Austin area Pubbers- good deals at HPB...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gringnr

D6 Nutz
Reaction score
...at 9900 S IH 35 Frontage Rd. They have a bunch of GURPS stuff, including 3rd and 4th edition core hardbacks. Plus Talislanta 4th edition hardcover for 70 bucks. I was tempted, but neither is likely to see play with my group. Plus, I've already spent too much on RPG stuff this week month year lifetime. If someone buys Tal 4th, run a game here so I can kick myself for not buying it.

Last edited:
...at 9900 S IH 35 Frontage Rd. They have a bunch of GURPS stuff, including 3rd and 4th edition core hardbacks. Plus Talislanta 4th edition hardcover for 70 bucks. I was tempted, but neither is likely to see play with my group. Plus, I've already spent too much on TPG stuff this week month year lifetime. If someone buys Tal 4th, run a game here so I can kick myself for not buying it.
Well the pdf is free so don't kick too hard.

Well the pdf is free so don't kick too hard.
Exactly. Still, I did consider it, as I've always wanted to have a copy. But that price is pretty typical. If it had been a "deal", I may have jumped on it.

Exactly. Still, I did consider it, as I've always wanted to have a copy. But that price is pretty typical. If it had been a "deal", I may have jumped on it.
I find the word "deal" and HPB seldomly co-occuring. The exception has been the more obscure boxed sets where the staff really doesn't know what should or should not be inside.

I find the word "deal" and HPB seldomly co-occuring. The exception has been the more obscure boxed sets where the staff really doesn't know what should or should not be inside.
Yeah, it's a rare occurrence, to be sure.

I used to get a lot of good deals on rpg items at Half Price, but then they started upping the prices. I went in there a few months back and they had some old AD&D 1E modules (D1-3) at $25 a piece. I have them on my shelf from that same HPB where I paid $4-6 apiece.

It was synonymous around 10 years ago. I used to be able to find amazing Rpg deals at the large Capitol Hill store, or at other stores in the area. (God, I miss that CH store...)

But their staff started following eBay and Amazon trends, and began to price accordingly. Perhaps they pulled in more revenue with their inflated prices, but I'd also expect that their stock began to stagnate on shelves. The rare times I go into HPB these days, I don't really find anything worthwhile. Or maybe I'll find 1 thing, but don't feel like paying its price.

It was synonymous around 10 years ago. I used to be able to find amazing Rpg deals at the large Capitol Hill store, or at other stores in the area. (God, I miss that CH store...)

But their staff started following eBay and Amazon trends, and began to price accordingly. Perhaps they pulled in more revenue with their inflated prices, but I'd also expect that their stock began to stagnate on shelves. The rare times I go into HPB these days, I don't really find anything worthwhile. Or maybe I'll find 1 thing, but don't feel like paying its price.
I attribute it to a few larger collections going to the various stores and suddenly they started doing more research. The Renton and Redmond stores were the first two I saw start upping prices. Makes sense Renton is the home of WotC and regularly seems to get a diverse collection of games. Redmond is home to microsoft and I can imagine a lot of older geeks unloading print games. The Crossroads store used to be just clueless. They're still the least knowledgeable in my opinion but they have become more knowledgeable.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back