are obvious influences from OD&D, there are plenty of differences

while you could also suggest that Apocalypse World has been influenced in design from OD&D too. It too essentially uses Classes (they just call them Playbooks instead), and isn’t skill based at all, for example.

I think that's a pretty flimsy argument in both cases, but I mean, if it isn't obvious to you that Mork Borg was based upon early editions of D&D, there's no reason to bother with assumptions. The creators have flat out said so, on numerous occassions. Has there been any time that Vincent Baker claimed Apocalypse World's system was based on any edition of D&D?

I don’t really hold that there is any true distinction between a ’traditional’ play style or a narrative-driven one.

lol, well I don't know what to tell you about that. Seems like a can of worms for another thread.

And with regards to what each game labels themselves as, the question here is to whether those self defined labels can actually be substantiated to anything beyond being a label. That’s the point of this thread.

I'd just refer back to my initial point. OSR games are based upon TSR-era D&D. PbtA games are not. There's also the matter of the ethos of Old School playstyle, but you said you don't recognize that distinction, so I wouldn't bother pointing you towars the Old School Primer or anything. I'll just agree to disagree on that one.

I think that's a pretty flimsy argument in both cases, but I mean, if it isn't obvious to you that Mork Borg was based upon early editions of D&D, there's no reason to bother with assumptions. The creators have flat out said so, on numerous occassions. Has there been any time that Vincent Baker claimed Apocalypse World's system was based on any edition of D&D?
That’s just repeating what you said before. Look, we *all* know that Mörk Borg sells itself as OSR - you don’t need to point it out to us again. I explained this myself in the first post on this thread. And to the point of Apocalypse World and Vincent Baker statements, its kinda moot because every single RPG out there, at one level or another is based on D&D. The point is the detail. You are failing to address the points raised in my last post - there are clear differences between Mörk Bork and OD&D, as there are clear similarities between Apocalypse World and OD&D.

lol, well I don't know what to tell you about that. Seems like a can of worms for another thread.
Well, no. It’s pretty much a central part of what the thread is about. I know ‘cos I started it! You could however, make the claim that you were the first person in the thread to specifically make mention of Trad vs Indie. :thumbsup:

I'd just refer back to my initial point. OSR games are based upon TSR-era D&D. PbtA games are not. There's also the matter of the ethos of Old School playstyle, but you said you don't recognize that distinction, so I wouldn't bother pointing you towars the Old School Primer or anything. I'll just agree to disagree on that one.
Nah, you are just repeating the same point again and ignoring the detail. The question is whether there is any substance to the claim that the Indie/Narrative and OSR game movements have categorical differences, primarily based on the examples of Apocalypse World and Mörk Bork. That is why comparing the detail of similarities or differences is the whole point here.

Last edited:
That’s just repeating what you said before. Look, we *all* know that Mörk Borg sells itself as OSR - you don’t need to point it out to us again. I explained this myself in the first post on this thread.

That's not the point I made though. I said we know Mork Borg was based on OD&D, because the authors have stated so. That it is billed as an OSR game is a completely different point.

You are failing to address the points raised in my last post - there are clear differences between Mörk Bork and OD&D, as there are clear similarities between Apocalypse World and OD&D.

Right, as I said, the points were flimsy. I meant by that they weren't strong enough arguments to address.

Sure there are differences between Mork Borg and OD&D. Because it's not a retroclone. But it's clearly, obviously, based upon Old School D&D. If you can't see that, I don't think there's enough of a common point of reference for us to communicate.

OTOH , Apocalypse World, only bears as much resemblance to D&D as (per your statement of the obvious above), every other RPG in existence. Vampire the Masquerade, Mythras, Warhammer, GURPs, D6, what have you.

So it's a matter of degrees. If you visualize it as a chart displaying proximity, you have D&D, and right next to it you have say, DCC, Tunnels & Trolls, and Mork Borg, and then waaaaaaaaaaaasay over there, ten miles down the road, is PtbA games.

In other words, saying "every RPG is ultimately based upon D&D" is reductio ad absurdum. It's pretty much like saying there's no difference between a Nascar racer and a firetruck because, ultimately, they were both based upon the Ford Model T.

Well, no. It’s pretty much a central part of what the thread is about.

A central part of what the thread is about is the old RPG vs Storygame debate? OK, well, good luck with that. I've just been there, done that. I don't think you've provided a framework to have that debate in any way that is meaningfully different or more productive than what's come before. But that's just my personal view.

