Atomic Highway Goodlands (game thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Boston, MA 2200 AD…. population: less than 5,000 ?

To the survivors around Boston it seems there are people everywhere. To us, it would be an empty wilderness and ruin. The nights are pitch black (except near the few settlements) and the days quite until the screams and screeches of mayhem fill the air. Life is grim and tough, there is hope for some, and for others only a short, brutish existence, without hope or comfort.

The Green Morning

Boston, MA 2200 AD...March...Morning

How did you get here? All your decisions seemed to make sense at the time. But here you are crouched on the wrong side of the Charles River from Meetpoint trying to keep a Wellrose Rover alive.

It had to be you all who were first on the road to Towertown, not that is saying much on The Green Morning.

Setting Info/Flavor: The Green Morning: The day after some obscure Liner holiday where this Saint drove the raiders out of the Line. The celebration seeming to involve the drinking of large quantities of beer, eating cabbage and corned rat, all while wearing green.

Why did you get on that skiff and let Jake row you all across the Charles?

If it hadn’t been Jake Sixeyes who flagged you down, or a Wellrose in trouble you may not be here. Yet here you were. [see map a in the pre-ruin school on the high ground bit west of 308 Charles River Rd, Watertown, MA]

The Rover, Loren Excelsior, is in bad shape. It take the well-honed healer eyes of youyr group to see the lacerations, the broken wrist and compound fracture of the left tibia, head contusion, and burn hole through the right forearm and circular burn marks on his face and hands. The Rover is out of it, and on the edge of shock.

The Rover is too injured to move in this condition, on that Jake was right, and what care Jake and his brother Spooker provided (they just know the very basics) was just enough to keep Loren from bleeding out, but not much more.

Jake is nervous, he says there is a pack of R-dogs to the north/north-east. He saw signs of raiders to the north, likely Jackals.

(Rodrigo knows the Jackals as skeevy cowards even by raider standards)

The banks of the Charles here are certainly clakker territory, luckily it’s chill the clakkers sluggish, not yet fully out of hibernation. However, it’s not too cold (45 °F, 7 °C) that a loud noise or commotion wouldn’t wake them...especially the extra hungry ones.

He and Spooker got to keep watch, both on the skiff and the area. They got to get The Rover to Wellrose. Jake was trying for Meetpoint but he’s afraid if he tries to move The Rover any more he will die.

Jake asks if you can help The Rover, if you can help them.

ALL THIS AND THE MAP IN THE ATTACHED (you are at the eight pointed star)

Attachments

• AtomicHwy RPGPub PBP Opening Post 0 w map.pdf
    492.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Well, Stave the healer gladly offers his help to those in need "Good citizens you fret not. I, Stave Mender from The noble Tower Town will give you support against the ne'er do wells." He readies his crossbow and faces the encroaching danger.

OOC not sure how big our party is or how fast the danger is approaching so as long as the Rover is stable he is going as combat rather then support.

Minor point that can wait but still... I still have the one free scavenging roll what table should I roll on I ask this to the group?

Looking at the damage to Loren's body Daphne is shaken. This is more serious than she is used to, or expected. It isn't something she can deal with. What luck Sixeyes flagged down Healers. If they can stabilise Loren enough to move we'll need something to carry him. That is something useful to do, something that doesn't involve looking at those injuries...

Keeping her voice low: “Rodrigo, can you handle this?” * the concern in her voice undermines her calm demeanor * “Stave, I'm no Healer, if you stay here, help out, I'll go and make a stretcher. Jake and Spooker are watching, and I don't intend to get jumped.”

Easy to say, when you haven't got any tools.

Daphne hurries over to Jake and asks “You guys got a machete or a saw?”

Pausing, she asks: "What happened? Who did this?" The tone of voice carries the implication 'who is going to pay for doing this'.

"I can help with the healing, too...but someone's gotta hunt some R-dogs, just so we wouldn't get attacked. The bodies would be a good worning for Jackals, too", Rodrigo says calmly.
"Preferably someone who doesn't need to shoot them. Noise isn't our friend", he adds, hefting his spear, as he rises to leave.
"I doubt we have numbers for it, but if anoyne plans to come and watch my back, now is the moment", he adds, not even looking back.

"Well, if the immediate danger of raiders is being taken care of, I'll take care of The Rover" Stave gets out his docter's bag and goes to tend the fallen. Stave raises his head and calls to the grim spearman "Don't fret I'll take care of any mending you'll need after the all the stabbening." Stave nods amiably at Daphne and the rest of the party "Howdy. I'm Stave and free healing for everyone that helps out with the raiders."

"Can't let you go alone."

Daphne snaps open and locks her blade. Looking from the Pit-Fighter's spear to the small knife she sighs.

"Not sure I'll be much help though. You're right, can't fire this gun without bringing everything in miles on us." * smiling down at the pistol holstered at her hip * "Harry's a loudmouth alright."

Last edited:
"Watching my back should be plenty", Rodrigo nodds. "And another pair of eyes should help - I'm not really used to the wilderness, but we've got to find those dogs. But, you know...if we can't shoot, nobody is likely to shoot at us, either. Which I consider to be a net advantage for our side. OK, let's go, and keep Harry in reserve!"
He turns north, and starts marching.

