Best Comic Panels of All Time

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That's because he's holding her arm, not her boob, you pervert
You know I actually expected that comment but I still think it's oddly symmetrical and all the fingers are oddly even in length.

You know I actually expected that comment but I still think it's oddly symmetrical and all the fingers are oddly even in length.

The bottom three are bent.

As good as Romita Jr was in the 80s on ASM, I think he was even better on his second run with JMS.

As good as Romita Jr was in the 80s on ASM, I think he was even better on his second run with JMS.

His stuff noticeably improved as time went on. I think the Man Without Fear miniseries is when his style really developed into it's mature form, which was readily apparent by the time he worked with JMS on Spidey again.

daredevil man without fear 101.jpg

lbQQae4DknrhR_4PXvtLAnodR6FsSUNFTIwJVWoj0vI.jpg

63PRqnV5z-unSNpHCw2ZXdzOeu0nNly5B-mpsoRfHR4.jpg

I’m sure he took a lot of cues from his father and who wouldn’t? Later on, he created his own style. It really works for Spider-Man. I’m not as gung-ho about his DC stuff but that just might be me.

I suspect the inker has much to answer for in that first Peter/MJ panel. It wasn't a Vince Colletta special, was it?

My absolute favourite Spidey artist is John Romita Sr...when I picture Spider-man in my head, it's his version that resides there.

f6d9d17eaba538b5fd1a9c1466891b0b.jpg

After that it's hard to pick favourites...I know who I don't like, but from Ditko to Larsen, Andru to Steve Rude, there's been a lot of talent turned to Spidey over the years. It's easier for me to pick eras of the comic that I loved

He's not my favorite Spidey artist, but the first time I grabbed an issue and was blown away by the art was the first McFarlane issue I read. I drew McFarlane stuff for like a solid year after that.

He's not my favorite Spidey artist, but the first time I grabbed an issue and was blown away by the art was the first McFarlane issue I read. I drew McFarlane stuff for like a solid year after that.

His stuff was a very dynamic change from anything that came before. I didn't mind his Spidey, it was all the other characters I thought were a disaster when he drew them, and he was a clumsy graphic storyteller. He was good at action shots, and that was impressive enough, especially for covers:

clean (1).jpg

Like even there, I have no idea what's going on with his left leg, but overall the cover is really dynamic

Like even there, I have no idea what's going on with his left leg, but overall the cover is really dynamic
McFarlane's impossible anatomy. It's a thing. It was his covers that really blew me away too, although at the time the interior art was also very cool. I was young enough that I couldn't have given less of shit about visual storytelling per se, I just wanted it to be cool. His Venom is a big part of why that character occupies so much of my Spiderman villain mental real estate.

heh, I always hated Venom, I thought he was a "DC Villain" - just an evil version of the character, like Bizarro Superman or (snicker) Reverse-Flash.

But I liked how over the top Erik Larsen took him...

51dkn++sXDL.jpg

McFarlane tried to do G.I.Joe but he lasted one issue. He didn’t do well drawing ensemble casts.

That's fine, I want McFarlane nowhere near GI Joe, as much as I appreciate his talents elsewhere.

Mcfarlane had a dynamic style, but as you guys have said, best for covers and the like. His storytelling was pretty awful. Not something I realized when I first saw his work, though.

I think his earlier work tends to be better. Not his very earliest, but some of his Batman stuff and then Hulk. Then he transitioned over to Amazing, and although his quirks worked for Spidey, they were very hit or miss for other characters.

By the time they gave him his own book, and then the crossover between that book and Liefield’s X-Force, his work was like a caricature of itself.

Probably then bounced back with some of the early Spawn stuff, but the moodiness was a pretty big factor there. But before long, the same goofiness started to creep in. It was probably around then I realized I didn’t like his art as much as I thought. Or that my tastes were maybe maturing or changing a bit.

I don’t think he even drew much more after that point, honestly. Kind of amazing how big a name he is given the scope of his career. That 90s boom was pretty insane.

McFarlane's impossible anatomy. It's a thing. It was his covers that really blew me away too, although at the time the interior art was also very cool. I was young enough that I couldn't have given less of shit about visual storytelling per se, I just wanted it to be cool. His Venom is a big part of why that character occupies so much of my Spiderman villain mental real estate.
His impossible anatomy was one of the things they tried to recreate in the movie in the way that Spidey swung.

About that GI Joe... after he did Spiderman, they release the rejected comic with another cover by another artis (Gozier). Notice the wrist in the homage.

mOpj6d5O.jpg

I guess that was the homage part.

Larry drew all or part of four issues of the series: 21, 26, 35, and 36. The first two are probably my two favorite issues of the series. My favorite Joe artist is between Rod Whigham, who started with 31, and MD Bright, who started much later, with issue 89 I believe. He penciled the excellent “Snake-Eyes Trilogy”.

I really like Mike Zeck's GI Joe work, but IIRC he only did covers.

For interior art I enjoyed Ron Wagner's run.

Wagner is best remembered for the “Death of Cobra Commander” storyline, which is where I separate the first era of Joe with the second.

Is that where Fred 7 shot him and then took his place?

Even as a kid I found that annoying.

Is that where Fred 7 shot him and then took his place?

Even as a kid I found that annoying.
Yes, the story started right after COBRA invaded the PIT. Issue 55 is basically where it starts and ends in 61 when he is shot. Cobra Commander would rise from the grave some thirty issues later.

Hey....

Wanna see something?

Breetai.jpg

It was the 90s. There was a whole comic full of stuff like that.

Wanna know what makes it even better?

His spaceship is a giant 4000m long green penis.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back