Black Void

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Silverlion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So, on a friend's recommendation I picked up Black Void. It sounded awesome, I ended up disappointed and returning it (to Amazon.) Because it was a fantasy game. It seems to be a really solid "Lovecraftian" themed fantasy game. The system was solid and traditional, but relatively simple, lots of neat species/races. Humans were swept away from Earth in the distant past by a Lovecraftian event and ended up spread out only to slowly regather themselves after centuries. The interesting magic system seemed well done, it just wasn't what I was looking for--though it came very close. I was hoping it had a more SF bent. On its surface it sounded like Eldritch Skies/Ashen Stars, but darker and more moody and thematic. But alas it was too core fantasy at its heart.

So has anyone else picked it up? What did you think? I mean, if I were in the market for a fantasy game of any kind right now, I'd be more than happy to own it. However, I'm just not. I'm more into Sci-Fi and other things.

Does anyone know any solid space-horror with Lovecraftian elements? Or other dark and twisty things?

Never heard of it. Please tell us more.

I got an email from Modiphius this morning about the QuickStart being available on DTRPG. D12 System, surprisingly.

SYSTEM

BLACK VOID uses an original ruleset. “Simplicity grants diversity” is the primary maxim behind the Black Void RPG system. The mechanics are based on a few basic principles, making the rules easy to grasp and implement, which in the end gives more time for the fun bit, namely playing the game.

D12 BASED RULES SYSTEM: Actions are resolved by a single roll using a twelve-sided dice to determine their success or failure. Actions have a difficulty rating, which is the value the dice-roll must equal or exceed for the action to be successful. Rolls are modified by adding Trait, ability and conditional modifiers.

A key feature is that actions can be associated with differing Traits and skills - enabling players to adopt their individual style depending on circumstances or personal preference.

EASY AND FLEXIBLE CHARACTER CREATION; TACTICAL FAST-PACED COMBAT SYSTEM; NONLINEAR AND VERSATILE CHARACTER PROGRESSION; ASCENSION AND INFLUENCE; POWERS: The quickstart features a simplified version of Blood Rituals. Bloodletting, which enables the characters to gain boons and fortunes that have a direct impact on the player characters

Seems there is also a free adventure to go along with the free quickstart. I went and snagged both, but probably won't read it until later this weekend. I had work last night, so I need a few hours of shut eye before I take care of some things, and finishing Strange Tales of Songling is still on my agenda first.

Seems there is also a free adventure to go along with the free quickstart. I went and snagged both, but probably won't read it until later this weekend. I had work last night, so I need a few hours of shut eye before I take care of some things, and finishing Strange Tales of Songling is still on my agenda first.
You've got your priorities straight:tongue:!

Never heard of it. Please tell us more.
I wish I could, I mostly skimmed it looking for SF stuff. But the Void itself is more taking a person or a vessel (though there are special Void ships mentioned) through places where tears open and traveling in the absolute dark hoping to find out what's on the other side. I wasn't SF enough for me to give it a more complete read through other than note some of the interesting threats and (maybe) PC races beyond humanity.

It felt like a really good simple traditional system, with some solid stuff behind it for Sword & Sorcery in a very dark version of the Dreamlands, or other realms where fantasy and Lovecraft collide.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back