Beyond the Wall: Greenedge IC

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Darkness had come too quickly. Storm clouds raced across the sky and shut out the light like hastily drawn curtains. The sheets of rain only worsened the view. Twilight was turned to midnight, broken only by the occasional blinding, deafening lightning.

Five kids scrambled blindly through the forest. Technically, they were adults as they were all past their fifteenth year. Yet it’s doubtful that these teens felt like adults this night. Only the fates know for sure but it’s likely that all of them wished they were home in bed.

It had started during a relaxing lunch. The idea had been put in their head to go to the Tower Tree, grab something, and rush home by nightfall. They all knew that the Tower Tree was ten miles into the New Green, a cursed, fairy filled forest. But familiarity breeds contempt; having group up next to the New Green, they thought they knew enough to evade danger.

Things started badly and quickly got worse. They left later than intended – chores to finish and supplies to gather. They had all been in the forest many times yet rarely quite so deeply. Wrong paths were taken and the forest was disorienting. Then came the storm. A cool spring day afternoon turned into a chilling soaked darkness. The dead leaves turned slick and slowed progress further. Each of them had slipped and fallen multiple times.

As it dawned on them that they would never make it to the Tower Tree and back before full night, they joked and egged each other on that they would spend the night in the tower, maybe the first to ever do so. That would be something to brag about to the rest of the village, after they got over their punishments for not coming back that night. Still, the idea was raised of turning around. In the end the decision to continue was made when they realized they were not alone. Something was behind them, following, slowly getting closer.

tree tower2.png

An explosive lightning flash revealed that they had reached the goal. The Tower Tree was right before them. The root and branch covered ruin loomed out of the forest. Some told that it had been a palace from the Old Old Kingdom. In Truth, it had been a minor outpost and the capitol was another hundred miles into the forest. Minor or not, their goal and its possible safety lifted their spirits. All they had to was rush through the foreboding doorway and up to their goal.

When their ears recovered from the thunder, they could hear the heavy breathing of their pursuit which was nearly upon them.

door under tree2.jpg


Situation: the doorway is one turn away if you run, two if you walk. Running requires a dex roll (roll under your dex score) to avoid tripping on roots and wet leaves and falling unless you’re an elf who can see in the dark. If you walk, the pursuer(s) are likely to catch up to you.



We’re going to continue the collaboration for a bit. On your first post, please add in the part of the story next to your name. Also whatever action you’re taking.

Initiative Order (the baddies will go last)

Wanderer – Who or what is pursuing you? It could be one or multiple. It needs to be big enough that the group is tempted to run from it but not an auto-tpk.

Pulg -What is in the top of the tower that you are trying to get to? You risked going 10 miles into the forest to get it so it should be cool and be able to help you with something.

Silvyr – What NPC in the village talked to you that day and put the idea in your head that the thing is in the Tower Tree. What did they say about the thing? Also, what is your familiar doing?

Deandrea- You’re all worried that the pursuer(s) are in league with a greater threat. What is this threat? Also, is your ally with you? If so, he'll go on your action.

Garrison – A sudden event happens that changes things. It could be good, bad, or just something that makes things more complicated.
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
The Wanderer knows better than to waste breath on speech when he can use it to run instead. There's nothing I can say that will help the others anyway. Deeds, not words! Pointless blather is for humans and hobbits. Besides, it might attract attention to me and make me a primary target rather than just one of several prospective meals for this hungry pack of dire wolves. Dire wolves...they don't belong here. What would bring them to these parts? No time to deliberate on that topic. Fortunately I am an elf and the darkness is no impediment to gaining the potential safety of that tower. Therefore I run through the doorway as quickly and safely as I can.

Once there, I will see whether there is any way to bar the door or else climb to safety--failing either of those, I will ready my bow and arrow for defense (or, if the wolves are too close for that, ready my dagger).

OOC question: What does the spell Pass Without Trace do? And if the skill Stealth helps, I'll use it in my attempt to escape. Also, if dire wolves are inappropriate I'm happy to change it--it's just the first thing that sprung to mind.I

Edit: just fixed typos created by autocorrect, no changes to content.
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Once through the door, The Wanderer doesn't see anything that could bar the door. He does see a spiral staircase leading up. From outside, he spotted windows higher up that a bow could be shot through. There are also also many nooks and small rooms that could be used to hide.

ooc:
climbing the stairs or using stealth will have to wait until next turn.
wolves are great.

Range: Touch
Duration: 1 minute/level
Save: no
The mage’s touch carries the blessing of the earth, and the
target can then pass through any terrain, whether mud
or snow or forest land, without leaving tracks or prints
of any kind.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
9,911
Reaction score
16,559
Pulg runs. Dex Roll = 18 (Dex 16) lol! If possible he tries to use Stealth to hide in the nearby underbrush.

