Avatar Legends: Avatar the Last Airbender RPG - USD1m in 1 day

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
No, that’s part of the CrossFit mentality surrounding PbtA. “If you don’t get it, it means you are stuck in the old ways”.
If you don't like PbtA and can't contribute anything positive, that's the definition of trolling. Feel free to get your ass out of here.

Your posts were reported.
You see, SirFrog SirFrog , the Narrative peeps in general, and PbtA people specifically, like to throw elbows, but the slightest criticism causes them to cry like children and run to the mods, particularly the poster reporting you. Been that way here for years.

Excepting Skywalker, of course, he’s the biggest Narrative/PbtA proselytizer I’ve ever seen, and even when thrown in the mosh pit over at the Site, doesn’t get involved in The Eternal War.

Of course Tommy‘s never thrown down with anyone, which is one of the reasons Endless will never let him leave. :thumbsup:

If somebody says something you don’t like, feel free to use the ignore feature.
Even when a user participation consists solely of trolling the thread, without any constructive collaboration whatsoever?

Take a look at SirFrog SirFrog post's historic, the guy is a PbtA hater. What he's doing here is gratuitously disrupting the thread subject.

You see, @ SirFrog , the Narrative peeps in general, and PbtA people specifically, like to throw elbows, but the slightest criticism causes them to
What "elbows" did I throw? I didnt offend anyone nor tried to diminished anyone's games or tastes here.

The contrary though, is valid. First by Sirfrog, now from you.

What "elbows" did I throw? I didnt offend anyone nor tried to diminished anyone's games or tastes here.

The contrary though, is valid. First by Sirfrog, now from you.
You don’t throw elbows in these threads, of course. You are one of the first to cry about threadcrapping though. Your posting history, we won’t go into.

Yeah, this isn't your Big Blue safe space... and there ARE also folks who will jump into any/all OSR threads to take a big dump... so... fair trade?

Also... American cheese... I've relaxed a lot about American cheese over the past year or so... and for some uses it's the best option.

You don’t throw elbows in these threads, of course. You are one of the first to cry about threadcrapping though. Your posting history, we won’t go into.
I dont give a fuck for what you think about me, but I'm glad you retracted your blatant lie.

Now your contribution to the thread is... ? Or you just came here to troll too?

Yeah, this isn't your Big Blue safe space... and there ARE also folks who will jump into any/all OSR threads to take a big dump... so... fair trade?
The day me or Skywalker do that, you can raise that point. I never did it and, as far as I know, neither Skywalker.

The day me or Skywalker do that, you can raise that point. I never did it and, as far as I know, neither Skywalker.
Heh, the point’s been raised many a time, I can find the threads if you really want me to...you sure you wanna go down this road of claiming how innocent and conflict-free you are?

I dont give a fuck for what you think about me, but I'm glad you retracted your blatant lie.

Now your contribution to the thread is... ? Or you just came here to troll too?
Heh, blatant lie about you throwing elbows, that’s rich.

I already said that I’m glad this thing made so much money, and I am. The only reason I stepped in was that you started Crying Wolf again. :fu:

Sorry but my patience for trolling and overall disingenuousness is very low these days.

I'll report the slight attempt.

Sorry but my patience for trolling and overall disingenuousness is very low these days.

I'll report the slight attempt.
My intent was not troll, I have valid criticisms on PbtA which I’ve gone into before. I don’t hate the system either, though I can be hyperbolic in my disinterest. I’ve played in several PbtA games and likely will play again in the future.

To “better “ contribute to the topic at hand, I feel that PbtA is a poor choice for Avatar for a couple reasons:
1. The vast majority of the backers will likely be disappointed in the system because it is reversed in polarity from what most people expect from an rpg (despite protestations otherwise, PbtA is very much a traditional system).
2. This is a setting, IMO, that would benefit from a more active GM role (similar to FitD, which would in of itself be a poor fit for this because the team/crew/band isn’t as much of a focus)

I feel that the Year Zero or Cortex Prime would have been a better fit. You still get the narrative focus, but with enough mechanical crunch to support the la broader narrative (one of my main criticisms of PbtA is it is too focused on genre)

PS Queso requires American cheese unless you want practice chemistry while using citric acid to get cheddar to melt properly

I feel that the Year Zero or Cortex Prime would have been a better fit. You still get the narrative focus, but with enough mechanical crunch to support the la broader narrative (one of my main criticisms of PbtA is it is too focused on genre)
I am curious as to how Avatar: Legands and The Dragon Prince trpg will stack up against each other. As Dragon Prince is using Cortex, and there are loose similarities in the settings.