"Well, if the immediate danger of raiders is being taken care of, I'll take care of The Rover" Stave gets out his docter's bag and goes to tend the fallen. Stave raises his head and calls to the grim spearman "Don't fret I'll take care of any mending you'll need after the all the stabbening." Stave nods amiably at Daphne and the rest of the party "Howdy. I'm Stave and free healing for everyone that helps out with the raiders."
Roll Understanding/Heal. If you have your full kit with you add +1 to understanding and +1 to skill, if a more doctor bag/daypack size just add +1 skill IF you are willing to expend consumables in your kit.
You can do an assessment roll first to better understand the wounds if you like.

The Rover is too out of it to answer. Jake nods and just says "He's covered. Do what you need brother " and flashes you a Liner sign that lets you know all cost of treatment are paid for big time.

"Watching my back should be plenty", Rodrigo nodds. "And another pair of eyes should help - I'm not really used to the wilderness, but we've got to find those dogs. But, you know...if we can't shoot, nobody is likely to shoot at us, either. Which I consider to be a net advantage for our side. OK, let's go, and keep Harry in reserve!"
Well, Stave the healer gladly offers his help to those in need "Good citizens you fret not. I, Stave Mender from The noble Tower Town will give you support against the ne'er do wells." He readies his crossbow and faces the encroaching danger.

OOC not sure how big our party is or how fast the danger is approaching so as long as the Rover is stable he is going as combat rather then support.

Minor point that can wait but still... I still have the one free scavenging roll what table should I roll on I ask this to the group?
OOC Yes he needs immediate medical attention.

Looking at the damage to Loren's body Daphne is shaken. This is more serious than she is used to, or expected. It isn't something she can deal with. What luck Sixeyes flagged down Healers. If they can stabilise Loren enough to move we'll need something to carry him. That is something useful to do, something that doesn't involve looking at those injuries...

Keeping her voice low: “Rodrigo, can you handle this?” * the concern in her voice undermines her calm demeanor * “Stave, I'm no Healer, if you stay here, help out, I'll go and make a stretcher. Jake and Spooker are watching, and I don't intend to get jumped.”

Easy to say, when you haven't got any tools.

Daphne hurries over to Jake and asks “You guys got a machete or a saw?”

Pausing, she asks: "What happened? Who did this?" The tone of voice carries the implication 'who is going to pay for doing this'.
SCENE: you are in a large pre-ruin building that was about 4-5 stories, looks like it may have been residential, it's vine covered and in bad shape. You are on the first floor and a room back from the courtyard (north) which is surrounded on three sides by the building, it's open to east. You are on a rise so the river is not lapping at you.

Jake: "Here's my tool bag, I'll want it back. Spooker and I are going to post watch in the courtyard. There's beds and lots of scavenge around here."

(There's a small hand saw, hack saw, pliers, screwdrivers, and a few adjustable wrenches in the tool bag)
Roll Understanding/Scavenge to see how quickly you can find what you are looking for. Think we'll use Tech to see how well you can jury-rig something. If you and Rodrigo do this together you can take the best of your Understanding and Scavenge, but it may take more time.

Rodrigo notices that this Ms. Bangs appears to know what she is about when it comes to scavenging, well more than Rodrigo. Maybe it's best he keeps himself alert and watches her back as she searches the building for scavenge to build a stretcher. Of course, you know well what makes for a good stretcher versus bad.

"Thanks Jake, promise I won't lose anything."

Rolling Understanding:

Roll One
Generating 4 rolls of 1d6, 4 per line.
Comment:

6 5 3 2 Re-roll the 6:
Generating 1 rolls of 1d6, 1 per line. 4

With 4 points to add that is 6 6 6 2

Daphne looks over the ruin. It's golden. Straight pipes, light and strong, wiring still in the walls, a decent sized sheet of tarp under that rubble...

"Rodrigo, Select some straights there, I'll strip out some wire to tie them, then we'll dig out that sheet."

Now, putting it together:

Roll One (Tech)
Generating 4 rolls of 1d6, 4 per line.

1 6 2 2 Re-roll the 6: Generating 1 rolls of 1d6, 1 per line. 5

With 4 points: 1 6 6 2

Last edited:
okay if medical attention is needed no time for assessment go straight for healing check on The Rover.

rolling for understanding 4 2 5
not going to waste consumables on a brand new npc that's for party members

add skill points 3: 6 2 6

Rodrigo followed the instructions to the best of his ability, then went hunting.

healing check on The Rover. The second attempt

rolling for understanding 4 2 5 new roll 6
not going to waste consumables on a brand new npc that's for party members

add new skill points 4: 6 3 6 6

so three successes one failure correct?

OCC three success and one null, failures only on a 1. Will narrate results later but 3 successes is real, real good.

I rolled Understanding and got 4 and 1. Whatever you wanted me to roll, Scavenge and/or Tech, this is a failure:smile:.

While hunting for R-dogs, Rodrigo accidentally kicks a stone. No more than a signle thread of grey was protruding above the ground, and yet he managed to catch it.
Truly, the former pitfighter's kicking skills are exceptional.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back