Best Comic Panels of All Time

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
One of my favorite panels ever! Along with the silver surfer surfing the Crunch to get more power to face the Primordials. (I can't even find an image of that).

And this one:

df2c4081d8cb2fc636a0d52ef9c7fbeb.jpg

The first Galactus story was very popular so Stan kept wanting to bring him back, and Kirby often objected saying that the character should be used very sparingly, lest you remove what made him special and a threat. He should be always at least one step removed from the actions of characters in the Marvel Universe, like a force of nature more than a person.

I quite liked the Ulitmates^2 storyline where they rebooted Galactus as the lifebringer. It was a really cool concept for a high powered cosmic team. But Galactus's power level seems to fluctuate a great deal. It may be because his power level fluctuates with his diet. When he's just eaten half a dozen worlds he's a cosmic force like no other but if he's skipping meals, he quickly downgrades to a big purple guy. That's probably why he's dependant on technology much of the time. The power cosmic can do anything but it costs him. Where's my no prize?

The first Galactus story was very popular so Stan kept wanting to bring him back, and Kirby often objected saying that the character should be used very sparingly, lest you remove what made him special and a threat. He should be always at least one step removed from the actions of characters in the Marvel Universe, like a force of nature more than a person.

I would generally agree, with only a few exceptions. The Ultimates story David Johansen David Johansen mentioned being one. The Hickman run pic I went with was great overall and when it began, Galactus was dead, so it brought him back.

Just for the sake of disambiguation, Ultimates^2 is not related to the Ultimate universe though the Ultimates from that universe did show up in the last issue.

I would think even if Galactus was killed, he would just reincarnate/regenerate on his own at some point in the future. He’s a primal force in the MU.

Yeah, he pretty much does. There seems to be a notion that he's some kind of essential aspect of the universe. There's a really fantastic bit in Ultimates^2 where he recruits Ego to fight against Logos: the merged Order and Chaos that murdered The Living Tribunal. After some conflict they both manifest as the scientists the once were, both seeking to escape destruction and becoming something else. It's a really neat bit. I should dig it up and post it.

It’s crazy to me because Galactus can use a tiny portion of his power to create a being such as the Silver Surfer, who’s quite powerful in his own right, and we see him get his can kicked, even if it’s, as you say, just for a couple seconds.

I would generally agree, with only a few exceptions. The Ultimates story David Johansen David Johansen mentioned being one. The Hickman run pic I went with was great overall and when it began, Galactus was dead, so it brought him back.

So is he back now? I couldn't tell from the synopsis if everything ended with him dead or alive.

It’s crazy to me because Galactus can use a tiny portion of his power to create a being such as the Silver Surfer, who’s quite powerful in his own right, and we see him get his can kicked, even if it’s, as you say, just for a couple seconds.
Galactus is very overconfident, and rightly so. He didn't think that Thanos could summon enough power to do anything to him in all honesty. That hubris more than what Thanos brought took him down.

So is he back now? I couldn't tell from the synopsis if everything ended with him dead or alive.

Sorry, I was trying to avoid spoilers because there's some time shenanigans and the like that go on in that story...so there are multiple Galacti and how it all plays out in Hickman's run is interesting. I also have to reread that run since it's been a few years.

I mean, take a look at this....
1617731215877.png

That's like 6 Reed Richardseseses with 6 Ultimate Nullifiers against Galactus and 4 Periodic Table Surfers! There can be no correct answers!!!

But the short answer is that Galactus has appeared in the Marvel Universe since that run ended. For a short time in a much different form, but then back to the big purple lug we all know.

dp7.jpg

I just got a kick out of this panel, because I haven't seen a McDonalds in this style in years. They're all generic box buildings now like everything else nowadays. So I got a pleasant dose of nostalgia from the panel.

I remember when the sign in front of McDonald’s said “over 10 (or 20) billion served”.

I salute your ability to recognise comics from tiny snippets of art.
I know Gabriel was going to be reading D.P.7, and I remember a scene early in the series where they steal a metric buttload of food from a McDonalds while on the run (one of the characters had been a former shift manager, I think), so it was a logical guess.

Sorry, I was trying to avoid spoilers because there's some time shenanigans and the like that go on in that story...so there are multiple Galacti and how it all plays out in Hickman's run is interesting. I also have to reread that run since it's been a few years.

I mean, take a look at this....
View attachment 29255

That's like 6 Reed Richardseseses with 6 Ultimate Nullifiers against Galactus and 4 Periodic Table Surfers! There can be no correct answers!!!

But the short answer is that Galactus has appeared in the Marvel Universe since that run ended. For a short time in a much different form, but then back to the big purple lug we all know.
It's no big deal- I'm back to reading comics, but nothing like it used to be, and it will never get there. I mostly read second runs on Comixology these days.

It's no big deal- I'm back to reading comics, but nothing like it used to be, and it will never get there. I mostly read second runs on Comixology these days.

Well, I’d recommend that run on FF if you aren’t already familiar with it. Great stuff.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back