Avalon Hill HeroQuest

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
So just randomly encountered this...

No idea what's going on, haven't heard anything. Google reveals this site with the countdown just showed up in August and no other announcements or info has leaked yet/

Huh. Cool old game may come back. I read some stuff on board game geek about this.
I searched for the HeroQuest trademark stuff on the USPTO.gov website.

This was the interesting part:
Owner
(REGISTRANT) Moon Design Publications LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MICHIGAN
(LAST LISTED OWNER) HASBRO, INC. CORPORATION RHODE ISLAND
Assignment Recorded
ASSIGNMENT RECORDED

Looks like it got "assigned" to Hasbro in July.

If it's a reprint, then I'll order several.

If it's a reprint, then I'll order several.

I don't see any mention of association with GW, so I doubt it will be the same minis, but I hope that otherwise - visual design, etc. it is an accurate recreation

I’m intrigued. I have an incomplete set, so I’d be open to a reprint (even if it’s not an exact reprint).

I'm not obsessed over the exact art and miniatures. In terms of both, I think it's fine to just try to stay within the general style. The miniatures are not quite cartoonish and not quite "hardcore", but evocative of both. We're talking old GW here. The Chaos Warriors might as well be Shovel Knight.

In addition to the style, the next big important thing is the content. The joy of Heroquest was that it was a big box of STUFF! It needs to have a lot of miniatures, at least 30 or forget it. It needs bits like the 3d furniture that goes on the board. You can't cheap out on that stuff or do it as counters or you ruin the whole experience of the game.

HeroQuest isn't perfect, but I still find it fun and accessible in a way that I don't find modern dungeon crawlers. Because of that, I honestly wouldn't change much. I think maybe some more equipment options to spend gold on. Some kind of advancement mechanic of some sort beyond just buying new equipment. Maybe some more spells, possibly some new elements to choose from. Maybe expand the treasure deck so that churning it isn't so easy. Maybe tokens or cards for pieces of equipment and potions. Maybe a few more monsters down the line, but that isn't needed for the relaunch as the default basic set enemies are fine for a long stretch.

Hell, just some new Heroquest dice would be great. Mine are still usable, but they're extremely worn. The last few times I've played, I've used the dice from the Heroscape flagbearers.

This is the first Big Thing announced after Avalon Hill was taken from WotC and brought under Hasbro proper. Curious to see what they are going to do with it.

I just hope it isn't just a teaser for some mobile game or that they haven't remade the game as an "app enabled" game. I mean, that's fine for the people who want that sort of thing, but it's not anything I'd be interested in.

I would consider an app-based game if it meant playing co-op with my kid. Hard pass on a mobile game, though.

The new Avalon Hill division was bought by Hasbro specifically for classic IP boardgame development, this won't be an app or videogame

The new Avalon Hill division was bought by Hasbro specifically for classic IP boardgame development, this won't be an app or videogame

I was referring to an app supported board game, like FFG has done, where the app would functionally replace Zargon. Not my first choice, but not a dealbreaker either.

I was referring to an app supported board game, like FFG has done, where the app would functionally replace Zargon. Not my first choice, but not a dealbreaker either.

oh, huh, like a virtual GM. I guess that could work, though I'd prefer it was an option instead of hardcoded into the rules, or it will age worse than a VCR boardgame...

FFG added it to Imperial Assault and Descent, and it's the only way to play Journeys in Middle-Earth (and I think it's the default for the newest version of Mansions of Madness.

Sometimes it's hard for me to tell these days what is just gimicky and what is me being an old fogey disliking newfangled stuff

The only one of those I've used is the Journeys into Middle Earth app. It's pretty solid, actually, because they've released new DLC campaigns that you can buy (for a lot less than buying a new book) and you can toggle what you own and don't own, and it factors it into the campaign.

Backed for two at Mythic Tier.

Edit: Hopefully this will be the Haslab project that funds in less than 48 hours. It's already at $110K within 20 minutes of starting.

Edit2: It's already beating Cookie Monster's max backing. (Haslab did a funding campaign for a Cookie Monster plush about a year ago which spectacularly failed, and even the Unicron running at the same time struggled to meet it's goal after two months causing Hasbro to blink and create an extension). Hopefully the momentum will keep going. I needs the stretch goal extras. :hehe:

Last edited:
Link for anybody interested:

Interesting. So effectively a reprint with new art and sculpts. That’s cool but (happily) means that I don’t need to grab it. Not that I had an option as it doesn’t even ship to me :smile:

The gender alternative sculpts are great, especially as they have also done so for the orcs and goblins. The price point is not so great. I had hoped it would be an entrance to the hobby again but I think the price will see it mostly as servicing old fans.

Last edited:
It won't be shipping to Europe anyway, but why does it not ship to Quebec?

So looks like HeroQuest is going to see release wider than US. A local NZ store has just confirmed that HQ plus stretch goals will be available in Oct 2021.

EDIT: This looks to be a special deal negotiated by the company, so it may not be more widespread.

Last edited:
I kinda thought that it would be doing a little better (yes, I get that it's almost doubled its goal, but it feels like it has lost steam after passing its goal).

An Australian store just got it, too...so maybe the international dollars will help keep the train rolling.

Looks like it hit 2mil, and some more goals are added for more goodies. Looks like there's a potential for two more heroes and another new quest.

It was already worth it to me at the base Mythic level, so watching all this extra stuff get added on is just gravy. It's gonna be a long wait.

I have many great memories of playing this game. I still have the main box and one supplemental box. I've only lost a die and a miniature after all these years. The lid of the main box could use a replacement though. One of my cats, through the years, thought it would be fun to use it as a scratching post at one point.

It's weird they don't ship to Europe. But I don't have money to back it anyway, so nothing lost I guess.

It's weird they don't ship to Europe. But I don't have money to back it anyway, so nothing lost I guess.

It seems that in some countries local store chains are running crowdfunding for this too and/or stocking it at least. Zavvi are crowdfunding it in the UK but it's only offering the main box and two supplements together, with no separate purchases, for £149.99. No idea on shipping costs or restrictions though.

It seems that in some countries local store chains are running crowdfunding for this too and/or stocking it at least. Zavvi are crowdfunding it in the UK but it's only offering the main box and two supplements together, with no separate purchases, for £149.99. No idea on shipping costs or restrictions though.

I found a store in Denmark, (where I live), called Kelz0r who is apparently stocking it. They have a page where you can preorder it for what is around 150 euro.
I guess it's time to save up some cash, so I hopefully can get it at some point.

There’s a few Kickstarters hitting at once, and I’ll back one at most...it’ll likely be either this or the Darkest Dungeon board game.

It had been crawling along for the past couple of days. Then suddenly today, BOOM! Over $200K all at once. Hasbro probably dumped some retailer orders in there.

I've also started to see ebay listings for it. They range from $200 to $350 with shipping ranging from more than reasonable to absolutely insane.

Less than 5 days left to go. You people need to get your pre-orders in so I can get a Heroquest Dragon miniature.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back