Banned from RPG.net

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering my avatar comes from an old soviet cartoon (the soviet version of Winnie the Pooh to be precise) I guess I should be careful :shock:
And welcome to the Pub.

Last edited:
I've gotten two short bans from the purple for ludicrous shit. I love that every ban comes packaged with a sanctimonious napoleon complex lecture too. Just wonderful.

Being banned from there is like being rained on. It can happen to anyone at any time and is not necessarily connected to user action in any causal link.

Every now and then, I check out a [Sell Me On/Off] thread over there that comes up in a Google search of a game I get interested in. It's uncanny how in all but every such thread that's at least a month old, at least one meaningful contributor to the discussion has the BANNED tag.

Every time I've seen a toxic business (and, working as a contractor in financial services, I get to see a lot of toxic businesses) if you poke and pry hard enough you will find one or two people at the root of it. It can take a while for the rot to spread (or it can be very quick), but all it takes is one bad apple in a key position. Eventually all the good people will get purged, or will give up and leave in disgust leaving only the deadwood and lunatics.

Or, as Joel Spolsky once put it - A's hire A's, B's hire C's.

Last edited:
ROTFL. Only a few thousands people.
Most of RPG.Net modding team is clinically insane.

Groupthink and a bunch of folks who have allowed somebody to convince them that they're in the right so it's OK to be shitheads. Certainly a load of cluster B personalities in the mix. Identifiable DSM style pathologies - probably some of them, no doubt a fair few with narcissistic traits if perhaps not full fat NPD.

But the main driver is that they've made themselves a little echo chamber and convinced themselves that they're in the right. Groupthink is a powerful drug.

I still visit there (one of the few RPG forums that still works on my old iPad... along with TheRPGSite) and I'm not banned (yet).
There IS good content to be found, but I just about never post there because it's such a minefield of random crazies.

Last edited:
My total experience with rpg.net:

iu

Every time I think about posting something there I go look in the infractions forum to remind myself why I don't.

Being banned from there is like being rained on. It can happen to anyone at any time and is not necessarily connected to user action in any causal link.
lol Yes, that about sums up the logic of getting banned there. Reading through their banned thread is a lesson in chaos theory. lol.

I still visit there (one of the few RPG sites that still works on my old iPad... along with TheRPGSite) and I'm not banned (yet).
There IS good content to be found, but I just about never post there because it's such a minefield of random crazies.
This sums up how I operate there, when I do wander over there. Though I still assume due to chaos theory that i'll end up with a ban. lol

My total experience with rpg.net:

iu

Every time I think about posting something there I go look in the infractions forum to remind myself why I don't.
The infraction forum used to fascinate me. I'd go there on the daily to play see-if-I-can-figure-out-what-the-banned-user-did-wrong. Some were easy, trolls and crazies screaming into traffic. Others, I could sorta see the shape of an implied disagreement. Yet others I gave up on because I realised I'd have to have my head up the moderator's arse as far as he had his own to make any sense of it.

The only reason to engage on RPG.net is the sell/trade forum. Maybe advertising for players.

First time I got banned might have been legit. I was frustrated and I could have been more gentle about my opinion that posting personal shit on a public forum can be unhealthy, especially since most folks are not qualified psychologists and we're only getting OP's side of the story.
Second reason was pure Purple Cobra twattery (suggested comedic confusion from naming a character Hehim Sheher (they/them)), but I agonized over it for several weeks (and spoke to several diverse-aware folks offline) before entirely abandoning all non-trade posts there. In my pettier moments, I've considered amending my .sig there to something like, "Can U Not Troll?"

But I'm better than that. Mostly when I'm asleep.

A lot of moderation on more heavy handed sites gets quite... randomized... by people's personal preferences intersecting weirdly with the actual supposed guidelines.

I've had slapdowns for using "wtf" and "!@#$" instead of spelling stuff out, once literally 5 or so posts away from someone else doing the same. Gotten infractions for saying that there existed ancient Greek mystery cults with popular sex festivals (I'm guessing linking to anything contemporary from Japan would have gotten me perma banned). And been temp banned for saying some people were being rather insulting to those who didn't agree with them.

Mostly it's all just noise. I take note of what causes the flipouts and just avoid that stuff.

First time I got banned might have been legit. I was frustrated and I could have been more gentle about my opinion that posting personal shit on a public forum can be unhealthy, especially since most folks are not qualified psychologists and we're only getting OP's side of the story.
Second reason was pure Purple Cobra twattery (suggested comedic confusion from naming a character Hehim Sheher (they/them)), but I agonized over it for several weeks (and spoke to several diverse-aware folks offline) before entirely abandoning all non-trade posts there. In my pettier moments, I've considered amending my .sig there to something like, "Can U Not Troll?"
I think that's hilarious.

But no way could you ever post that on dot net without getting dinged.

RPGnet is an authoritarian nightmare because they believe RPGnet's biased and hypocritical moderation is more important than talking about games.

The worst facets of the RPGsite come from the fact that they, too, think RPGnet's moderation is more interesting than talking about games.

RPG Pub is great, among many other reasons, because we don't make the same stupid fucking mistake.

I'm not permabanned, but I never went back after my 90; the reason I will never go back is someone else's story to tell.

It's not an exclusive club, and it's not an interesting story anymore-- unless you're Venger fucking Satanis-- but if you're actually looking for people talking about games, you'll actually find them here.

Welcome to the Pub; grab a beer, pull up a stool, and let's talk about some fucking elfgames.

Maybe we can ask TristramEvans TristramEvans how his little side project converting Mythras to the Modiphius 2d20 system is going...

edit: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to dismiss you or tell you not to talk about your frustration with them. I'm just saying there's a lot of people going through it, and not a lot of people interested in preaching to the choir about it.

Last edited:
but if you're actually looking for people talking about games, you'll actually find them here.
There still are PLENTY of folks talking about games over there. I won't post in them but I can usually find several interesting/informative threads that stay on topic and don't drift into 'issues'.

I think the point that we don't want to be the anti anything is a good point and the idea that we came here to talk about games is a good one to focus on.

RPG.net is a totalitarian nightmare forum run by solipsistic, hand-wringing bullies. The pearls they wear have been worn into tiny nubs by all the clutching. You can be sanctioned or banned for agreeing with them in the wrong way. You can hold the very same values they purport to uphold, but by expressing them in a way that deviates from party RPG.net rhetoric you open yourself up to being unpersoned.

And it wasn't so long ago that one of the main mods was obsessed with Russian tanks, while another used a mental health slur as a username, but that was okay because it was only a reference to a Russian submarine manouver. But this part of RPG.net history has been unhistoried and only the glorious, chest-beating, self-righteous now matters. What was fine yesterday is verboten today and is an executable offence tomorrow.

The purple shitter is overrated anyway, I didn't find anything worthwhile in there nor did I see any reason to join, aside from the assholes who mod the place, some of the regular posters also seem like dipshits not worth interacting with, all in all a truly loathsome place for the hobby, luckly there is the Pub.

The RPG Pub is great.

As long as we all accept that Mythras can "do that", whatever "that" might be. :wink:
We need more of this and less about all the other places aren’t the Pub. Think about the forum scene back in 2016 and ponder what the RPG community was like without this establishment.

In all seriousness, let’s not focus on other places. It doesn’t help anyone. It smacks of cross board drama which we have some policy that we try to avoid.

I mean, we have an “I appreciate this place” thread even! it’s better for you, them, and us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back