Are Modern Miniatures too Fragile for Gaming?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Simlasa

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
(Mod Note: Tangent moved from Cool Minis thread)

Are these really game minis though? They look fragile...
Maybe they're better described as 'figurines'... like Hummels for nerds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these really game minis though? They look fragile...
Maybe they're better described as 'figurines'... like Hummels for nerds.

They look fine to me, no different than modern GW

Well, I wouldn't play catch with them. During wargames, not really an issue though.

It's transporting them that's the problem. Custom Battle Foam cases or not those guys won't survive hitting a speed bump at 5 miles an hour.

Magnets in the base and a magnetic storage system work really well. I haven't done it, but I've seen it done marvelously. The figs just stand at attention in their case, ready for action.

I've never had an issue with it. I have a large toolbox with magnetic tape lining the bottom, and I magnetize all my bases. I've never had a miniature damaged during transport.

I don't think they're actually as fragile as all that anyways, especially once they've been varnished. They're plastic, not ceramic.

One of my favorite Blackstone Fortress minis was the eldar ranger with the long barrelled gun (not a sexual euphemism, I swear). My partner and I were always careful with the figures, especially that one. We didn't want to break it.

But all it takes is one unintentional moment of sloppiness. I was reaching across the board to get the dice. I was caught up in the moment and reaching to grab the dice quickly because I was on a good roll streak. As I did, my hand bumped the tip of the eldar ranger's gun. SNAP.

It wasn't rough handling. It was just an instant where I was reaching for dice and happened to unintentionally brush up against a tiny, spindly piece of plastic.

I was really impressed by the durability of Prodos Games' figures. I used to bounce my Neparite off the table just to shock people. Eventually his Azroghar broke but really, quite durable stuff. Hard to paint as paint doesn't stick to it but I'm told autobody primer works.

Anyhow, "modern miniatures" ? Try any metal dragon with metal wings or any metal figure with separate weapons or heads. Heck, dropping a lead figure from three feet could completely flatten their face. Fragility isn't a new issue.

I got a whole battlebox full of bent and broken minis from the 70-80s if anyone wants to see that sort of thing. I won't judge

I've never had an issue with it. I have a large toolbox with magnetic tape lining the bottom, and I magnetize all my bases. I've never had a miniature damaged during transport.

I don't think they're actually as fragile as all that anyways, especially once they've been varnished. They're plastic, not ceramic.
Brush on Gloss, Spray on Gloss, Spray on Matte. I think I’d prefer spindly plastic to spindly metal. Easier to fix.

One of my favorite Blackstone Fortress minis was the eldar ranger with the long barrelled gun (not a sexual euphemism, I swear). My partner and I were always careful with the figures, especially that one. We didn't want to break it.

But all it takes is one unintentional moment of sloppiness. I was reaching across the board to get the dice. I was caught up in the moment and reaching to grab the dice quickly because I was on a good roll streak. As I did, my hand bumped the tip of the eldar ranger's gun. SNAP.

It wasn't rough handling. It was just an instant where I was reaching for dice and happened to unintentionally brush up against a tiny, spindly piece of plastic.

Had you used 'ardcoat varnish on it after painting?

Brush on Gloss, Spray on Gloss, Spray on Matte. I think I’d prefer spindly plastic to spindly metal. Easier to fix.
If the plastic is the sort that GW uses, yeah, I can probably fix a break with styrene model glue. If it's resin... not as easy or durable a fix, IMO. That soft rubbery stuff (Reaper Bones) is garbage, but harder to break.

I generally like GW's plastic, but not a fan of them adding increasing amounts of thin fiddly bits that seem designed to break off.
I've even had new in box models from them where spikey bits and small guns have broken while still on the sprue in the package.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back