Best social media platform for RPGs?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Yeti Spaghetti

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of ways to promote my forthcoming game books other than Instagram. I think they shadowbanned me.

Any advice? What's the best way to get news and updates out there in the RPG community?

Facebook still seems to be important to lot of designers, as does twitter and forum placement. The point is to reach people who might play and/or spend, so just figure out who those people are and go there. (I know, sounds easy and isn't. but hey...)

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, Facebook seems to offer some support, but I got off the platform last year and have no intention of giving Zuck any more of my business other than Instagram, especially now after getting shadowbanned. (Who's the say the same thing won't happen on a FB account?)

Twitter seems like it might be a good place to go. I'll probably end up branching out there.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, Facebook seems to offer some support, but I got off the platform last year and have no intention of giving Zuck any more of my business other than Instagram, especially now after getting shadowbanned. (Who's the say the same thing won't happen on a FB account?)

Twitter seems like it might be a good place to go. I'll probably end up branching out there.
TikTok seems to have a healthy dose of influencers using TikTok as a means to a end. As an example you may get lots of followers because you participate in heavy metal music communities with your ultimate goal being to plug your music to your followers. TikTok doesn't pay its content creators much at all. So that app is all about getting your name out there.

I'd put preference aside and do Facebook. It's probably got one of the larger market shares so use them for what they are. A tool.

I'd put preference aside and do Facebook. It's probably got one of the larger market shares so use them for what they are. A tool.

I may have to bite that bullet in order to push the Kickstarter, especially for the kind of old school project I'm working on, and FB trends older.

Most ttrpg designers seem to be on Twitter these days. Just mute those who annoy you and it isn't bad at all.

If you're going with Twitter I'd suggest that you have a professional account where you only post about your game. If you want to get involved in Twitter spats a separate account is best.

That's pretty much all I've been doing with the Instagram account so I will keep with that on Twitter. I had a Twitter account a couple years ago as part of a history project and did the same thing. I didn't venture beyond my purpose.

Never was there a statement more likely to foreshadow disaster

Ha! Yep it's a toilet but it has some advantages. Personally I would have been happy to just stay with Instagram but I've already had people asking me to branch out. And if the key on IG is hashtags but then you get shadowbanned for using too many (?) of them or using them too often (?), what are you supposed to do?

Already mentioned, but I used to find good stuff in Twitter before I got banned. Just stay out of politics and focus on RPG stuff to avoid shadowbans. Though, now that Musk is buying the platform who knows if that might still be necessary. Might end up going back there at some point, though, social media is cancer and a nasty time sink, so IDK.

I can only speak from my own experience but, outside of forums like this one and LAF, the place I most often learn about new game stuff I'd like is on the dedicated Facebook groups... such as the Dungeon Crawl Classics group.
Most of those groups are narrowly focused, with rules against posting politics or other diversions. 90% of what I see on FB are groups I joined... with my settings screening out all the random yelling and kitten photos posted by my enthusiastic friends.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back