Best Comic Panels of All Time

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A fan commission by Fernando Ruiz...

46118109_10218051643543893_464545672780054528_n.jpg

I bet that's one Archie artist's get asked for a lot

If you never cared for Green Lantern before, this cover proves he's awesome:
3601281-161.jpg

Justice League International was brilliant. One of the four best post-Crisis books published by DC Comics, IMO.
Conversely, the one-dimensional treatment of the characters after the first few issues, especially the undermining of Blue Beetle, made me stop buying DC comics altogether circa 1988. Their Captain Marvel-as-a-moron schtick only showed they didn't give a crap about the characters' portrayal if it got in the way of their "humor." I get that it was supposed to be "funny," but it all came across as self-satisfied, smug, and self-referential to me.

If you never cared for Green Lantern before, this cover proves he's awesome:

I'm not sure what that cover tells me about Green Lantern's awesomeness, unless it just means you don't like Zatana?

Or should I say "anataZ ekil t'nod uoy"?

And my favourite ever from Dilbert ...

dt991010shc0.gif

I think Alice is my favourite Dilbert character. In another gig, the CFO of the client I worked for bore a disturbing resemblance to the Pointy Haired Boss.

Last edited:
Is that another Defenders Rutland Halloween?
Close. It's the very first Rutland Halloween story, from The Avengers #83 (cover-dated December 1970, so probably on sale in September 1970).

Close. It's the very first Rutland Halloween story, from The Avengers #83 (cover-dated December 1970, so probably on sale in September 1970).

I yes. I remember that one very well. First appearance of the Valkyrie. Good times.

I was never a reader of Justice League comics growing up, the exception being the Griffen run which I picked up on years later while reading Starman.

But it tickles me pink that they had a "Detroit Era"

That actually looks good to me, but I read a lot of First/Eclipse/Comico and similar stuff BITD, and I really dig that second-stringer vibe.
First you call him a second-stringer and then you refuse him the dignity of a capital V! What did poor ol' Vibe ever do to you, pescado?
Justice-League-of-America-Annual-Vol.-1-2-1984.jpg

First you call him a second-stringer and then you refuse him the dignity of a capital V! What did poor ol' Vibe ever do to you, pescado?

How did he even make it to be a second-stringer? Can he vibrate bowels at 4 Hz? If so, he would be quite good at mob control.

I can see him being popular with single ladies, though.

Sorry, didn't check back to see if this might have already been posted...

by-the-comics-dc-al-124-captain-america-stop-its-24518257.png
Pretty sure it was a while ago but who wants to scroll through 8 pages to find it? It's worth repeating, along with
DC_SpiderMan.jpg69c4ba6cdb254a4cf1abd8e2fd234c3d--marvel-vs-marvel-comics.jpgdc_ghost_rider.jpg
I'd buy all of 'em!

I'd buy all of 'em!

Fat Spidey should think outside the box - All he needs to do is to cover Aunt May with webbing, make a webbing net beneath her and let her fall, nicely cushioned. But, no, all he thinks about is swinging about on a fancy web.

Fat Spidey should think outside the box - All he needs to do is to cover Aunt May with webbing, make a webbing net beneath her and let her fall, nicely cushioned. But, no, all he thinks about is swinging about on a fancy web.
He really should. That's one of my biggest annoyances in superhero comic books: when the writers have a notion they want to play out a particular way despite it making no sense, so they make an otherwise intelligent character conveniently forget his various powers and abilities and act the buffoon in order for the story to follow a certain course. Like every time Green Lantern is stopped by a yellow object but could easily use his ring to manipulate other items in the environment instead, or Superman forgets he has super-hearing, super-vision, and so on and walks into traps. The best writers come up with ideas to get around portraying Flash as so stupid he forgets that he can outrun bullets or vibrate through walls, etc.

(It's also where superhero RPGs diverge greatly from the genre: no player ever forgets his hero can do X, Y, and Z. It's what makes running a good superhero game challenging sometimes.)

Oh man, I have a near-complete set of the early '80s Red Circle* Mighty Crusaders revival. Started off well, then petered out in ignominity. What's that Perez cover from? Did he get the Comet's visor wrong? I seem to recall it being less blocky.

* a.k.a. Archie.

That was the visor from the 80s revival of The Comet, I believe. As for the cover, It's a mash-up from a blogspot that does A TIN of them. Not sure if the source(s) for this particular one, I'm afraid.

https://braveandboldlost.blogspot.com/?m=1

Edit: I freakin' love The Mighty Crusaders. I got The MLJ Companion as a gift, it's a great read. As a comic, it's had it's peaks and valleys, but overall, it's one of my favorite super-teams.

Oh man, I have a near-complete set of the early '80s Red Circle* Mighty Crusaders revival. Started off well, then petered out in ignominity. What's that Perez cover from? Did he get the Comet's visor wrong? I seem to recall it being less blocky.

* a.k.a. Archie.

Does Archie still own those characters? I seem to remember them getting passed to DC at some point, but I may be thinking of a different hero group. Either way it's a shame The Fly at least hasn't been given more attention recently, he was always one of my favourite supers designs.

latest

He really should. That's one of my biggest annoyances in superhero comic books: when the writers have a notion they want to play out a particular way despite it making no sense, so they make an otherwise intelligent character conveniently forget his various powers and abilities and act the buffoon in order for the story to follow a certain course.
I get that not every writer could be a physicist, but even 8-year old me thought it was stupid when Aquaman reflected a lightning bolt with a mirror to defeat Weather Wizard.

Does Archie still own those characters? I seem to remember them getting passed to DC at some point, but I may be thinking of a different hero group. Either way it's a shame The Fly at least hasn't been given more attention recently, he was always one of my favourite supers designs.

latest

DC had the rights to the Crusaders (which they published under their Impact! imprint) for a while. But they have since gone back to Archie. WRT The Fly, rights have reverted back to the creator, Joe Simon. That's why you don't see him anymore, I'm afraid.

I may be in the minority, but I actually liked the Impact! stuff.

That's one of my biggest annoyances in superhero comic books: when the writers have a notion they want to play out a particular way despite it making no sense, so they make an otherwise intelligent character conveniently forget his various powers and abilities and act the buffoon in order for the story to follow a certain course.

This is why I really liked Jim Shooter's tenure at Marvel, that issue was a high priority for him, along with devotion to continuity. I think the Official Handbook project was the perfect embodiment of this.

DC had the rights to the Crusaders (which they published under their Impact! imprint) for a while. But they have since gone back to Archie. WRT The Fly, rights have reverted back to the creator, Joe Simon. That's why you don't see him anymore, I'm afraid.

Didn't Simon pass in 2011? I would have thought that to be quickly proceeded by whatever heirs selling the IP off, or at least licensing them

I may be in the minority, but I actually liked the Impact! stuff.

I was never aware of them. It's funny how, pre-internet (or even Pre-Wizard I guess) my entire awareness of the industry was based on whatever local convenience stores stocked.

Archie still has the whole stable with the notable exception of the Fly, which reverted to Joe Simon (or his estate) quite a while back. They do still have Fly Girl, which is kind of like if DC had Supergirl without Superman, given the central space the Fly held is similar to Superman's place at DC.
d33e538ae8906eb732e7acfe198edf65.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back