At the top of the Tower Tree is a Silver Apple, a mystical and magical artifact that is supposed to bring good harvests and luck to the community.
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
OOC: Sorry, was I supposed to roll to run? If so I got a 13 on a d20. Dexterity is 14.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
ooc: elves don't have to roll as they can see in the dark to avoid tripping.

A root catches Pulg's toe and he goes down, cutting his run short. His momentum is converted to a slide in the mud which he redirects to sliding under nearby bush. Hopefully, a wolf will not find him there.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,723
Reaction score
2,360
Watching the Wanderer rush on, with Pug behind him. Silvyr worries after his other friends, while he runs he holds his spear steady as an aid to his balance and maintains his pace. Though he can see he knows his friends cannot so He concentrates but keeps moving while he recites the words and calls for the blue-white on the end of his spear. They are all in this together after all. He is slowed by the need to cast the cantrip so his tiny familiar is back a bit to watch for danger, staying high enough hopefully to go unreached by whatever follows--but to also alert him if he should speed ahead. (Int: 12 roll to cast 10)
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
ooc: Silvyr's light makes it so that no on has to make a dex roll to run.

ooc: Silverlion Silverlion , what NPC told you about the Silver Apple?
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
Deandrea was supposed to be the rational one, the one not given to impulsiveness, the one who followed (and enforced) the rules. But she was not immune to the cajolings of her friends, and so she found herself with them too deep in the forest, where danger beyond their understanding lurked.

She wished deeply that Jonas was here with them. He was older, of course, more experienced in the ways of the world. But someone had to stay behind and protect the village while they embarked on this fool's quest.

The dire wolves... there were rumors of a dark fey who commanded such creatures, an inhuman Huntsman who used the hounds to harry his prey until he moved in for the kill.

Grateful that Silvyr had illuminated the immediate area - she did not fancy her chances of avoiding tripping herself on the undergrowth while running in the darkness - Deandrea sprints into the entrance of the Tower Tree. As soon as she is inside, she stops as quickly as she can, and turns around with her spear facing outward to defend the doorway while the others get inside, using it as a choke point if necessary.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
ooc: " inhuman Huntsman who used the hounds to harry his prey until he moved in for the kill. " is scarier than I would have come up with for the starting adventure. This will be fun. I just hope the wolves don't finish things too early.

Garrison is up..
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,723
Reaction score
2,360
"Someone faster, see if you find and help Pulg if you can! I'm not sure where he slid!" As he thinks of the Silver apples they were told would be here by the Dwarf tinker Grengrun Cragborn, once around a festival fire, hoping the danger is indeed worthwhile.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
OOC: hey, I specifically mentioned 'rumors'... lots of wiggle-room there.
 

Tommy Brownell

You're Playing The Game WRONG
Joined
Apr 30, 2017
Messages
2,734
Reaction score
6,230
Garrison Silverscales starts running with his compatriots, eyes darting back behind him. That protector instinct swells up and he intentionally drops a step behind. If an enemy reaches them, let it reach him first and taste his blade. Garrison deftly dodges a hooked branch buried in the leaves, realizing that he would have likely stumbled to the forest floor and placed himself at a huge disadvantage if not for Silvyr's light.

He falls in line next to Deandrea and says "I have no doubt of your prowess, but it is not in my blood to leave a companion behind to watch my back."

He reaches for the Eternal Flame...

...when an animalistic howl rips through the forest to Garrison's left, and the brush and smaller trees crash at this approach. Garrison scans his memory to recall if this is the hunting ground of another predator, a bear perhaps, but damned if he can recall. Too much time on the river and not enough in the woods.
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
9,911
Reaction score
16,559
Pulg waits to see if the wolves detect his scent, if they do he will run for the Tree Tower entrance or up a tree, whichever gives him the best chance of survival.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Garrison's memory was only partially correct.

Silvyr slowed down to cast a spell to help the others. He has closed to within twenty feet of the doorway but his situation has quickly gotten desperate. A wolf has come up behind him and started snatching at his clothes. Another wolf has raced ahead to immediately in front of him, snarling and ready to bite.

There are three more wolves twenty feet behind the first pair, closing quickly. All of the wolves are heavily built, a bit taller and much thicker than a typical wolf. But the middle wolf of the three is like nothing any of the teens have ever seen. It is the size of a pony. Its eyes seem to radiate a near human intelligence bent towards baleful evil. It must be a worg, no mere wolf. It's dark schemes would account for the dire wolves in the area and hounding the group.

Dire_Wolf_01.png


Initially, all of them seem focused on either Silvyr or the doorway. None of them have looked in the direction of the bush that Pulg is hiding under.

The crash and roar from an approaching beast is followed by a keening sound like the cry of a petulant child. Clawing its way over a shelf of rock or ruin is a creature larger than many bears but much different. It's covered in feathers and has a beak. The long claws look they could rip flesh as easily as a bear's. The worg and the two rear wolves turn to face the superior opponent.

