BD&DSM & Geneology

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Since it's Paddy's Day, I don't know if you know this but your name is the actual royal lineage of a kingdom here. My family were your Bards.

Feel free to impose your aristocratic superiority on me, a uaisle ghil*

*Oh shining noble
:wink:
Yeah 23andMe reported back that my patrilineal phenotype was one associated with the Ui Niall clan. My immediate ancestors beyond my great grandfather came from Galway Ireland. But unfortunately the real spelling of our name, Connelly*, likely meant we were petty low on the totem pole. I know my great great grandfather and his sons were herders on a Protestant estate and his wife and daughters were weavers circa 1820.

*There are several variation of Conley all pronounced the same. For example there was a Secretary of the Treasury, John Connally.

"I'm a naughty schoolgirl"

"really? Well let's roll 3D6 to see how naughty you are..."

"Wait, what? No, I..."

"Hmmm, an 8. Let me check the rulebook for the corresponding chart..."

"I don't think...this isn''t what I had in mind..."

"It says here you are a "Lascivious Lass. That does give you a bonus to seduction, what's your Charisma score?"

"This is why you are still a virgin"

Yeah 23andMe reported back that my patrilineal phenotype was one associated with the Ui Niall clan. My immediate ancestors beyond my great grandfather came from Galway Ireland. But unfortunately the real spelling of our name, Connelly*, likely meant we were petty low on the totem pole
As far as I am aware Conley, Connelly, O'Connally etc are all just different Anglicizations of Ua Conghalaigh, the royal sept of the Uí Failge kingdom (and later others). It was very common for families to switch Anglicisations over time or upon emigration (post-Famine especially).
Of course there may be elements in your family's case that I'm not aware of.

Depends on what you mean by "Role Playing"
No guys! I said come around for D&D!

Back in the 1990s, I used to hang out virtually in a Star Trek IRC channel called #readyroom

People used to always join, say something like “I’m ready,” and then try to ERP with people in the channel. “It’s not that kind of ready room!”

Of course there may be elements in your family's case that I'm not aware of.
Yeah and not likely I will find out more since during the Easter uprising, the irish republicans happened to used the building where the pre-1901 census were housed as a fort. And the British shelling set it on fire. I was lucky in that the census records for Galway in 1820 were preserved.

Yeah and not likely I will find out more since during the Easter uprising, the irish republicans happened to used the building where the pre-1901 census were housed as a fort. And the British shelling set it on fire. I was lucky in that the census records for Galway in 1820 were preserved.
If you find it interesting the only thing one often finds "missing" in that period are if the name was past on matrilineally at any point, which was common enough if the wife's family was superior. Very few families ever changed actual surname as opposed to Anglifying their name differently. Like most (probably all) Conley/Connelly families to be found in Galway they came there after migrating from Monaghan upon losing royal status when the Gaelic kingdom was converted into a Norman Barony by the Normans (a family that originally served the Connelly family was granted baronhood by Norman lords).

So the individual names in each generation and particulars of individual households as such are lost due to the lost records, but the histories of family names as a whole are almost completely known.

"I'm a naughty schoolgirl"

"really? Well let's roll 3D6 to see how naughty you are..."

"Wait, what? No, I..."

"Hmmm, an 8. Let me check the rulebook for the corresponding chart..."

"I don't think...this isn''t what I had in mind..."

"It says here you are a "Lascivious Lass. That does give you a bonus to seduction, what's your Charisma score?"

"This is why you are still a virgin"

Ah yes, BD&DSM.

I’m always fascinated by family histories. I was able to trace one of my family branches all the way back to the 1100s. I’m related to Somerled, King of the Isles. He’s 28 generations back.

I’m always fascinated by family histories. I was able to trace one of my family branches all the way back to the 1100s. I’m related to Somerled, King of the Isles. He’s 28 generations back.

I've only been able to go back to the1700s, though I'm sure I could go back further if I tried fairly hard. My some level of greats grandfather Solomon moved from England to the Americas in the early-mid 1700s, and his son Solomon II fought in the Revolutionary War.

In general if your family tree finds it way back to European nobility you can go back quite aways back. My wife has a single tenuous link all the way back to the Lombard Kings of Italy from the 7th century. The furthest I can reliably trace back any of my branches to the 15th century.

Plus different region have different levels of record keeping. After the reformation in the 16th century started keeping really good records. One branch of my wife's family is from Northern Sweden and that branch is very well documented up to the 16th century. While others like my own Irish Paternal line stops dead once it hit Ireland. I only know who my great great grandparents from my great grand father's death certificate.

Generally people in the Americas have more interesting family histories I've found, since there's often cool stories surrounding the emigration and early years after coming over. Similarly in Australia.

As your bard and a Paddy's day gift Robertsconley here's your formal title. It reads "Robert Conley, Lord of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy" :wink:

IMG_20210317_174100.jpg

r
I've only been able to go back to the1700s, though I'm sure I could go back further if I tried fairly hard. My some level of greats grandfather Solomon moved from England to the Americas in the early-mid 1700s, and his son Solomon II fought in the Revolutionary War.

I have two great grandfathers on my father’s side who fought in the War. The elder was a Captain who had about twenty men under him, including the younger. He also owned property in NC and his neighbor was one of the Founding Fathers. There was marriage between the families too.

I don't know a lot about my father's side of the family before my grandmother's generation, but somebody on my mother's side did a genealogical study in the 1970s and managed to find a distant ancestor that came to England with Catherine of Aragorn. They didn't go back into French records before that, though.

Most of the rest of my ancestors seem to be of Scottish or Protestant Irish provenance, which those of a more green persuasion might think of as Scottish invaders anyway. One of my ancestors in that line made his fortune in Scotch Whiskey in Ireland in the latter part of the 19th century but, tragically, none of it filtered down as far as me.

There is a family story about someone making a pitch to get him to invest in producing Rayon, which he turned down with the reply "Artificial silk? It'll never catch on!"

The chap who pitched it to him went on to start a large chemical production firm that wound up as a part of Dupont.

Last edited:
Generally people in the Americas have more interesting family histories I've found, since there's often cool stories surrounding the emigration and early years after coming over. Similarly in Australia.

As your bard and a Paddy's day gift Robertsconley here's your formal title. It reads "Robert Conley, Lord of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy" :wink:

Thanks appreciate this.

European aristocracy tended to maintain pretty good records, and they are normally only lost if they got destroyed for some reason. Depending on where you lived, for the other 'alf there might be intact parish records, although a lot of these got destroyed in England and Ireland during Tudor and civil-war era anti-Catholic purges.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back