I am curious as to how Avatar: Legands and The Dragon Prince trpg will stack up against each other. As Dragon Prince is using Cortex, and there are loose similarities in the settings.
I think it’s safe to say whatever you think of PbtA, that 99% of backers are there for Avatar collector stuff. The highest level reward is almost a quarter of all backers.

But no one is talking about the most important thing of all...

Who is going on the front of your Special Collector’s Hardcover, Aang or Korra?

I think it’s safe to say whatever you think of PbtA, that 99% of backers are there for Avatar collector stuff. The highest level reward is almost a quarter of all backers.
Oh for sure. I mean that’s how the got me. Though I’m only in for the base set stuff. So I don’t get to choose my cover.

No, that’s part of the CrossFit mentality surrounding PbtA. “If you don’t get it, it means you are stuck in the old ways”.
No, its really not. Its just a bigger adjustment in playstyle than some people are comfy with all at once. People coming from, say, D&D, can often have some initial cognitive dissonance with the mechanics. It's not good or bad, better or worse, just different. Your somewhat dismissive take, on the other hand, does seem very knee jerk, at least from the other side of the monitor.

I don’t think the Avatar IP alone is the only draw here given the level of success we are seeing here. It has to be a mix of factors and I think it’s a mix of the Avatar IP, general popularity with RPG streaming (which particularly overlaps with both the Avatar and PbtA fan bases), PbtA (Adventure Zone had a very popular run with Monster of the Week for example), and Magpie (who have a growing track record of solid RPGs).

I don’t think the Avatar IP alone is the only draw here given the level of success we are seeing here. It has to be a mix of factors and I think it’s a mix of the Avatar IP, general popularity with RPG streaming (which particularly overlaps with both the Avatar and PbtA fan bases), PbtA (Adventure Zone had a very popular run with Monster of the Week for example), and Magpie (who have a growing track record of solid RPGs).
Has there been a PbtA game that has blown big on KS before now? I’d bet real money that the vast majority of subscribers have never heard of Magpie games. A non-Marvel, non-DC superhero game and Bluebeard’s Bride?

If it’s being pimped by widely followed streamers, I can see that having an effect. It’s also getting free advertising from Geek Media talking about it, but again, pretty sure that’s Avatar the websites think are going to draw the clicks.

Did anyone on earth buy 2d20 Conan because they loved 2d20 and wanted to support Modiphius? I mean the heavy lifting of any licensed IP product is going to be done by the popularity of the IP. I’ll go 98%. I’ll give PbtA 1.5% and Magpie .5%. :devil:

No, its really not. Its just a bigger adjustment in playstyle than some people are comfy with all at once. People coming from, say, D&D, can often have some initial cognitive dissonance with the mechanics. It's not good or bad, better or worse, just different. Your somewhat dismissive take, on the other hand, does seem very knee jerk, at least from the other side of the monitor.

PbtA requires a level of unlearning from many years of traditional RPGs. It very much takes RPing back to basics and rebuilds concepts differently. For some people, the result works for them very well and in a way that has not been supported by the hobby previously. For some people, the unlearning required is jarring as learning RPGs is hard fought skill given how esoteric the hobby is.

The end result is predictable, both in terms of those who are avid fans of PbtA and those who bounce of it and reduce responses to this as being “you are stuck in old ways”.

PbtA requires a level of unlearning from many years of traditional RPGs. It very much takes RPing back to basics and rebuilds concepts differently. For some people, the result works for them very well and in a way that has not been supported by the hobby previously.
:thumbsup: :shade::angel::heart:

In terms of marketing, they also probably have some CBS/Viacom money being thrown around.

Has there been a PbtA game that has blown big on KS before now? I’d bet real money that the vast majority of subscribers have never heard of Magpie games. A non-Marvel, non-DC superhero game and Bluebeard’s Bride?

Has there been any IP licenced RPG that has blown this big on KS before now? TOR2e had LotR supported by a well regarded published and prior edition and it still pales to what we see here.

Has there been any RPG connected to a streaming show that has blown this big on KS before now? Strongholds and Streaming was attached to a popular streaming show but it still pales to what we see here.

