Great Comicbook Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so the other thread was a bit schizophrenic, so I decided to move the "serious" examples of great comicbook art over to their own thread. It'll take me a bit to go through the whole thing, but from now on, the "Best Comic Panels of All Time" will be for humorous,/ironically bad/ comic panels and comic strips, and this thread wioll be for an appreciation of the art form.

Guaranteed sale to Dumarest in the Bronze Age:
marvelteam-up1972series25.jpg 2432248-marvelteam_up056.jpg il_570xN.775221107_u9v4.jpg il_570xN.799712030_gi31.jpg Marvel_Team_Up_Spider-Man_and_Daredevil_141_large.jpg

I have a near-complete set of Atlas Comics...nobody else seems to like them!
fc1f413bb5e4a96684d1107d220a8267.jpg
How could anyone not want to read "The Night of the Golden Führer"?

The Cougar was really a very good and original blend of Kolchak, Hollywood, the stuntman/Eval Knievel fad, and super hero action.
a2869e59a1ce699c400de4253ce38bdc.jpg cougar1.jpg

If I remember right, the time before this when Spider-Man fought Tarantula, Spidey Sorry was under the weather or injured or something, and thus had a hard time contending with dancing boy and his poison stingers, leading Tarantula to feel confident and comparable to Spidey Slide the next time they tangled. Which is when Spidey was pumping on all pistols and handed Tarantula's rump to him like so:
AmazingSpidey147.jpg

I remember picking up this issue of the Avengers. Roger Stern wrote some great stories. He had Spider-Man just right and his Avengers were a lot of fun.
image54-e1379040633744.jpg 898971.jpg

I remember picking up this issue of the Avengers. Roger Stern wrote some great stories. He had Spider-Man just right and his Avengers were a lot of fun.

He's mt favourite Spidey author. I've got his big Omnibus collection :

SMRSOMNIV1HC_solicit.jpg

(contains every issue of Amazing and Web he wrote, with a pretty extensive opening with him discussing the character)

He's mt favourite Spidey author. I've got his big Omnibus collection :

SMRSOMNIV1HC_solicit.jpg

(contains every issue of Amazing and Web he wrote, with a pretty extensive opening with him discussing the character)
I have that and it is awesome. My only criticism would be the couple of lead-up issues here and there that Stern didn't write aren't included, but otherwise that book is jammed with goodness. Even the letters pages are fun. Now we need a Roger Stern Avengers Omnibus.

Breaking with the trend toward humor...there are a couple of other panels that are favorites:

a7bYv1L_700b.jpg

5594095-7394556378-f8ISQ.jpg

Breaking with the trend toward humor...there are a couple of other panels that are favorites:

a7bYv1L_700b.jpg

5594095-7394556378-f8ISQ.jpg
Hmm...one might argue the trend was not in fact broken.:clown: Those are pretty over the top!

Anybody else remember buying this comic off the rack?
aquacover18.jpg
And coming to this utter b.s.?
downloadfile.jpg
Where the real superheroes were replaced by rejects* from a middle school Champions campaign?
JusticeLeagueDetroit1.jpg
Remember when they tricked us into thinking they had realized what a mistake this all was and that the real superheroes were coming back?
326.jpg
The one upside, of course, was these scenes so laughably bad they were almost good:
jl-2.jpglatest-2.jpglatest-1.jpgvibe-1.jpg
Believe it or not, someone was clamoring for an omnibus edition reprinting the entirety of the post-quality Justice League of America!
91g4rEUjaRL.jpg4451384.jpg

* Actually, Vixen is tolerable. I always envisoned her as Grace Jones.

I liked Vixen's original costume better. Too bad the DC Implosion nixed her being the first black superheroine to headline her own monthly back in the '70s.
Vixen8.jpg

Always thought Eddie Campbell’s work on From Hell was brilliant. He doesn’t seem to get the kudos he deserves.

69A2AA4F-6454-4CCA-B75F-347A79F6A342.jpeg

The panels of the Jack the Ripper murders are excellent but very disturbing and graphic, even more so for the matter-of-fact way they are presented. My wife still hasn’t read From Hell because she glimpsed these panels when I first read it and it creeped her out too much.

