Ask me anything about Holmes Basic D&D (1977)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Work on my new adventure for Holmes Basic/OD&D has been sporadic, but I have written new areas since the last update I made here:

Area #11: Stream Tunnel

Area #12: The Bubbly

Area #13: Twisty Passages

And one writeup of a new monster found in Area #12: The Slurry

I currently have 24 projected areas for the dungeon, so I think I am about half way through the write-up.

I plan on running this adventure at Gary Con next March if anyone here is going and is interested.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on using Holmes Basic as the basis for a more urban fantasy or horror-themed RPG?

What are your thoughts on using Holmes Basic as the basis for a more urban fantasy or horror-themed RPG?
I think it could work for sure. Esoteric Enterprises is a great example of the same thing done with 1E, and Dark Places and Demogorgons does the same thing with a version of Basic. It's very doable.

Not exactly Holmes based but Night Owl Workshop has reworked Basic/Original D&D to cover a variety of genres.

I meant to reply to this earlier. In the past I've actually thought that the Zenopus dungeon would work well for a Call of Cthulhu investigation.

And I think that using the Holmes Basic rules themselves for a horror RPG would work well. Limiting all PCs/NPCs to 3 or 4 levels would keep the power levels low vis-a-vis the monsters, as the Holmes Basic monster list includes the full range of monsters going up to the 15 HD Purple Worm.

It's a new year, and I've got three more areas for this dungeon up on the blog since the last update:

Area #18: Green Grotto

Area #19: Open Pit and Area #20: Sub-Basement

Find out which part of Portown connects to the dungeon!

Closing in the on the end; just a few more areas to detail. I'm going to be playtesting this soon, and then running it at Gary Con in March and Scrum Con in April.

The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave is finally complete!

Well, the first draft is complete. I still need to revise everything, but I've finished a first pass on every area of the dungeon, and a map.

Here are links to final areas not posted above:

Area 21: Meeting Room
Area 22: Arch Smuggler's Office
Area 23: Shrieking Pool
Area 24: Smuggler Catacombs
Area 25: Crypt of the Arch Smugglers

And yesterday, I finally added a real map for the adventure! Read more about it and find the full-size version over on the blog:

The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave: Draft Map

Draft%20Map%20of%20the%20Forgotten%20Smugglers%20Cave%2002282023.v3.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back