Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly what it says on the tin...

D%26D_1983_Basic_Rules_cover.jpg

WFRP_cover.jpg

pic506681.jpg

61SZYQG4FYL.jpg

call-of-cthulhu-rpg-role-playing.jpg

For my money, that D&D cover is the greatest ever. The solid red background, the awesome font, the Elmore art. A beauty and fitting you posted it first.

For my money, that D&D cover is the greatest ever. The solid red background, the awesome font, the Elmore art. A beauty and fitting you posted it first.

Yeah, its absolutely iconic. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of the best RPG covers

I do not like the dragon's weird horn in that one. I also think the ruby-eyed idol in the post right above this one is a better encapsulation of the D&D experience too, despite some technical shortcomings.

That Gamma World cover makes me want to play it right now, which is exactly what such a cover should do.

Perhaps a controversial choice, but I liked some of the later "faux elaborate ornamentation" covers from 3rd edition D&D. The 3.5 DMG and the Book of Exalted Deeds were my favorites (and that depiction of the BoED as an item of treasure is now canon in-game thanks to its illustration in the 5e DMG)

I have also noticed, surprisingly, that there are few-to-no good quality images of these books on google image search.

0zYl8WT.jpg

Perhaps a controversial choice, but I liked some of the later "faux elaborate ornamentation" covers from 3rd edition D&D. The 3.5 DMG and the Book of Exalted Deeds were my favorites (and that depiction of the BoED as an item of treasure is now canon in-game thanks to its illustration in the 5e DMG)

I have also noticed, surprisingly, that there are few-to-no good quality images of these books on google image search.

0zYl8WT.jpg

I thought they were good covers, my only real issue is the logo.

This is my favourite cover. It may not be the best technically but the style and substance really blew my mind and helped separate the RPG from what had come before.
Exalted_00Cover.jpg

And because you can't mention Exalted without Godbound, the cover of that RPG is pretty awesome too.
185959.jpg

Its does tell you exactly what the game is about as well as depict a critical point in the game's history.

My vote is for the Shadowrun covers of first and second editions. You've got probably the best snapshot of all the different facets of the game in one picture.

I love that book because I can pick it up and remember what Star Wars was like when I was a kid.

Before the dark times. Before the special editions.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back