Nah, you are just repeating the same point again

Yeah, I said I was making the same point again, because the point still stands.

...and ignoring the detail. The question is whether there is any substance to the claim that the game movements have categorical differences, primarily based on the examples of Apocalypse World and Mörk Bork. That is why comparing the detail of similarities or differences is the whole point here.

I think the relevant detail that you seem to be ignoring is the degrees I illustrated above. Mork Borg is directly based upon Old School D&D. Apocalypse World is not. There isn't any details that meaningfully disputes that or even calls it into question.

But, hey, it's your thread. My participation in it came from the tangent regarding the nature of the visual design in Mork Borg. I don't see this argument, regardless of it being your intention in the OP, of having any value to me. Like, it's not a burning question in my mind, or even something I see as up for debate, and nothing that's been stated so far has convinced me otherwise. And now that I know it was your intention to make this about Narrative vs Traditional playstyles, I am even less interested. So, we can agree to disagree as I said, and maybe someone else will be interested in pursuing that debate with you, but I'd rather not, personally.

That's not the point I made though. I said we know Mork Borg was based on OD&D, because the authors have stated so. That it is billed as an OSR game is a completely different point.
The whole point of OSR is it is based on OD&D, and besides, the fact that it is based on OD&D has already been stated. You are not saying anything that hasn’t already been stated and acknowledged by everybody this thread, so what you are saying is irrelevant at this point. It’s a strawman argument.

Right, as I said, the points were flimsy. I meant by that they weren't strong enough arguments to address.
If you can’t address the points, then *that* is a flimsy argument. The fact that you haven’t addressed the points means that they hold.

Sure there are differences between Mork Borg and OD&D. Because it's not a retroclone. But it's clearly, obviously, based upon Old School D&D. If you can't see that, I don't think there's enough of a common point of reference for us to communicate.
Again, you are just repeating yourself - and its a strawman argument. Nobody has disputed that the writers' intent and the manner that it is marketed is based on OD&D and is a self described OSR game, but there are still easily identifiable differences with OD&D - which I have presented to you and you have continued to fail to address.

OTOH , Apocalypse World, only bears as much resemblance to D&D as (per your statement of the obvious above), every other RPG in existence. Vampire the Masquerade, Mythras, Warhammer, GURPs, D6, what have you.
Vampire, Mythras, Warhammer, GURPS and D6 all have fully integrated skill-based systems. Most of them don’t have anything resembling Classes - Vampire’s Clans are archetypal at least, and certain editions of WFRP organise their Careers into Class groups, but they still aren’t really the same thing. Both Apocalypse World and OD&D are essentially based upon archetypal Classes, with discrete ability groups based around them and no established skill systems. So actually, there is more in common between Apocalypse World and OD&D than some of the other examples here.

So it's a matter of degrees. If you visualize it as a chart displaying proximity, you have D&D, and right next to it you have say, DCC, Tunnels & Trolls, and Mork Borg, and then waaaaaaaaaaaasay over there, ten miles down the road, is PtbA games.
Well, no, for the reasons cited above I do not accept your scale of difference. You are just asserting this proximity chart without real evidence.

In other words, saying "every RPG is ultimately based upon D&D" is reductio ad absurdum. It's pretty much like saying there's no difference between a Nascar racer and a firetruck because, ultimately, they were both based upon the Ford Model T.
No it’s not because the notion here is that there is more in common between roleplaying games of various movements than categorical differences. They all have their roots with D&D however, and to deny the influence of that source for any RPG is silly.

A central part of what the thread is about is the old RPG vs Storygame debate? OK, well, good luck with that. I've just been there, done that. I don't think you've provided a framework to have that debate in any way that is meaningfully different or more productive than what's come before. But that's just my personal view.
Thanks for the best wishes, but actually, as before in other threads, I don’t think your arguments really amount to anything more than ignoring evidence presented and simply asserting contrary statements.

Last edited:
Well there are lots of Powered by the Apocalypse games out there that make the archetypes optional, and definitely plenty of OSR games where the Classes are not optional. Remember that the notion here is that both games are representative as examples of their respective movements - and we are looking for categorical differences that make one thing indie and the other OSR
You're probably not going to find it.

Somebody could take a PbtA game, remove all narrative abilities from the playbooks and add a more detailed combat system and you'd basically be heading into there being no real difference, but they could still market it as PbtA.

