B-17: Queen of the Skies

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Reaction score
Recently rediscovered the joy of playing this great old solitaire wargame by AH.

View attachment 12003

As per the citation on BGG " B-17: Queen of the Skies is a strategy game which re-creates the early bombing missions and aerial combat of the B-17 (F Model) bombers of the US Eighth Air Force over Europe between November 1942 and May 1943. Movement to targets is through zones. Die rolls and game tables determine appearance, type, and position of enemy fighters. Charts are used to determine if hits are made, where the damage is located, and how serious the damage is. Game tables and die rolls also determine everything from the bomber's target and formation position to weather, flak, and German fighter opposition as the B-17 makes its way over land and sea to its target."

It has kept me distracted for the last couple of days. I am about to start my 5th mission (of 25), after having lost my bomber in a crash landing due to bad weather at my home airfield. Fortunately, the majority of my crew were unscathed, except for the Co-Pilot who was KIA, by Flak, while over the target in France.

Completely driven by d6's and charts it is quite a different playing experience than the current crop of games, but no less enjoyable. There are also many variants as well, both "official" and fan created, and a pretty active online community as well. It's a nice break from what I usually play, and if you can get a copy of this old gem I can highly recommend it.

I'm pretty sure my brother and I played that. The box looks very familiar. We also had another game--unless I'm thinking of the same one--where you had a sheet to write in the crew's names and you'd fly missions and record who got killed and have to replace them. I have no idea what it was called.

I always wanted to try B-17.

We've been playing some of Warlord Games Blood Red Skies at my store. It's a very modern, abstract game. Not much to my taste though the little plane models are fun.

I'm pretty sure my brother and I played that. The box looks very familiar. We also had another game--unless I'm thinking of the same one--where you had a sheet to write in the crew's names and you'd fly missions and record who got killed and have to replace them. I have no idea what it was called.

Sounds like the same game, as this is certainly fundamental part of B-17.
Just finished another mission -bombing Rotterdam. Got a 60% on target score, and my Tail Gunner bagged two Me-109's with no loss of crew, and only superficial damage. Not bad at all.

I always wanted to try B-17.

We've been playing some of Warlord Games Blood Red Skies at my store. It's a very modern, abstract game. Not much to my taste though the little plane models are fun.

I'm certainly enjoying it. I think I might even get out my old worn copy of Panzerblitz, and ASL, and give them a go when I finish with B-17.
I haven't tried any of the modern board/wargames, as the old AH and GDW games are really more my speed. Those and SYW miniature wargaming.

A game I never owned or played. I remember an old friend of mine was really into it, and spoke quite highly of it.
Another one for the "To Get List" along with Patton's Best.

If you don't mind fiddling with virtualization tools like DOSBox or emulators, Fifty Mission Crush is a good solo version of this.

There were a number of these not quite an RPG wargames in the 80s. I never played B-17, but came close to buying it several times. There was also Test of Arms, Advanced Squad Leader, Dawn Patrol and several others where you kept track of individuals with mini-character sheets.

That seems to be a game segment that has disappeared, although chit and board war games in general seem to have faded. Mostly what I see now are mini based war games and computer war games.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back