Avalon Hill HeroQuest

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
So just randomly encountered this...

No idea what's going on, haven't heard anything. Google reveals this site with the countdown just showed up in August and no other announcements or info has leaked yet/

D100Homebrew

Reaction score
Huh. Cool old game may come back. I read some stuff on board game geek about this.
I searched for the HeroQuest trademark stuff on the USPTO.gov website.

This was the interesting part:
Owner
(REGISTRANT) Moon Design Publications LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MICHIGAN
(LAST LISTED OWNER) HASBRO, INC. CORPORATION RHODE ISLAND
Assignment Recorded
ASSIGNMENT RECORDED

Looks like it got "assigned" to Hasbro in July.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If it's a reprint, then I'll order several.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
If it's a reprint, then I'll order several.
I don't see any mention of association with GW, so I doubt it will be the same minis, but I hope that otherwise - visual design, etc. it is an accurate recreation

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm not obsessed over the exact art and miniatures. In terms of both, I think it's fine to just try to stay within the general style. The miniatures are not quite cartoonish and not quite "hardcore", but evocative of both. We're talking old GW here. The Chaos Warriors might as well be Shovel Knight.

In addition to the style, the next big important thing is the content. The joy of Heroquest was that it was a big box of STUFF! It needs to have a lot of miniatures, at least 30 or forget it. It needs bits like the 3d furniture that goes on the board. You can't cheap out on that stuff or do it as counters or you ruin the whole experience of the game.

HeroQuest isn't perfect, but I still find it fun and accessible in a way that I don't find modern dungeon crawlers. Because of that, I honestly wouldn't change much. I think maybe some more equipment options to spend gold on. Some kind of advancement mechanic of some sort beyond just buying new equipment. Maybe some more spells, possibly some new elements to choose from. Maybe expand the treasure deck so that churning it isn't so easy. Maybe tokens or cards for pieces of equipment and potions. Maybe a few more monsters down the line, but that isn't needed for the relaunch as the default basic set enemies are fine for a long stretch.

Hell, just some new Heroquest dice would be great. Mine are still usable, but they're extremely worn. The last few times I've played, I've used the dice from the Heroscape flagbearers.

Mankcam

Inadvert Founder of Swo'
Reaction score
Ok I know it's in the article above, but somone has to post this directly here, just for those who are unititiated
So it might as well be me :thumbsup:

We know this was gonna happen:
:grin:

KrakaJak

Legendary Member
Reaction score
This is the first Big Thing announced after Avalon Hill was taken from WotC and brought under Hasbro proper. Curious to see what they are going to do with it.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just hope it isn't just a teaser for some mobile game or that they haven't remade the game as an "app enabled" game. I mean, that's fine for the people who want that sort of thing, but it's not anything I'd be interested in.

Tommy Brownell

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I would consider an app-based game if it meant playing co-op with my kid. Hard pass on a mobile game, though.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
The new Avalon Hill division was bought by Hasbro specifically for classic IP boardgame development, this won't be an app or videogame

Tommy Brownell

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The new Avalon Hill division was bought by Hasbro specifically for classic IP boardgame development, this won't be an app or videogame
I was referring to an app supported board game, like FFG has done, where the app would functionally replace Zargon. Not my first choice, but not a dealbreaker either.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I was referring to an app supported board game, like FFG has done, where the app would functionally replace Zargon. Not my first choice, but not a dealbreaker either.
oh, huh, like a virtual GM. I guess that could work, though I'd prefer it was an option instead of hardcoded into the rules, or it will age worse than a VCR boardgame...

Tommy Brownell

Legendary Member
Reaction score
FFG added it to Imperial Assault and Descent, and it's the only way to play Journeys in Middle-Earth (and I think it's the default for the newest version of Mansions of Madness.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Sometimes it's hard for me to tell these days what is just gimicky and what is me being an old fogey disliking newfangled stuff

Tommy Brownell

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The only one of those I've used is the Journeys into Middle Earth app. It's pretty solid, actually, because they've released new DLC campaigns that you can buy (for a lot less than buying a new book) and you can toggle what you own and don't own, and it factors it into the campaign.