Best RPG Covers of All Time

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My vote is for the Shadowrun covers of first and second editions. You've got probably the best snapshot of all the different facets of the game in one picture.

That is very true. My FLGS had a poster of the cover up on the wall weeks before the game came out. The second I saw the poster, I knew exactly what Shadowrun was.

zVnD8e3.jpg

Sadly, Halloween Jack is one of those cover characters that you can't play, or become, or even meet (Well... you could. Once.), but it's a bold, striking, cover.jack.jpg
I am so bored of the recent "three characters standing next to each other" gamebook cover fad :sad:

These are just awesome.

The V:TM, D&D, and Shadowrun covers take me back.

But how about some diceless love:

AD+Amber+RPG.JPG

Shadow Knight, largest pic I could find:

iu

And Rebma, the hope that never was:

Rebma.jpg

And finally, Lords of Gossamer & Shadow:

545_LoGaS2flat.jpeg

My favorite for D&D is from the Companion Set
TSR1013_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_-_Set_3_Companion_Rules.jpg

Better pic here
dragons21.jpg

Everything about it felt fantastic to me. Armored knight wielding a large magical sword against a huge green dragon in a very wild looking place, in the distance a very fairy tale castle.

Man, that's gorgeous.

The length of that sword, tho. :confused:

My favorite for D&D is from the Companion Set
TSR1013_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_-_Set_3_Companion_Rules.jpg

Better pic here
dragons21.jpg

Everything about it felt fantastic to me. Armored knight wielding a large magical sword against a huge green dragon in a very wild looking place, in the distance a very fairy tale castle.
Also the cover to the first Penhaligon (sp?) book.

15kYhyb.jpg

One of my first RPGs ever. As usual with Dark Eye covers, they had almost nothing to do with the setting itself, but at least this was before the mustachioed Elmore-clone era.

y4KwlW3.jpg

Apart from the name of the setting itself, this is still one of my favorites, as it just screamed "more historical than thou" in an era of cheesecake dragon fighters.

rOIDR5Z.jpg

And this is my favorite party. Diverse, unique and each of them has an animal familiar of sorts.

I preferred Ravenloft as a GM but the Brim Dark Sun art always impressed me the most.

Don't know how to link it but the Neeva image from the Freedom cover is the one I remember being pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah, Angus is usually wonderful, but Ive always had a hard time with that cover telling where the forehead ends and the hair begins

I had to do a double take myself. I was thinking "what a cool looking party except for the egghead on the left...Oh that's an elf??"

It gets better on the Arms Law cover, where the elf is just standing there, pondering meaningful things when the rest of the group is trying to bring down a golem. I love that elf.

fQUfHer.jpg

Bonus points for reminding me of J. Peterman from Seinfeld. Maybe the group will find an Urban Sombrero in the dark depths of the dungeon.

This is a totally great thread, really bringin' me back!
One of my faves, "GURPS: Bunnies & Burrows." Just look how pissed off those bunnies are!

cover_lg.jpg

I've always been a sucker for this one.

51ElmRoC12L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And this one, too

9781869893255-us.jpg

And here's another one I like

cover_lg.jpg

Weird how each one is bigger than the one before...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back