Best place for finding players online

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Llew ap Hywel

Lord of Misrule
Reaction score
So my group have as always shied away from the brilliance that is Mythras. Since I have the time however I am toying with running a second game online in the not immediate but foreseeable future (sometime after gencon).

Whilst a couple of the night port over, where’s a good place to rustle up a couple of extra players?

The Mythras Tapatalk forum might work.The BRP forum might have some possible victims.

Roll20 has a large number of people participating. My RuneQuest 1 game has slowly gathered 6 players (with several additional who tried it for a few sessions). A big consideration is what time zone you're in and when you're able to run. Running my game in the late evening (start at 8:30 PM) in the Pacific Timezone has been my challenge (though recently we recruited an Australian player, it's nicely late morning in Western Australia...).

I tried Roll20 in the past and response was a bit anaemia to non D&D games. Is it better now?

I tried Roll20 in the past and response was a bit anaemia to non D&D games. Is it better now?
It can be slow to build up players, though I suspect if you were in a timezone compatible with the US east coast, or Europe, you would have a much easier time finding players. Recruiting outside Roll20 is also worthwhile, though it looks like only one of the current players for sure was recruited outside Roll20, another one said he was new to Roll20 so he may have found it initially via Google+ or my game may have been one of the first he found. I think I had one or two other recruits from Google+ or odd74 or Gringle's Pawnshop.

On the other hand, lots of folks express interest and then never commit. I suspect they are D&D players looking for another game and picking the first one that looks open and not thinking too much if they really want to play something other than D&D.

But with a better timezone, you should see 2-4 times as many potential players as I do. When I was wondering why I had so much trouble finding players and started to think about timezones, I checked, and found that 70% of the US population is in Central or Easter (guess why TV shows are always advertised for X Eastern/X-1 Central...) and only 16% or so in Pacific. Add in the late start and the even fewer people in the next two timezones west...

If you're on Facebook you could also try finding groups devoted to the particular game and seek Players there.
As mentioned, putting out a cattle call on Roll20 might get you sign-ups, but there's a chance they're just taste-testers who jump in/out of lots of games.

Last edited:
If you're on Facebook you could also try finding groups devoted to the particular game and seek Players there.
As mentioned, putting out a cattle call on Roll20 might get you sign-ups, but there's a good chance they're just taste-testers who jump in/out of lots of games.
I'd say have had at least one person actually interested for every two taste testers. The taste testers go away in a hurry when I start asking questions. My most recent recruit responded to the questions with "no, I really am interested" and thus we added the Aussie... I actually haven't had to waste much time on the taste-testers. Just be clear what your game is when responding to them, and if they really want to play in such a game, they'll persevere. And with that, I have only had one player explicitly drop out due to not liking the style. The rest at least hid under the timezone issues.

I'd say have had at least one person actually interested for every two taste testers.
As a Player I've actually had good luck with Roll20, finding groups running non-D&D games I'm interested in (though not any of the WOD games for some reason). But as a GM I'm scared of trying run a PUG... which I suppose means I should go ahead and do it.

As a Player I've actually had good luck with Roll20, finding groups running non-D&D games I'm interested in (though not any of the WOD games for some reason). But as a GM I'm scared of trying run a PUG... which I suppose means I should go ahead and do it.
Yea, go for it. I've found some good players there. Only one of my current players is from outside Roll20, and the guy who bailed because he didn't end up liking my style had also bailed from my OD&D play by post... I'm also playing in a game run by a long time fellow play by post player, and we recruited one of the Roll20 players (who I would now label a friend) into that game.

I'm currently running John Carter of Mars on Roll20, and the game I ran before that on Roll20 was Apocalypse World. No issues with either.

HI there @ Llew ap Hywel Y Mab Darogan I have had luck recruiting RL players on 3 different message boards catering to specific games (Vampire, SLA Industries, AS&SH) so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to find online players in the same manner. Of course, I invested time establishing myself within the communities and getting to know people; I didn't just roll in as a noob asking for players. This is a tried and true mid-to-long term strategy for recruiting players and might be better than fishing for randos on Roll20 or whatever.

Last edited:
Try posting your game on rpol.net. There used to be (and I assume still are) lots of Mythras players there.

There are plenty of D100 players in the UK, it's always been a popular system here. You have to get familiar with the various forums to know which might prove useful. Personally I've been to lots of UK cons so I got to know a good few of the people playing RPG's and it's relatively easy to pick up players from those people you already know. When lockdown ends next year you might want to put yourself out in the convention scene and get to know potential players. Cons that are fruitful include running games at Dragonmeet (December in London), Expo (early June NEC Birmingham), the various cons at the Garrison hotel in Sheffield, Grogmeet and various other minicons through the year.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back