BESM

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Whoops. If this happened before, I didn't remember it. It looks like Miniature Market charges your card at the time of pre-order, not the time of shipping. Oh well, I guess at least my order is in.

Whoops. If this happened before, I didn't remember it. It looks like Miniature Market charges your card at the time of pre-order, not the time of shipping. Oh well, I guess at least my order is in.
Yeah, that’s how they do.

Third edition of BESM is 50% off today only, for DriveThru's deal of the day.

Unfortunately this sale only seems to apply to the pdf
This ain't the latest edition, right?

Yeah, 3rd edition was the harder to get version. White-Wolf ended up owning it when Arthaus went under, as a way of settling their debts (IIRC). They published a small print run to retail and bookstores.

3rd edition is a pretty significant break from 1e/2e, the biggest change being converting to a roll over system.

4th editions is the new edition. The biggest change was streamlining and removing skill lists, replacing them with Skill Group attributes. 4th edition is a refinement of the 3rd edition of the game.

The BESM 4th Edition primer is free, and contains nearly all of the rules of 4e, with almost zero elaboration. if you are familiar with the 2nd or 3rd edition of the game, it may be all you need to run a 4e game:
BESM Primer - Fourth Edition (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) - Dyskami Publishing Company | BESM Fourth Edition | DriveThruRPG.com

Yeah, 3rd edition was the harder to get version. White-Wolf ended up owning it when Arthaus went under, as a way of settling their debts (IIRC). They published a small print run to retail and bookstores.

I think your memories are confused. ArtHaus was an imprint of White Wolf. The company that went under was Guardians of Order. GoO made a deal with White Wolf to get 3rd Edition published. That's why the ArtHaus Logo is on the spine instead of Guardians of Order.

You've gotten a chance to play it already? What have your experieces been with it so far?

I have! I've been playing a weekly game on Discord with a homebrew fantasy setting.

As a player, it's pretty good. Character creation takes a little longer than BESM 1st Edition but that edition was notoriously barebones.

I don't know what it's like to GM BESM 4E, but as a player, it's pretty solid and easy.

Doc Sammy Doc Sammy does that assume familiarity with all the different skills & enhancements / limiters & effect-based advantages and so on? Or have you guys found that a total noob could pick it up and get through character creation quickly? I've been a bit gun shy about picking it up and introducing it to my group because my (perhaps unfair) perception is that you've got Gurps levels of complexity with character creation, and that'd be a bridge too far for my group.

I'm not really so worried about it once you get into the game proper. It's that front loaded complexity that's kept me at bay until now. Interested in your experience with it.

Doc Sammy Doc Sammy does that assume familiarity with all the different skills & enhancements / limiters & effect-based advantages and so on? Or have you guys found that a total noob could pick it up and get through character creation quickly? I've been a bit gun shy about picking it up and introducing it to my group because my (perhaps unfair) perception is that you've got Gurps levels of complexity with character creation, and that'd be a bridge too far for my group.

I'm not really so worried about it once you get into the game proper. It's that front loaded complexity that's kept me at bay until now. Interested in your experience with it.

I was a total noob to the new system and I picked it up fairly easily. Granted, I have a really good GM who easily walked me through character creation

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back