Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
So let's talk FATE supplements/settings.

Similar to Gurps I'm not that big of a Fate fan but I do dig a number of their settings/supplements and want to explore more.

There are several that look promising and I'm wondering if anyone has checked them out or run them.

My first introduction to Fate was the excellent Atomic Robo book. This is first class all the way. Reports that it didn't sell that well show that the world is a terrible place and the public are tasteless morons.

Robo-Cover-600px.jpg

Next up is Heavy Metal Thunder Mice, which aside from having the greatest name for an rpg ever, looks pretty cool. Still sitting on my OBS wishlist until someone inspires me to pull the trigger.

HMTM-Cover_color_w.jpg

Next up is Mecha vs. Kaiju. The concept sells itself imo but I want to hear from someone who has at least read it let alone played it first.

141809.jpg

Fate of Cthulhu, which pumps up the pulp action and tightens things into a time-travelling, destroy-the-elders campaign also sounds fun although I think I may just grab it for the campaign and run it using Pulp Cthulhu.

300031.jpg

Any others out there y'all recommend?

Last edited:
P.S. Regarding this section from the Mecha vs. Kaiju game:

'Play during any era of "kaiju eiga" (monster movie) using a complete Alternate History of Japan, from the creation of the first kaiju at the end of WWII through to the modern era. This timeline mirrors the famous giant monster films of history, and indeed assumes that every one of them actually happened.'

Now that is awesome and the kind of attention to detail and knowledge of genre I appreciate in a supplement/setting. Far too many seem to be designed by someone who is the genre equivalent of someone who says they 'love reggae' and you realize that means the only reggae album they own is Bob Marley's Legends greatest hits compilation.

Personally, I can bet that nobody is surprised that the ones I like the most are Tianxia and Jadepunk:grin:!
Especially the latter, I must add. Tianxia is more about a Fate treatment of the genre...but I don't have much use for that, lately, for reasons pertaining to my group.

Jadepunk is especially good since it offers a compelling setting with very good ideas. And it's such a hodge-podge of guns, martial arts, and crazy tech that it's what Far West should have been, IMO:shade:!

Last edited:
Of the ones above, the only one I’ve played in was a Fate of Cthulhu campaign - which last about 8 sessions or so.

It was OK, although, it was actually a bit more like The Terminator to play (time travel to avoid armageddon).

The ‘default’ setting I would probably choose is Shadow of the Century - 1980s style action heroes, which allows all the stunts and stuff you like, a bit like Feng Shui, without too many complications and the setting details are OK too. Most Fate games I have participated in are either action-orientated or supers in some way.

Beyond that, what I do like about Fate is that there a large range of cheap, pay-what-you-want, mini-settings. Some of these are very exotic or original to read at least, so good for inspiration.

Personally, I can bet that nobody is surprised that the ones I like the most are Tianxia and Jadepunk:grin:!
Especially the latter, I must add. Tianxia is more about a Fate treatment of the genre...but I don't have much use for that, lately, for reasons pertaining to my group.

Jadepunk is especially good since it offers a compelling setting with very good ideas. It's what Far West should have been, IMO:grin:!

Those both look promising, Tianxia looks to be more based purely on the classic kung fu films I love.

126883.jpg

Those both look promising, Tianxia looks to be more based purely on the classic kung fu films I love.

View attachment 29151
Yes it is - well, it's based on all kinds of wuxia, but this explicitly includes those classic kung-fu movies:shade:!

Important distinction, however, which was also noted in the book itself: in China itself, those movies are more along the lines of kungfupian (Bruce Lee), as opposed to wuxiapian (House of Flying Daggers). If you read a Bruce Lee biography, his movies were seen as distinct enough from the earlier wuxia that they were considered innovative in HK:grin:!

In practice, I suspect, most tables would run a heavy admixture of both...:tongue:
And Tianxia provides a good, workable engine that can run either, IME.

Still, I'd invite you to look at Far W...I mean, Jadepunk:devil:! A city where the population is crushed like in a China Miéville book, but has freedom fighters using fists and illegal weapons, guns very much included...it was written by an American, after all:evil:!

Let's just say I think it would be up your alley, OK:gunslinger:?

Of the ones above, the only one I’ve played in was a Fate of Cthulhu campaign - which last about 8 sessions or so.

It was OK, although, it was actually a bit more like The Terminator to play (time travel to avoid armageddon).
I've heard rumors this book actually started as a pitch for the Terminator RPG licence.

Beyond that, what I do like about Fate is that there a large range of cheap, pay-what-you-want, mini-settings. Some of these are very exotic or original to read at least, so good for inspiration.
Two of my favorites of these are Aether Sea, which has a Firefly-meets-Spelljammer vibe, and Sails fill of Stars, which is similar but more of an alternate take on Space:1889.

139872.jpg150022.jpg

Most of mine have been listed, but I have to add

maxresdefault.jpg
operators.jpg
interfacezero.jpg

Most of mine have been listed, but I have to add

View attachment 29156
It’s an interesting conversion of the rules (whereas Eclipse Phase 1st edition’s rules were pretty clunky), but it misses out a lot of the setting info from the original. You need to pick up A Time of Eclipse to go with it to get more of the setting fluff.

It does open up another question though: what settings, already published, would work better with Fate?

(not trying to start an argument with this one, just interested).

It’s an interesting conversion of the rules (whereas Eclipse Phase 1st edition’s rules were pretty clunky), but it misses out a lot of the setting info from the original. You need to pick up A Time of Eclipse to go with it to get more of the setting fluff.

It does open up another question though: what settings, already published, would work better with Fate?

(not trying to start an argument with this one, just interested).
I have all of the 1st edition and 2nd edition supplements, though I'm not running Eclipse Phase, just using some bits.

As far as the question, I'm not sure about better, but I'd like to see Leverage in Fate.

It may be a controversy to some, but I’d actually like to see a Fate-conversion of Mage: The Ascension at some point.
Personally, I think any of the storyteller/storypath games would work better in Fate. But I didn't bring up Mage as I think that Dresden Files shows that it could work, so it's low hanging fruit.

Personally, I think any of the storyteller/storypath games would work better in Fate. But I didn't bring up Mage as I think that Dresden Files shows that it could work, so it's low hanging fruit.
I did check out Dresden Files, and I like it, but the magic works like traditional hermetic ritual magic for the most part, in an urban fantasy setting. What I want is to translate the post-modern Sphere-based ‘magick’ along with Paradox backlashes. I’d also like something like the Ascension war conflict at its heart too.

I did check out Dresden Files, and I like it, but the magic works like traditional hermetic ritual magic for the most part, in an urban fantasy setting. What I want is to translate the post-modern Sphere-based ‘magick’ along with Paradox backlashes. I’d also like something like the Ascension war conflict at its heart too.
I wasn't saying exactly. That just pointed to the fact that you can make it sphere based (in fact, some of it is sphere based in that- it's just that it is more dangerous). To see an even better view of that, look at DFA.

I'd love to see someone who is fluent in Fate Accelerated and OD&D make a FAE version of OD&D.
There is a FAE version of pathfinder- it might make a good start.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back