Before It Was Famous

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

PolarBlues

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
What author, band or other random thing did you discover long before it massively successful (and do you feel bitter about it)?

I was a George R R Martin fan back before in struck gold with his Song of Ice and Fire books, when he was only sort of known in sci-fi and horror circles. He was mostly known then for his creepy short stories and the Wildcards series, which he edited, wrote parts of and more important GMed with his gaming group of sci-fi authors (although I tihnk only the first book as any good). Perhaps less well know was his novel Windhaven, which he wrote with Lisa Tuttle and is absolutley and which is exceptional and among the most though provoking social science fiction I've come across. I also enjoyed the wit and crisp writing of Tuf Voyaging . Even Fever Dream was also pretty good, and I don't like vampires or gothicisms.

When the first of the Song of Ice of and Fire came out, I naturally bought it but it left me cold and that was the end of it for me. Little did it would go on to be such a massive hit and turn Martin in cult super-star.

So what's your I know him/her/them before they were famous?

Well, D&D...

Anyhow, I read Wild Cards to about book 4 or maybe 5 but it pretty much soured me on George RR Martin and I wouldn't want to read him again.

Neil Gaiman, I discovered Sandman from ads in DC comics and read it from the beginning. I eventually sold off my first printing run from 1 - 40. I haven't read him religiously but I did quite enjoy Fortunately The Milk and Od and the Frost Giants.

Cyberpunk - I got CP2013 when it came out. Now it's gotten quite big.

And, of course - The Pub, for which we have Black Vulmea Black Vulmea to thank for giving it a mention on COTI.

hipstercoffee.jpg

Pfft I knew Sandman back when he just was a dude in swiming trunks and a gas mask (okay, it might have just one reprint). So imagine my susprise when many, many years later I met comic book fans raving about the character!

The thig actually happen with Doom Patrol (I had on the other very early issues as a kid, I was not impressed).

The bitterness it wis meant as a joke.

well, to be fair, there are things that I am sorta bitter about them gaining popularity/going mainstream.

I think. For some reason I can't think of any right now. But I know I have felt that.

edit: oh, maybe Plague Doctors. I was heavy into plague doctors like 25 years ago, and now suddenly they seem to be everywhere. And it makes them feel less special.

Pfft I knew Sandman back when he just was a dude in swiming trunks and a gas mask (okay, it might have just one reprint). So imagine my susprise when many, many years later I met comic book fans raving about the character!

That's Wesley Dodds. He also had a groundbreaking Vertigo comic, Sandman Mystery Theatre, but that was by Matt Wagner, not Neil Gaiman.

Hmmm, Hellboy I guess, but I don't have any bitterness over that.
Same here. I remember a guy at the animation studio where I worked selling me on the character back in... 2001? Everyone else was, like, what are those circles on his forehead? Goggles?

Actually, I was into a bunch of stuff in the early 2000s that have become huge now.

My wife and I played Animal Crossing in its first edition on Game Cube. It was weird seeing so many people on social media gushing or speculating about the game this past year.

Also, I remember my wife searching far and wide for Nightmare Before Christmas paraphernalia. She had to make a trip to another city to purchase a themed pocket watch and it cost a fortune (and the staff at the novelty shop having no idea what the hell that movie was about). Fast forward to now and these kinds of items are a dime a dozen.

Also, about 15 years ago I remember checking every comic book shop in the city for Rocketeer and TMNT comics. Every shop owner told me that no one cares about that stuff and it is impossible to find. LOL

No bitterness, just envious of how easy it is for people to now enjoy these things

Oh I thought I wasn't going to have an answer for this but I do. I have the first issue with the appearance of the Guardians of the Galaxy and I really liked it. It was a bit challenging to get further issues but they became a lot more popular than I ever would have guessed.

My knew-them-before-they-got-big brag falls more into music. I often find bands after they've released their first album or EP and scrutinize their music in the subsequent album releases.

I'm the complete opposite for authors. Most of the time I'm discovering well-known books years, even decades after they're published.

Oh and starting next year I guess Moon Knight. One of my favorite Marvel characters. I have one of those Bowen statues of him and a complete collection of the comics up until a decade ago.

I used to have this, but then I got to know too many touring musicians as friends.

It's hard to keep "I hope this band never becomes big so they're my special thing" as an attitude when you're aware firsthand that if they sold more records they'd be able to pay off their mortgage.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back