99c807715b88881502ec723bc2983a5a.jpg


ooc: back to the top of the order with The Wanderer.
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
The Wanderer dashes upstairs to find a window through which he can fire his bow at a dire wolf, preferably whichever one looks closest to making a meal of one of my companions. If everyone appears to have made it into the tower, I'll instead try to find a room with a door that that can be secured or else a good nook in which to hide.

OOC: I'm assuming I won't be able to fire until the next round, but if a d20 roll is needed for any of my current actions I got a 3.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
The Wanderer finds that there are roots throughout the structure but he manages to reach the second floor. He peels a root away from a window sill and has a clear view outside the doorway where he can see Silvyr being harassed by wolves, the large worg, and the even larger owlbear. He has a clear shot at all of them.

Voros Voros Pulg is up next.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
9,911
Reaction score
16,559
Pulg makes a dash for the Tree Tower entrance while the wolves and other beast face-off.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Pulg makes it safely into the tower while all the opponents are occupied.

ooc: Silvyr's turn.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,723
Reaction score
2,360
Silvyr will try and hurry ahead though if the beast is to close his owl should alert him and he'd rather turn and brace his spear against attack if its that close.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Silvyr finds that the pair of wolves are too close and hounding him too closely to rush away.

ooc: your main choices are make an attack, prep so you get first attack if they attack on their turn, or rush for the door and they each get an attack on you. Your owl can help you.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,723
Reaction score
2,360
I will prep for the first attack my owl will distract it as best it can. "I don't want to harm you beasts, turn back!"
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
(results to be determined on their turn).

Deandrea's turn.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
Taking a deep breath, Deandrea steps out of the doorway and moves into the fray, trying to put her spear between the two oncoming wolves and the running Silvyr - she would like nothing more for the wolves to stop short of her weapon, but she will brace for impact should the wolves charge ahead anyways.

Attack roll (if needed): 1d20+4=17
Spear damage (if applicable): 1d6+4=5
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
ooc: Garrison's action, then we'll see what happens.
 

Tommy Brownell

You're Playing The Game WRONG
Joined
Apr 30, 2017
Messages
2,734
Reaction score
6,230
Garrison lets out a howl and rushes forward, realizing his friend's sacrifice in lighting up the area put him in danger, The Eternal Flame seeking wolf flesh.

Attack Roll (if needed): 1d20+3 = 17
Long sword damage (if needed): 1d8+2 = 8.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
The leading wolf reacts to Deaandrea's movement and turns to charge her. It then learns what a spear is as the blade bounces down its shoulder blade. Before it can recover, Garrison's blade comes down and finishes it.

The trailing wolf grabs Silvyr's leg but turns away before it can cause serious damage as it is clawed on the back by a tiny owl. Silvyr's spear fails to find its target but the distraction is enough that he scoots behind Garrison and Deandrea.

The owlbear leaps and lands on the nearest wolf in the back, pinning it but not killing it , loosening it's grip as the trapped creature kicks at it. The worg lunges at the owlbear but fails to get through all the feathers.

ooc: Silvyr takes 2 pts of damage. Back to The Wanderer
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
I'll shoot an arrow at whichever opponent best meets these criteria: (1) endangers a friend and (2) is within range. If none meets the criteria, I'll hold off until one does.

OOC: assuming I need to roll a d20, I got a 17. I have a +1 Dexterity bonus but I don't know if it applies to missile weapons here as it does in normal D&D. I also have an Elven bow with +1 to hit and +1 to damage.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
The Wanderer's arrow strikes the wolf which had been harassing Silvyr. (4 hp damage) The wolf spins around looking for the enemy.

ooc: Pulg's turn.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,723
Reaction score
2,360
The Wanderer's arrow strikes the wolf which had been harassing Silvyr. (4 hp damage) The wolf spins around looking for the enemy.
OOC: Is that damage to Silvyr?
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
9,911
Reaction score
16,559
Pulg dash up to where Dion sits with his bow, unsure of what he can do at this distance to help.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
At the Wanderer's words Pulg can't help notice the deep shadows and strange root patterns, accented by a occasional lightning and a single ray from Sivlyr's spear. He's pretty sure it's just more roots but the lumps in the the corner look like a pile of snakes.

ooc: Silvyr's turn.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,723
Reaction score
2,360
I make a strike with my spear trying to drive the wolf away, or into the Owlbears claws. As long as they are fighting I won't need to and can retreat carefully. (...! Nat 20 with Spear)
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Silvyr manages to get his spear under the wolf, causing it to flip over and roll into the owlbear. Both the owlbear and the wolf are surprised by this.
This gives Silvyr time to retreat.

ooc: Leandrea next.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
OOC: was the wolf that Silvyr just attacked one of the pair that Deandrea and Garrison have been dealing with, or one of the other ones?
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
ooc: the other of the pair. You can Garrison teamed to kill one. Now. Silvyr pushed the other next to the owlbear. If you want to attack any wolves, you'll have to get close the owlbear and the worg.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top