Best Comic Panels of All Time

Endless Flight

Rise Above
Administrator
Reaction score
Hostess pies are a shadow of their former glory. They are so soft they fall apart before you even take them out of the packaging.

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
If I remember right, the time before this when Spider-Man fought Tarantula, Spidey Sorry was under the weather or injured or something, and thus had a hard time contending with dancing boy and his poison stingers, leading Tarantula to feel confident and comparable to Spidey Slide the next time they tangled. Which is when Spidey was pumping on all pistols and handed Tarantula's rump to him like so:
AmazingSpidey147.jpg

Dumarest

Reaction score
I remember picking up this issue of the Avengers. Roger Stern wrote some great stories. He had Spider-Man just right and his Avengers were a lot of fun.
image54-e1379040633744.jpg 898971.jpg

Dumarest

Reaction score
Somehow without Captain America, it just doesn't feel like the Avengers, even though he wasn't a founder.
avengers_form.jpg

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I remember picking up this issue of the Avengers. Roger Stern wrote some great stories. He had Spider-Man just right and his Avengers were a lot of fun.
He's mt favourite Spidey author. I've got his big Omnibus collection :

(contains every issue of Amazing and Web he wrote, with a pretty extensive opening with him discussing the character)

Dumarest

Reaction score
He's mt favourite Spidey author. I've got his big Omnibus collection :

(contains every issue of Amazing and Web he wrote, with a pretty extensive opening with him discussing the character)
I have that and it is awesome. My only criticism would be the couple of lead-up issues here and there that Stern didn't write aren't included, but otherwise that book is jammed with goodness. Even the letters pages are fun. Now we need a Roger Stern Avengers Omnibus.

Dumarest

Reaction score
I love comics that didn't take superheroes seeiously...
latest.jpg

Tom B

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Breaking with the trend toward humor...there are a couple of other panels that are favorites:

Dumarest

Reaction score
Breaking with the trend toward humor...there are a couple of other panels that are favorites:

Hmm...one might argue the trend was not in fact broken.:clown: Those are pretty over the top!

Dumarest

Reaction score
I'm going to say a cover is but a panel writ large. And this is one of the greatest covers ever:
latest-8.jpg
You don't often see Captain America sucker-punching two spies while the Sub-Mariner chokes a third.

Dumarest

Reaction score
A much-forgotten Golden Age great...gotta love Cat-Man swinging that guy by the ankles to put the beat-down on another:
0-3.jpg

Dumarest

Reaction score
I guess this happened before the Human Torch burned Hitler alive:
49dae79cb56fcfe36be00be7e4a080c8.jpg
hitlerad4.jpg
But probably after Captain America gave him a good thrashing:
5qMBk0jDM6Gq-v4_-MbNS7okoU8.jpg

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Probably why all of Batman's villains were molded in the image of Dick Tracy villains.

There's a fascinating interview with Bill Finger by the Batmania fanzine in 1967 (uploaded online here) where he goes into the inspirations for the creation of a lot of the iconic villains. What's amusing is that Finger was very much against recurring villains: he wanted Batman to kill all of them off.

Dumarest

Reaction score
There's a fascinating interview with Bill Finger by the Batmania fanzine in 1967 (uploaded online here) where he goes into the inspirations for the creation of a lot of the iconic villains. What's amusing is that Finger was very much against recurring villains: he wanted Batman to kill all of them off.
Yeah...Bob Kane has "memories" of lots of things he had little or nothing to do with, like creating Robin and the Joker...:wink:...and just generally writing or drawing almost any Batman after 1939...:clown:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Kane wanted to be Hal Foster - coast to success and fame on the back of ghost writers and artists. It didn't work out for him as well as Disney, but I think Bill Finger is, along with Siegal & Shuster, one of the longstanding shames of the comic book industry. I can't help thinking that if he'd been around today, things might have been better for him At least Patreon exists. Instead he died penniless, while Kane guest starred with Adam West.

Ladybird

TRAHR
Reaction score
Somehow without Captain America, it just doesn't feel like the Avengers, even though he wasn't a founder.
View attachment 1797
I love the classic Iron Man suit.

When Marvel Heroes was still around, the Diablo clone that died last year, I had the grey shellhead costume for my Iron Man. It didn’t animate properly, it didn’t really fit with the game’s aesthetic, a lot of the powers came from the wrong points, but dammit it was cool.

Justin Alexander

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Seriously. If you've got names or anything that would be amazing, because literally no one else in the universe knows about this.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
Seriously. If you've got names or anything that would be amazing, because literally no one else in the universe knows about this.
It seems like the other students in his class would know....

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Documentation?
Um, no. This was from our teachers Tex Blaisdell, Hy Eisman, and Bill Kurtzman, who all started as ghost artists on various comic strips like Prince Valiant, Little Orphan Annie, Popeye, Terry and the Pirates etc. I didn't ask them for citations of their life experiences, obviously. I mean, I heard about this when I was 17, didn't know it was even that unknown. So I can't back it up, didn't even know it would be a controversial statement.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Well Hy Eismann is still alive, but he doesn't use social media. I'm pretty certain (or at least I got the impression at the time) that everyone in the industry knew this. It was common practice. I don't know of any comic strip from that time period that didnt have a staff of ghost artists working on it, including Eisner's the Spirit. Only exceptions I can think of are Little Nemo, Krazy Kat, Pogo, and I have no idea about Peanuts.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Again, didn't realize this was a controversial statement. It may be talked about in some documentary or some books on the subject I read, but the info wouldn't have even stood out in my mind.

Justin Alexander

Legendary Member
Reaction score
You just picked the one guy who has been repeatedly noted (one example) for not even having assistants for most of his career, let alone ghost artists. And when he retired (to just layouts and scripting in 1970 and then entirely in 1980) he made sure that the assistant and, later, replacement artist was credited on the page.

Poking into this a little bit more, it appears that there were 15-20 strips of Prince Valiant in 1970 where various artists were trying out to become the full-time replacement in which the artists did not receive on-page credit. These are the only strips for which the artist was not accurately credited. Murphy's ongoing role once he became the full-time replacement was credited on the page and hardly a secret: He won the National Cartoonists Society Story Comic Strip Award in 1971, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1984, and 1987 for his work on Prince Valiant.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I love the Prince Valiant strips, really want to pickup some of the full colour collection that I believe Fantagraphics put out.

My wife has the complete Little Nemo strips collection, they are lovely. I also have some of the Krazy Kat and Gasoline Alley strips. For Peanuts I have two volumes, one from the late 50s and one from the 60s. I think the 60s strips are the best.

Dumarest

Reaction score
May 1954...before Captain America went soft...! Deliberately leaving the leader of spy ring to perish in flames is pretty brutal! This is the guy who was later at loggerheads with the Punisher over methodology?
20180524_230305.jpg

Dumarest

Reaction score
I love the Prince Valiant strips, really want to pickup some of the full colour collection that I believe Fantagraphics put out.
I have all of them to date and they are fantastic.