It seems clear in my mind that the success is a result of combination of factors and not due to any one element.

Has there been any IP licenced RPG that has blown this big on KS before now? TOR2e had LotR supported by a well regarded published and prior edition and it still pales to what we see here.

Has there been any RPG connected to a streaming show that has blown this big on KS before now? Strongholds and Streaming was attached to a popular streaming show but it still pales to what we see here.

It seems clear in my mind that the success is a result of combination of factors and not due to any one element.
Ok. :thumbsup:

PbtA requires a level of unlearning from many years of traditional RPGs. It very much takes RPing back to basics and rebuilds concepts differently. For some people, the result works for them very well and in a way that has not been supported by the hobby previously. For some people, the unlearning required is jarring as learning RPGs is hard fought skill given how esoteric the hobby is.

The end result is predictable, both in terms of those who are avid fans of PbtA and those who bounce of it and reduce responses to this as being “you are stuck in old ways”.
Well, people all want to think that their new hotness is better than someone else's. Their milkshake brings the boys to the yard and all that. My response to that shit is generally fuck right off before you step on my shit again. I've have more problems wIth asshole PbtA fans souring the pot than I've ever had with people's legitimate issues with the game.

Empirically, I'd have to agree, even though I know nothing about Magpie and don't know much about the PBTA market.

For comparison, ToR 2e took in 17,070,638 SEK for its kickstarter, which is ~$2,050,000. This kickstarter will probably top out around $5,000,000. Avatar is huge but it would be hard to argue that it's bigger than LoTR. It's hard to compare a 2nd edition to a brand new game but this looks like a perfect storm of factors.

This kickstarter will probably top out around $5,000,000.

It’s going to be interesting. If KS trends are anything to go by, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a total over $5m as you often see a massive surge in the last 2-3 days. But this KS is all new territory, so who knows.

Hardcore fans of anything are usually the worse part of the fandom :smile:

Then again PbtA is over 10 years old now. Calling it the “new hotness” does seem quite right to me :smile:
My comments on 'the new hotness' were aimed at more than just PbtA, fandom-wise anyway.

Until this Kickstarter blew up I was convinced 5e was the new hotness.

My intent was not troll, I have valid criticisms on PbtA which I’ve gone into before. I don’t hate the system either, though I can be hyperbolic in my disinterest. I’ve played in several PbtA games and likely will play again in the future.

To “better “ contribute to the topic at hand, I feel that PbtA is a poor choice for Avatar for a couple reasons:
1. The vast majority of the backers will likely be disappointed in the system because it is reversed in polarity from what most people expect from an rpg (despite protestations otherwise, PbtA is very much a traditional system).
2. This is a setting, IMO, that would benefit from a more active GM role (similar to FitD, which would in of itself be a poor fit for this because the team/crew/band isn’t as much of a focus)

PS Queso requires American cheese unless you want practice chemistry while using citric acid to get cheddar to melt properly
Valid concerns, I think. In general, I'd be skeptical. I wasn't over the moon on Legends of the Elements. But I think the reception and implementation of Masks and how it does the same thing with superpowers says that the concerns might not be salient to a lot of (most?) backers. I think Year Zero wouldn't be good because it would veer too far in the other direction. Cortex would be a good fit, as would Fate. I'm most worried about stretch goal bloat, especially with the amount of non-rpg rewards. That $75 pledge includes a lot of physical items...

I haven't seen any PtbA fanaticism on the Pub, far more often grouching about it and its supposedly rabid fans.

I don't doubt they may exist out there but like 3e/4e fanatics it seems more part of reddit culture than something I see on forums.

I've had a younger (late 20s) friend who played D&D discover AW and they were excited by it, not confused at all. Contrast that with Raggi saying on G+ that he couldn't make heads nor tails of Dungeonworld, the most conventional hack of PbtA one is going to find.

The whole line of argument reminds me of the girl I met in university who said she hated all electronic music 'because of who listens to it.' Frankly, seems like a horseshit approach to deciding what you like to me.

Until this Kickstarter blew up I was convinced 5e was the new hotness.
Oh, 5e still dwarfs all other games put together. A 3rd party 5e product is a face in the crowd so is unlikely to blow up.
But, even if I didn't care for the setting or system, it's good other games to have the ability to go big. A monoculture gets boring and would lead to a slow death of the hobby.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back