Great Comicbook Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'll have to dig it out and re-read it as I don't remember that at all! I did like how he got stuck with a mystery and said (essentially), "Crap, that's not my strong suit...oh well!"

Hmmm...It's possible it was in a Green Arrow backup feature somewhere else. There's this hacker kid taking over computers and he has these robots do the moving wall bit and shove GA down an elevator shaft. When he's finally caught he says "I let you get away, haven't you ever played Dungeons & Dragons." But I'd pick up a book if it had a Green Arrow appearance or back up feature so it might not have been in the miniseries. I do remember the bit where he has Count Vertigo tied up and is shooting progressively smaller fruit off his head. Afterwards he's thinking the Count's Pretty scrawny and could use some of his home cooked chilli. I think that compassion's one of the things that really sets Green Arrow apart as a character.

Hmmm...It's possible it was in a Green Arrow backup feature somewhere else. There's this hacker kid taking over computers and he has these robots do the moving wall bit and shove GA down an elevator shaft. When he's finally caught he says "I let you get away, haven't you ever played Dungeons & Dragons." But I'd pick up a book if it had a Green Arrow appearance or back up feature so it might not have been in the miniseries. I do remember the bit where he has Count Vertigo tied up and is shooting progressively smaller fruit off his head. Afterwards he's thinking the Count's Pretty scrawny and could use some of his home cooked chilli. I think that compassion's one of the things that really sets Green Arrow apart as a character.
I think you're conflating two different tales. The Count Vertigo bit I remember well.

I really enjoyed Green Arrow in his 1970s-early 1980s kneejerk liberal prime when he was always flying off the handle and throwing a fit, quitting the JLA only to rejoin shortly afterwards, and arguing with Hawkman (a space cop), Flash (a police scientist), and Green Lantern (another space cop). Although the "Trial of the Flash" storyline was nearly 100% badly written and legally idiotic, one thing the writer got right was when Green Arrow voted to exonerate Flash (not that Flash had actually done anything wrong, mind you) when the Justice League was voting on whether to expel him.

Nice spot.!The image looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't place it.

I got Mike Zeck to sign that very issue when I met him a couple years ago.

I'm kinda shocked at how close those two covers are even down to the tag line of to the death!

I keep meaning to read that series
It's a blast. But you gotta embrace the crazy. Most of his works have something spiritual to it.
It's funny to talk about this, because I had Metabarons with me for a while. I read it once when I was younger, and came to the conclusion that it was garbage with great artwork. Years later, after reading Dune, I gave it another chance. And let me tell you... I love this.
Now I see that when you get more mature and start respecting different views on different subjects his works start to make a lot more sense. He will bring new ideas ( the crazy ) on the table and question the status quo on a lot of subjects, from society to art, and show you that none of It is set in stone. There are no formula's to how something has to be done, at least that's my interpretation of his works.

Contrary to spittingimage spittingimage , in comparison with his movies I believe he went easy on the comics. :hehe:
I'm interested in reading Incal, but at the moment Is a bit expensive for me.

4-J9jtLhOMg-oSkF4ZPINLz8WGRn2u4wG7uxXFn9N2eJxbYvRr2EViWDKzmDhp0B1DI3nfuIC2W1=s0

Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of.
And onto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow.
It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

It get's me hyped every time.
Funny thing is that in my country Conan got famous because of the comics, only later we got the books.

For any DC/Marvel fan... it's hard top the sheer fan-service and love of the Avengers vs. JLA series from 2003.

After Thor dies fighting pretty much the most insane array of Marvel and DC's super-heavyweight bad guys, and doing it solo. He tosses Mjolnir to none other than the last son of Krypton, who is wielding Cap's shield while Cap is commanding Aquaman's personal royal Atlantean battleship and telepathically via Martian Manhunter conducting the fight for all the JLA/Avengers combined...

And only Superman with Mjolnir has the power to shatter the forcefield keeping both teams from Krona... It is pure fan-love on so many goddamn layers... And George Perez art!!!

One of my favorite artists is Michael Golden... obviously his legendary run on Micronauts is what he's known for. But pretty much everything he's ever done is pure gold.

One of my favorite artists is Michael Golden... obviously his legendary run on Micronauts is what he's known for. But pretty much everything he's ever done is pure gold.

View attachment 8623

Unless I'm mistaken, Golden drew a bunch of issues of GI Joe and The 'Nam, right? If it's who I'm thinking of, he was one of my favourites of the Bronze Age

Yep! Michael Golden rarely gets talked about these days. I'll put his art up against *anyone*. Micronauts, GI Joe, and pretty much every other fill-in. His Marvel Fanfare 1-3 run was spectacular.

Fantastic Four #249 and #250 - Man and Superman. When Gladiator pursuing Skrulls lands in NYC, mistakes the FF for Skrulls. MAAAYHEM ENSUES!!!

View attachment 8623

I discovered the great Brit artist John Bolton through his work on the backup vignettes and back covers for the Classic X-Men reprints in the 80s.

Avengers #177... The Korvac Showdown

This comic affected me. Before the Infinity Gauntlet... Korvac whooping that ass on the Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy in this issue was intense. But the beginning of that issue really set it up. Written by Jim Shooter himself and art by the underrated David Wenzel (whom I always thought his style was very close, almost too lcose, to Sal Buscema)... anyhow... a truly amazing storyarc. This issue in particular is literally jam-packed - each panel is intense. They simply do not make comics like this anymore.

Poor Yellowjacket... that hole in his chest is definitely going to leave a scar.

This was actually the first thing I thought of when I originally saw this topic, but I didn't have a source image for it.

This was the first issue of X-Men I ever bought. Even after all these years, this is one of the finest sequences of battle art I ever saw in comics.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back