However the majority of the games marketed under these two "brands" cluster around a common set of ideas. It's no different to there clearly being D&D and BRP games despite the existence of games like Mothership that aren't clearly in one camp. They're not exact classifications.

The fact that there is an attempt to define Archetypes in one game and Classes as being somehow distinct is an aspect, to me, about how the differences are more superficial than anything else. They both use these archetypal devices to assist in designing characters.
With massively different mechanical implementations. If you zoom out to this high level then every difference is superficial. Traveller and Mythras both "have skill systems", GURPS and Vampire both "have combat systems". PbtA and Mork Borg both "have archetypes". However beyond these very high level statements there are really no commonalities.

The length of the text or detail in the systems respectively are comparable to the rest of the market insofar that they are still both smaller gamecocks than many other games. You tend to find a lot of self-identified indie games to choose smaller books, and I guess we could also cite Lamentations of the Flame Princess as an example of this for OSR too. We can make qualitative comparisons between each respective page/word count there is, but in terms of their representation of their respective movements compared to other games, they still have a lot of similarities.
Well of course there are games longer than both of them. Apocalypse world and Mork Borg are still massively different in length. Mork Borg is unusually short and text light, where as Apocalypse World is of the same rough length as Cepheus and similar.

I mean I agree that they both have archetypes and that there exist books longer than both of them. I don't really see these as being particularly useful similarities. Especially when these archetypes are so utterly different in their actual mechanics and effects in game.

Last edited:
I think that's maybe only true of AW in retrospect. Baker had written other stuff with the same sensibilities previously, so it's not as though he was breaking new ground even for his own stuff. Now it certainly seems like a 'statement' of some kind, but I'm pretty convinced some of that has to do with the subsequent explosion in popularity of the PbtA engine.
Yeah. I think the closest thing to a statement you could make is "this is a game Vincent Baker wanted to be playing when he wrote it" and... surely you could say the same about any game not created as work-for-hire?

The whole point of OSR is it is based on OD&D, and besides, the fact that it is based on OD&D has already been stated. You are not saying anything that hasn’t already been stated and acknowledged by everybody this thread, so what you are saying is irrelevant at this point. It’s a strawman argument.

If you can’t address the points, then *that* is a flimsy argument. The fact that you haven’t addressed the points means that they hold.

Again, you are just repeating yourself - and its a strawman argument. Nobody has disputed that the writers' intent and the manner that it is marketed is based on OD&D and is a self described OSR game, but there are still easily identifiable differences with OD&D - which I have presented to you and you have continued to fail to address.

Vampire, Mythras, Warhammer, GURPS and D6 all have fully integrated skill-based systems. Most of them don’t have anything resembling Classes - Vampire’s Clans are archetypal at least, and certain editions of WFRP organise their Careers into Class groups, but they still aren’t really the same thing. Both Apocalypse World and OD&D are essentially based upon archetypal Classes, with discrete ability groups based around them and no established skill systems. So actually, there is more in common between Apocalypse World and OD&D than some of the other examples here.

Well, no, for the reasons cited above I do not accept your scale of difference. You are just asserting this proximity chart without real evidence.

No it’s not because the notion here is that there is more in common between roleplaying games of various movements than categorical differences. They all have their roots with D&D however, and to deny the influence of that source for any RPG is silly.

Thanks for the best wishes, but actually, as before in other threads, I don’t think your arguments really amount to anything more than ignoring evidence presented and simply asserting contrary statements.

You seem to desperately want to continue this debate, after I told you I was not interested.

I suggest you put your efforts into something healthier, I'm sure you could find a participant of this thread that you could make a meaningful reply to. . If I wasn't completely clear before, I don't find any of the "points" you think you've made compelling enough to warrant address. Throwing around the term "strawman" when that's clearly not the case and refusing to accept what's obvious to everyone except yourself is not going to cause me to change my assessment.

You seem to desperately want to continue this debate, after I told you I was not interested.

I suggest you put your efforts into something healthier, I'm sure you could find a participant of this thread that you could make a meaningful reply to. . If I wasn't completely clear before, I don't find any of the "points" you think you've made compelling enough to warrant address. Throwing around the term "strawman" when that's clearly not the case and refusing to accept what's obvious to everyone except yourself is not going to cause me to change my assessment.
If you you don’t want to continue in the debate, then why continue? And you did use a strawman argument, which was the only reason why it was pointed out.

You're probably not going to find it.

