Are you a completist?

• Yes

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Depends

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
I tend to be a completionist when I’m first getting into a game. I’ll buy everything that’s been put out for it, and then keep up with all the new stuff as it comes out.

Then, unless I’m actively running it, at some point I’ll just stop. It’s not usually a conscious choice on my part, either. It’ll be like a year goes by and I suddenly realize I haven’t even looked at the game and have no idea what has come out for it since I lost interest.

This happened to me with Eclipse Phase and Shadow of the Demon Lord (among others but those stand out in my memory).

No. Honestly a game has to be awesome to get me to do more than a corebook and maybe a supplement. I went crazy back in the 2E AD&D days (I worked at a bookstore.) I'll never do that again.

No, I am not a collector. I will, however, buy everything that is of utility or improves the gaming experience. For example, I will usually buy all expansions for board games and video games. Most recently I bought all the crunch for 5e, Mothership, and OSE even though I might only use 10-20% of the content. There are a couple creators that consistently release excellent material so I will buy pretty much everything they make.

Last edited:
For some games yes, for some games no. I can't even tell you what makes some games want me to have everything and some I'm just like "just want the basics".

Sadly I do collect (read - not played) a bunch of ttrpg. Obviously not for every single ruleset I buy. Sometimes after reading the core book I already lost interest.
But for systems I like with a slow release date I'm more inclined to buy because I'm not even noticing that I'm buying everything. It's just like Oh nice... a new book for X!
A series like path finder would be impossible to keep up with. Luckily I'm not into PF!

I am nearly an anti-completist (completionist?). When I GM games with metaplots or extra shit I more often than not say "We are only using the plot/options in the core rulebook kthxbai." Anything else is up for review and frequently rejected by myself.

It used to be game by game, but I have PTSD from Mage: The Awakening. I watched as every book that came out made more and more of the Paths completely unrelatable and unplayable for PCs.

The only system I am more or less open for all player options is GURPS. GURPS is one of the few game lines which maintains really high editorial standards for subsequent releases. If it fits the setting/theme of the game, I have very little worry that anything brought in form a GURPS 4e sourcebook will wreck anything.

I went all in on Ravenloft back in the day which means I have quite a collection of bad adventures still on my shelf. I gave it up before 3rd edition so I nearly have everything printed for 2e including almost all the novels. The one good thing is I have all the Van Ritchen guides which are nice to reread and I'm still fond of Gothic Earth.

Between that and buying up Nine Inch Nails stuff (signed CDs, bootlegs, Pretty Hate Machine demo tapes), I needed to quit and focus on business and budget. It was fun while it lasted.

I could never afford jack nor shit growing up, so I was always wishing I could own more of the gamelines I loved, but until I became a fan of BRP and then The Design Mechanism a few years back, I never obsessively collected anything. Woe to my wallet now, but at least I can rest easy in the thought that I don't have any kids and any college fund that I'm starving.

Last edited:
I could neve afford jack nor shit growing up, so I was always wishing I could own more of the gamelines I loved, but until I became a fan of BRP and then The Design Mechanism a few years back, I never obsessively collected anything. Woe to my wallet now, but at least I can rest easy in the thought that I don't have any kids and any college fund that I'm starving.
I figure my RPG collection will help them build character and characters. They'll need to get jobs to afford it. Or kill me and sell my loot. Either way D&D should help them.

My dad and I definitely did a lot of hunting for back issues.
This right here is part of my problem. For me the hunt is part of the fun! Lol

Aside from current edition dnd, it's always hard around these parts to find physical copies of ttrpg. So when I see a copy at the store I rarely hesitate to buy.

I mean Traveller, one of the longest lasting ttrpg, is incredibly hard to find in any Canadian retailer or online store. And I'm just talking about the core book...

So there you go.

I don't insist on having full lines, no. But I do usually have a goal for myself. With Exalted it's all the main splats. With Torg it's the Cosm sourcebooks. Stuff like that. Oh, I also kinda want one of every World of Darkness sourcebook, the latest edition that came out... Pre-20th anniversary editions. Those books are too goddamn big to have physical copies.

The only game lines I have 100% complete are Demon: the Fallen, and Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition (almost, I'm missing a couple books).

And, like, they're small?

Lot of love for Talislanta on this thread.
In my senior high school year of 1989 I remember that my mate had the (now iconic ) second edition of Talislanta.
We were fascinated with it, but never actually played it. Unfortunately it eventually just ended up collecting dust in his bookcase.

Later on in the mid 2000s I bought the big thick blue core book (4th edition), and really liked it but again never played it.
I never updated to the 5th edition because it was a D20 OGL cash-in, and I never saw the point of updating to the 6th edition considering my 4th edition core book felt quite comphrensive.

I did end up backing the recent kickstarter version for the 7th edition, Talislanta: The Savage Land. It looks really great, but again I have yet to run this.
I'm definately gonna have to retifiy this, as I really like the core system mechanics and the cool weird fantasy setting! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Once upon a time I had large disposable income and a big house to stash stuff in so I hoovered up whatever looked interesting. If it looked like I was doing a reasonable job of getting near completion I'd try and track down the rest of it. Had a stack of 7th Sea and Battletech stuff at one stage. Tried but backed off from MERP, dipped my toe in then quickly out of D&D (and even then still fill three shelves of stuff. Damn that stuff went bonkers fast over the last few years though).

Managed to complete DC Heroes 1st to 3rd edition, all rules, manuals, sourcebooks. Also completed Buck Rogers XXVC (the RPG at least, not sure if I got anything else because TSR sure was churning it out at one stage) and Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game (SAGA) the one with the cards. I don't count the Marvel Universe RPG (Diceless) because it was only 3 books.

Tried Lone Wolf paperbacks and Fighting Fantasy at one stage but gave up. That way lies madness and bankruptcy.

After two huge purges what I have left is stuff I'm mostly interested in or didn't sell from the sale. Generally use PDFs these days but nothing beats a solid book in your hands if you want to learn a system.

More love to collect, especially the rare and unsung from the early days of the RPG hoppy...say up to 1984 or so. Not so much completest as in I have to have everything for a game...not at all, but I can be tempted to get various editions. I'll collect for the artist illustrator, as well as historical reasons.

Boardgames are a greater weakness for me than RPGs. Not so bad as I do set a budget and stick to it, and it is far, far less expensive a hobby than my buddy who loves boats.

Not really, Id rather buy more core rulebooks than sourcebooks for a game I already own. Might be because I dont have a go to system.

I feel like the opposite of a completist with games. I tend to only buy core rules. There are exceptions, but I've never aspired to own everything even for games I really like. (I guess I may have purchased a bundle or two with a complete collection).

I feel like the opposite of a completist with games. I tend to only buy core rules. There are exceptions, but I've never aspired to own everything even for games I really like. (I guess I may have purchased a bundle or two with a complete collection).
Not really, Id rather buy more core rulebooks than sourcebooks for a game I already own. Might be because I dont have a go to system.
I'm amazed at you two:grin:!

Sometimes. If I know something is going to be hard to find, I'll get everything I can for it. For example, I have nearly everything for FFG's WHFRP 3e, and everything for DragonQuest and Chivalry & Sorcery 2e, Forbidden Lands, TOR, and a few others. Sometimes I just get what I need to run it adequately, say the core book and a supp or two, like for Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back