Blades in the Dark?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about this game or what is it based on? I've read that it's inspired by the Apocalypse games (I've read about those games but I'm far from an expert). I was skimming a quick start I found online and the premise interested me. Anyone have any thoughts?

I took a read through one of the kickstarter-era quickstart docs, but haven't read the final version, so my take on it at the moment would be vague and untrustworthy. One of my group plans to demo/intro during our August get-together weekend. If somebody hasn't by then, I'll give a play report.

My group's playing it right now — I'm sitting it out for baby-related reasons — and they're having an absolute blast.

It's PbtA-ish? The whole playbook structure is there. The resolution mechanic is different.

You play a crew of rogues in Duskwall, a very evocative setting. I'll let the book do the talking:
The game takes place in the cold, foggy city of Doskvol (aka Duskwall or “the
Dusk”). It’s industrial in its development. Imagine a world like ours during the
second industrial revolution of the 1870s—there are trains, steam-boats, printing
presses, simple electrical technology, carriages, and the black smog of chimney
smoke everywhere. Doskvol is something like a mashup of Venice, London, and
Prague. It’s crowded with row-houses, twisting streets, and criss-crossed with
hundreds of little waterways and bridges.

The city is also a fantasy. The world is in perpetual darkness and haunted by
ghosts—a result of the cataclysm that shattered the sun and broke the Gates
of Death a thousand years ago. The cities of the empire are each encircled by
crackling lightning towers to keep out the vengeful spirits and twisted horrors
of the deathlands. To power these massive barriers, the titanic metal ships of
the leviathan hunters are sent out from Doskvol to extract electroplasmic blood
from massive demonic terrors upon the ink-dark Void Sea.

You’re in a haunted Victorian-era city trapped inside a wall of lightning powered
by demon blood.

Each player chooses a role in the crew, but the group as a whole also chooses a criminal niche (assassins, smugglers, thieves, or even a cult) and gets a character sheet of its own.

Faction play is a huge deal, as the game is essentially about building a criminal empire.

Rotating GMs. People seem to be enjoying this one in particular. I suppose being a very focused game makes it easier.

Yes, that's what I got out of reading the PDF I found. I was thinking of sinking the $ to buy the full game to get into it more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back