Always thought Eddie Campbell’s work on From Hell was brilliant. He doesn’t seem to get the kudos he deserves.

View attachment 6583

The panels of the Jack the Ripper murders are excellent but very disturbing and graphic, even more so for the matter-of-fact way they are presented. My wife still hasn’t read From Hell because she glimpsed these panels when I first read it and it creeped her out too much.

Campbell was a perfect choice. Moore seems to have a knack for picking the right artist to illustrate a particular story. Not many artists could have pulled that off without making it exploitive somehow. But Campbell pulled it off without compromising the horrific nature of the subject.

What was Red Tornado up to at that point?
Getting himself together. In other words, a failed miniseries that piqued almost no one's interest. Sketchy late-period Carmine Infantino art, which I personally enjoy*, didn't help.
Red-Tornado-1980s-house-ad.jpg
* It was just about the only reason I was still reading Flash during the godawful "Trial of the Flash" storyline.

I always wished the 1983 Green Arrow miniseries had led to a continuing series. It was good fun. I don't think there was any good reason Green Arrow and Black Canary couldn't have moved to Detroit, but it was a long time ago now. I know a lot of the mainstays of the team who didn't have an ongoing series were getting their own miniseries right about that time, but mainly I think the plan was to turn the JLA into an "all-new, all-different X-Men" ripoff with a team of nobodies living and training together with Aquaman as the Cyclops stand-in.
greenarrowmini.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile the Atom had been rendered unusable because he was stuck at 6 inches tall and living it up as John Carter of Mars with his very own Dejah Thoris stand-in down in the Amazon...
latest-25.jpglatest-33.jpglatest-14.jpglatest-26.jpg
...while his buddy Hawkman fought a Shadow War...
The_Shadow_War_of_Hawkman.jpg

You know far too much about comics.
I understood all the individual words in that sentence, but together in that particular order they make no goddamn fucking sense.

Last edited:
I remember seeing that Hawkman cover and wondering why he tied his own hands together to fight shadow-guys.

Also the eyes on that mask sit at about where the guy underneath's hairline would be.
You know far too much about comics.
Soaking in 'em for a couple decades will do that. I'm not on Dumerest's level, but I do love some old comics trivia.

Which is part of the reason I gave up on Marvel after Onslaught and DC when 52 started. I have too much invested in the old continuity to want to relearn everything.

Soaking in 'em for a couple decades will do that. I'm not on Dumerest's level, but I do love some old comics trivia.

Which is part of the reason I gave up on Marvel after Onslaught and DC when 52 started. I have too much invested in the old continuity to want to relearn everything.
I'm a "pre-Crisis" guy. My knowledge of DC and Marvel comics (and almost all comics) ends circa 1989 or so. I read for a while after the Crisis on Infinite Earths maxiseries but didn't care for the vast majority of the changes. After that, I just don't care to pretend this story happened and that story didn't or whatever it is they do now.

clone saga is when I parted ways with Marvel, but I was hanging on by a thread at that point. Marvel basically kicked off the 90s by destroying all their continuity and everything Shooter and co. had worked so hard to establish and maintain.

I had that Green Arrow miniseries it was fun. Had a D&D reference that wasn't kids going crazy and killing themselves.
I'll have to dig it out and re-read it as I don't remember that at all! I did like how he got stuck with a mystery and said (essentially), "Crap, that's not my strong suit...oh well!"

I still read new comics. I take them in limited doses. Marvel pretty much ruined Spider-Man comics for me. I get my Apidey fix by the movies and cartoons. My daughter and I are going to see Into the Spider-Verse tonight at the theater. DC has made so many changes over the years I just shrug about their Nu-DC events.

Marvel is publishing a mini-series in a couple of months based on the new video game Spider-Man which is pretty much untainted by all of the crap since the '90s, so I have some hope for that.

Other than that, I pretty much stick to Boom!, IDW, and other independent publishers these days.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back