Somebody could take a PbtA game, remove all narrative abilities from the playbooks and add a more detailed combat system and you'd basically be heading into there being no real difference, but they could still market it as PbtA.

However the majority of the games marketed under these two "brands" cluster around a common set of ideas. It's no different to there clearly being D&D and BRP games despite the existence of games like Mothership that aren't clearly in one camp. They're not exact classifications.

With massively different mechanical implementations. If you zoom out to this high level then every difference is superficial. Traveller and Mythras both "have skill systems", GURPS and Vampire both "have combat systems". PbtA and Mork Borg both "have archetypes". However beyond these very high level statements there are really no commonalities.

Well of course there are games longer than both of them. Apocalypse world and Mork Borg are still massively different in length. Mork Borg is unusually short and text light, where as Apocalypse World is of the same rough length as Cepheus and similar.

I mean I agree that they both have archetypes and that there exist books longer than both of them. I don't really see these as being particularly useful similarities. Especially when these archetypes are so utterly different in their actual mechanics and effects in game.
Well, I have been pointing out clear similarities in the thread, and the point is that that they are there. If these two brands are clustered around a common set of ideas, then I am asking what they are?

What are the ‘massively different mechanical implementations" you see, when you essentially roll a designated die or dice in some combination and beat a target number? How are they utterly different? When you say zoom out to a high level, then what level do you need to zoom into to start establishing massive differences?

And like I say, both books are significantly smaller in physical design than typical RPGs that you normally find on your shelf. AW may have a bigger page count and better art than MB, but other indie/narrative games are shorter too - like My Life With Master, and many of them are stylized to one degree or another. The collective identifying point however, is that there is a tendency through all of them to make unusual sized books with a degree of aesthetic style to capture a certain feel within the parameter of what is affordable at the time. Baron Munchausen, which has promoted itself as the 'grandaddy of indie games’, started off as a game sold in a handful of pages. It then got more material and a bigger budget for colorful interiors as it went through second and third editions as an example.

So rather than stepping away from the debate that you don’t want to be involved in, you are just going to keep adding snark?

You gave a strawman argument when you argued that the game was based on OD&D because the game designers said so, because this wasn’t in dispute, and then increasingly made it strawman by then taking issue that this wasn’t the same as saying OSR. Neither points are in dispute and both are set up because it is easier to defeat them than the actual points being argued, that you refused to address. That is called a strawman argument.

Last edited:
You're all missing the point by asking the wrong question. I mean, just look at the title of this thread...

Apocalypse World vs Mörk Borg
So let's discuss whether the two should duke it out according to the rules of Fight!the Fighting Game RPG 2e, or the rules of Mush Shugyo RPG!

Yes, I'm still reading Fight 2e, why are you asking?

Yeah, I grabbed a copy of the pdf,. I don't think the term "art book" has any legitimate definition (pretty sure it can't be found in any dictionary), but comparing the visual design of AW to Mork Borg is like comparing subway graphitti to the Louvre.

Here's some typical pages from Apocalyse World....

aw0.jpgaw1.JPG
aw3.JPGaw4 (1).jpg

And this is Mork Borg...

mb0.jpg

mb1.jpg

mb2.JPG

mb3.jpg

So besides having just pretty bad art overall, Apocalypse World is sparsely illustrated, the vast majority of the book just being walls of text, and there's very little going on in terms of page design. It is minimalist at best.

Whereas Mork Borg is, in and of itself, a Work of Art, heavily designed, with the text incorporated into and emphasizing the art.

There's really no comparison on those terms.

So if someone described Mork Borg as an "art book", I really wouldn't have much of an objection. If someone tried to describe Apocalypse World as the same, I'd think they were loony bananapants.

So rather than stepping away from the debate that you don’t want to be involved in, you are just going to keep adding snark?

I'm not debating with you.

I provided you with the resources to see for yourself why your claim is nonsense, if you won't avail yourself of them, that's your choice, but I don't have any idea what you think you're accomplishing by repeating yourself again and again. It's not going to convince me you that you aren't wrong, it's not going to get me to argue your points, and honestly, you're just coming across as hostile and petulent, so what you think that will engender I can't imagine.

Is this just a thing where you have a psychological compulsion to have "The Last Word"?

The title is a bit of a clickbait, in as much as I am not really trying to get any conflict in preference between the two, as much as suggest that they both have quite a lot in common. This is remarkable because they both nominally are part of gaming movements that are sometimes seen as being diametrically opposed (by certain critics anyway). For the point of record, I’d also like to make it clear that I’m not here to bash either game or movement in this thread.

