BattleTech Clan Invasion

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Kickstarter is live, funded in 7 minutes, looks to be a big one. Though I personally prefer the Succession War Eras, the new plastic mech designs are pretty sweet.

I should warn that unlike my other KS thread for BattleSystems terrain, I'm not personally endorsing this one, even though I am backing it. The reason mainly being that Catalyst as a company has some issues, and while they've been doing way better recently, they're still what I would consider "medium risk".

Okay first thing first thank you for making me aware of it Tristram. Second thing backed. Third thing what do books should I read to setup nice clan invasion campaign for my group when the product gets delivered. I have only three points of reference for Battletech the new video game, my new accquistion of a used copy of Battlespace, and watching the cartoon as a kid.

Okay first thing first thank you for making me aware of it Tristram. Second thing backed. Third thing what do books should I read to setup nice clan invasion campaign for my group when the product gets delivered. I have only three points of reference for Battletech the new video game, my new accquistion of a used copy of Battlespace, and watching the cartoon as a kid.

If you don't mind pdf, PM me and I'll hook you up. If you want hardcopies, the two absolute best overviews of the setting ever published were these two

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Between the two you can get completely caught up on the setting in a way that covers history, politics, daily life etc.

To really get into the feel of BattleTech I'd also highly recommend the two novel trilogies "Warrior" and "Blood of Kerensky". Everything in the setting essentially originated with or splintered off from these trilogies

Thank you but I love the Hunt for hardcopies. I even saw that Blood of kerensky books at the used book store where I picked up Battle Space so I'll be making a stop their this weekend. I just needed to know what books to keep an eye out for and since their is a sale at the drive thru right now I'll put those two in my cart and the trilogies if they already been snagged at the shop.

Timing on the kickstarter is not great for me. If they'd waited a month it would be amazing. :sad:

You can always back for $1 and it'll likely be a month after the campaign till the pledge manager goes out and you can change your pledge then. I do that pretty often with Kickstarters

You can always back for $1 and it'll likely be a month after the campaign till the pledge manager goes out and you can change your pledge then. I do that pretty often with Kickstarters

I fully intend to, but the $1 level says that none of the bonus stuff comes with it.

I fully intend to, but the $1 level says that none of the bonus stuff comes with it.

Oh yeah, some campaigns do that. Honestly, this campaign is all over the map IMO. Pins, short stories, t-shirts, wallpaper art, etc. What a load of wank. One of the reasons it's set off a few red lights for me, hence I'm only backing at a very low level.

The higher pledge levels have a lot of non-game-related crap, true enough. But up until the $95 level, it's almost solely dedicated to game rules, books, and/or minis.

Personally I'll take the chance to get the clan box alongside the base box and the Alpha Strike rules (if they put it in as an add-on, but I believe they will) so I can combine shipping.

Another nice detail: there's an $40 add-on which gives you the complete set of minis (and minis only) you can find in the base + beginner box. Ideal to complete you IS basic line without having to fork for additional (and useless) copies of the rules.

The higher pledge levels have a lot of non-game-related crap, true enough. But up until the $95 level, it's almost solely dedicated to game rules, books, and/or minis.

I was talking about The Stretch Goals, but yeah, that's what I mean by low pledge. In for $95, I'll add on minis as they become available. I'll probably end up with a ton of nonsense for Ebay.

Okay just want to point out something a little weird. There are currently 869 OC characters soon to be given canon status according to the various pledge levels and that number WILL rise. I do not know this particular fandom... should we be afraid?

Catalyst pumps out BT fanfiction like there's no tomorrow, shouldn't be hard for them to shovel them in.

So the minis are awesome, is the new game any good?

So the minis are awesome, is the new game any good?

It's the same game. One of the things I like best about BattleTech. Instead of a new system every few years, it's the same system with 40 years of playtesting. You could pick up a book from FASA published in the early 90's and the new stuff is 99.9% compatible.

okay through a clever series of book trades I've acquired battered copies of jade Falcon sourcebook and the mercenaries field manual. Everyone is keeping a firm hand on their TROs however.

Been watching the daily comments in the ks and some people are upset about the Kodiak mech being pulled from the Ghost Bears. Is this a particularly fun mech to play? or is it that important for narrative purposes?

okay through a clever series of book trades I've acquired battered copies of jade Falcon sourcebook and the mercenaries field manual. Everyone is keeping a firm hand on their TROs however.

Noble Knight Games seems to get them in in a regular rotation. If you set up a wish list they will send email notifications of new stock.

Been watching the daily comments in the ks and some people are upset about the Kodiak mech being pulled from the Ghost Bears. Is this a particularly fun mech to play? or is it that important for narrative purposes?
[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't know much about The Clan mechs, I've primarily stuck with Succession Wars/3025 era.

I have absolutely no interest in the Clans or Omnimechs. So, I guess I'll be waiting for those sweet new Unseen minis to hit retail.

Found out that a friend is going to the same Con as me this weekend and is willing to swap their old TROS for my old Ars Magica:grin:. Means I'll have a nice hardcopy references when I'm playing Battletech this weekend.

Has anyone heard the rumor that the metaplot is going to end with the dark age? I've heard this both from people I've talked to and I've read about it in the KS comments and I don't quite know what to make of it. Is this going to be a soft reboot like the one Resident Evil did or is this something else entirely?

Originally when Catalyst got the license from Topps, it was when WizKids were doing the Battletech clix game that took place in the Dark Age, and to distinguish itself, Catalyst had to 1) only deal with plot taking place before the DA and 2) name their products "BattleTech Classic". In the time since the Mechwarrior clix game was cancelled, Catalyst renegotiated their contract so they no longer have to call the game BattleTech Classic, just BattleTech. So if that renegotiation changed the situation with the DA fluff, I cannot say. However, the Catalyst plot hasn't even gotten to the DA yet, the Jyhad is still ongoing, so it's a bit presumptive to even worry about what happens after Dark Age, which is essentially still centuries away.

...centuries?
The Jihad ends in 3080, and the dark age officially starts in 3132 with the sabotage of the HPG network.

...centuries?
The Jihad ends in 3080, and the dark age officially starts in 3132 with the sabotage of the HPG network.

We're not "at 3080" yet though, in the standard timeline, and the Dark Age has no definitive ending, in fact from a fiction standpoint the main villain of the DA has not even been revealed yet, so yeah, there's a good 200+ years of fiction at least that Catalyst can get through before they have to worry about what happens after the Dark Age

It seems to me that BattleTech materials simply cover multiple eras, up to and including the Dark Age. The last supplement I looked at (can't recall the name offhand) described an event that was near the end of or after the Jihad.

Last days of the kickstarter. It has already reached the 2 million dollar mark and unlocked a free Urban mech minis for most backers as well as a huge swathe of other stuff. If your on the fence take a look at the new visual pledges on the campaign page. Personal note: I'm still unsure the value of making OC characters Canon but there are now thousands that think it a good buy so what do I know.

Okay, the pledge manager is open for everybody. Most important question is of course what faction did you pick for dice, coin, and shirt shirt? I went Clan Burrock straight down the line. I don't know anything about them from the books I could find but their symbol is of a centipede which reminded me of one of the families of the Mantis clan in L5R:thumbsup:.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back