Best Comic Panels of All Time

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
123799369_2972643652836934_1132875146592321245_n.jpg

In that phrase, "The Hapsburgs have declared war on France because they're dumb, ugly and Catholic", is that description referring to the Hapsburgs or the French?

JG
Fun fact: Jon Pertwee is descended from Hugenots (French protestants) who ran away to England to escape persecution in France.

I think 'dumb, ugly and catholic' sounds more like a joke about Charles II of Spain, who was the poster boy for western Habsburg inbreeding.

Fun fact: There are Habsburgs still involved in Austrian and Hungarian politics, and Mussolinis still involved in Italian politics. I think the Savoys are still banned from Italy and living in France.

Now I want to know what a Belgian Ferocity rule is.

I've always suspected that this was a joke by somebody at the playtest. It has since made its way into wargaming lore, though--a convention in 2010 in Northamptonshire included the following game:

Richard Brooks
OP 14
An operational level Great War game (well, it's quite good!) set in 1914.
Corps level activation and control, brigade level movement and combat resolution...
Historical scenario from August 1914, 2-3 Corps a side, featuring Belgian ferocity rules.

I think 'dumb, ugly and catholic' sounds more like a joke about Charles II of Spain, who was the poster boy for western Habsburg inbreeding.

Fun fact: There are Habsburgs still involved in Austrian and Hungarian politics, and Mussolinis still involved in Italian politics. I think the Savoys are still banned from Italy and living in France.

I think the game they are playtesting is A Mighty Fortress, which covered the period 1531-55, so the Hapsburg would be Charles V.
Alessandra Mussolini was in the European Parliament for a while, wasn't she?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back