As it goes, Apocalypse World is sometimes pushed as a flagship game for 'narrative’ and ‘indie' games. The writer, Vincent Baker (along with Meguey Baker) is well know as a contributor and previous designer of indie games like Dogs in the Vineyard and, indeed, his company Lumpley Games still hosts the archives of The Forge - a sometimes controversial online group well known for promoting the indie/narrative movement in the 2000s. As such, Apocalypse World is something of an über-indie/narrative game in as much as it survived the end of The Forge and has itself spawned lots of spinoff games under the Powered by the Apocalypse brand.

When the question was asked a couple of weeks ago or so, Mörk Borg was suggested as a lasting RPG that would be significant from the OSR (Old School Renaissance) movement. It certainly identifies itself, openly as being OSR and takes a mindset of a looser, rules-lite roleplaying style while being in some ways compatible with D&D in some form or other.

The similarities? Well, both are packaged in smaller books and each have a very particular, graphic design. Both are obviously set in R18/slightly gonzo apocalyptic settings, although AW is more sci-fi-ish whereas MB is more a fantasy pseudo-medieval. Both games eschew skill lists in favor of a more centralized set of stats that impart simple bonuses/penalties on dice rolls. Both games rely upon other character qualities being self contained as rules-references - whether you generate particular scroll powers randomly on a table (MB) or select traits that specify what happens for each respective dice roll result. Both are open or at least encourage third party development.

There are some technical differences of course - AW uses 2D6 and MB uses polyhedral dice, for example. However, my question is if these are both held up as exemplars of the Indi/narrative and OSR movements respectively, what are the fundamental differences between the two that make them so?

Perhaps tangential to the OP but my impression, reinforced by this interview, is that because the designers of Mork Borg are (relatively) younger and Swedish their frame of reference for RPGs are quite different than English-internet-rpgers and they are little concerned or interested in the storygamer/trad divide.

What are the ‘massively different mechanical implementations" you see, when you essentially roll a designated die or dice in some combination and beat a target number? How are they utterly different? When you say zoom out to a high level, then what level do you need to zoom into to start establishing massive differences?
They're mechanically similar because in both you roll dice to beat a number? That's the vast majority of RPGs. Any level less vague than this will produce obvious differences if you just read the class descriptions.

AW has very detailed class specific mechanics and equipment that provide, in some cases timed, narrative control. Nothing like this in MB. MB has a conventional combat system with a back and forth of random damage, armour soaking and so forth. Apocalypse world has combat as conflict resolution with incremental damage and so on.

Any detailed look at the rules shows multiple differences. I don't really know if you're being serious when you think they're similar because in both you roll a dice.

I'm not debating with you.

I provided you with the resources to see for yourself why your claim is nonsense, if you won't avail yourself of them, that's your choice, but I don't have any idea what you think you're accomplishing by repeating yourself again and again. It's not going to convince me you that you aren't wrong, it's not going to get me to argue your points, and honestly, you're just coming across as hostile and petulent, so what you think that will engender I can't imagine.

Is this just a thing where you have a psychological compulsion to have "The Last Word"?
I bet it won’t be your last word though, eh? It hasn’t proven to be so far, and it wasn’t me who claimed he was walking away from the argument because he wasn’t interested. It is not me that is coming across as hostile and petulant.

You wish to frame your debate as not debating?! You are ‘providing resources’ to enlighten me? No. You are picking and choosing what things you want to be debated while ignoring arguments being made by your opponent.

Regarding the question of art, it is not a question of what art or layout is better, but the point that both games have deliberately designed their appearance to stand out. They have done this by making books that are notable smaller than usual books on the shelf and have particular designs that give them a certain flavour. As Necrozius pointed out above, both games are trying to convey that they have ‘attitude’ by their physical appearance. That is the similarity in the approach.

Last edited:
They're mechanically similar because in both you roll dice to beat a number? That's the vast majority of RPGs. Any level less vague than this will produce obvious differences if you just read the class descriptions.

AW has very detailed class specific mechanics and equipment that provide, in some cases timed, narrative control. Nothing like this in MB. MB has a conventional combat system with a back and forth of random damage, armour soaking and so forth. Apocalypse world has combat as conflict resolution with incremental damage and so on.

Any detailed look at the rules shows multiple differences. I don't really know if you're being serious when you think they're similar because in both you roll a dice.
So, following on, the significant difference between Indie/Narrative and OSR is that you use 2D6 to beat a target number verses D20s and other polyhedral dice? Hit points, while older as a method are still an incremental measure of damage. The Classes in MB also have class-specific abilities. They also have Omens, which allow for re-rolls and an element of narrative control. Admittedly, you do tend to have a lot more tabular rolling for random results rather than collaborative negotiation over the set up of the game. So is this the fundamental difference, I ask, between OSR and Indie/Narrative?

And, yep, I am being serious in asking these questions because my point, using these as primary examples, is that there is categorically more in common between the Indie/Narrative and OSR movements than there are differences. Indeed, the variations of individual games within each specific movement can actually be more varied than the differences between the categories.

Last edited:
Perhaps tangential to the OP but my impression, reinforced by this interview, is that because the designers of Mork Borg are (relatively) younger and Swedish their frame of reference for RPGs are quite different than English-internet-rpgers and they are little concerned or interested in the storygamer/trad divide.
That could well be the case, and I think the contribution of Swedish games to the RPG hobby has been absolutely massive in the last decade or so. They’ve probably come up with the most interesting games, while in an example like Kult: Divinity Lost actually bridged cultural gaps between so-called traditional and indie game design. Mörk Bork is actually unusual because it self identifies as part of the OSR movement, whereas a game like Mutant: Year Zero which created an entirely original approach to mechanics didn’t make any fanfare that it was part of any bigger trend.

As pointed out above, I’m also a big fan of games like Savage Worlds that have a very distinctive design but do not tie themselves to the mast of any particular movement - Savage Worlds is just Savage Worlds. This is kinda what I am getting at - individual games judged on their own individual merits rather than adhering to a model formed around a particular movement.

Agree with the OP. As a big fan of PbtA, I see more and more OSR scratching a very similar itch: presentations dripping personality and non-conventional aesthetics with fast pick 'n play rules focused on producing fun and thematic stories.

Last edited:
So, following, the significant difference between Indie/Narrative and OSR is that you use 2D6 to beat a target number verses D20s and other polyhedral dice? Hit points, while older as a method are still an incremental measure of damage. The Classes in MB also have class-specific abilities. They also have Omens, which allow for re-rolls and an element of narrative control. Admittedly, you do tend to have a lot more tabular rolling for random results rather than collaborative negotiation over the set up of the game. So is this the fundamental difference, I ask, between OSR and Indie/Narrative?

And, yep, I am being serious in asking these questions because my point is, using these as primary examples, is that there is categorically more in common between the Indie/Narative and OSR movements than there are differences. Indeed, the variations of individual games within each specific movement can actually be more varied than the differences between the categories.
You have managed to completely miss the core difference in the base mechanics. PbtA uses a success/partial success/failure model that indexes partial success as the most common result. The use of 2d6 is done on purpose to make that the most common result. That's a completely different teleos of play than you see in D&D type games. The rest of the PbtA mechanics hand on and emphasize that key difference.

So, following on, the significant difference between Indie/Narrative and OSR is that you use 2D6 to beat a target number verses D20s and other polyhedral dice?
I never mentioned that, but I think the clustered nature of the 2d6 is necessary to get the spread AW wants.

Hit points, while older as a method are still an incremental measure of damage
By incremental I meant in AW it just goes up by +1 each time where as in MB it's random with armour soaks. The vast majority of RPGs have numerical HP in the sense you're talking about here. Again I don't think it's a major similarity.

And, yep, I am being serious in asking these questions because my point, using these as primary examples, is that there is categorically more in common between the Indie/Narrative and OSR movements than there are differences. Indeed, the variations of individual games within each specific movement can actually be more varied than the differences between the categories.
Well as I said above I don't think there is some rigid and fixed delineation between the two, nor does there really need to be. If there was it'd probably mean design had gone a bit stale. I'm not too into attaining the pure essence and separation of both types of games, since I like both.

However despite the presence of overlap across their respective "brand" categories I don't think AW and MB are all that similar themselves. I think most of what you're saying could be used to claim Mythras and 5E are basically extremely similar and edging into virtually all RPGs are basically the same. Ignoring their movements online and categorising things rigidly, I don't think somebody picking up both would come to the conclusion that they're similar games.

I mean in Alas for the Awful Sea and GURPS you roll Nd6 to beat a target and with optional GURPS rules you have narrative control, etc. I could phrase several such seeming similarities. Alas for the Awful Sea and GURPS are not similar though.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back