Blame! RPG / Evolution Pulse

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lessa

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Some time ago we talked about an RPG adaptation of Blame! and I sweared I've seen one but didn't remember it at the time. Well, I stumbled upon it again just yesterday. It's called Evolution Pulse and while not a straight/official adaptation, it's a pretty good "spiritual" one, nailing even the aesthetics down. It's clear the authors' love for the manga. It's a Fate Core/Accelerated game from Italy that was translated to english in 2017.

The best preview I could find is actually the teaser for the Brazilian version (together with it's page)

Basically, in the distant future humanity found a "black box" in antactica that, after opened, released some sort of reality warping substance that killed most life on the planet and mutated the rest. What's left of humanity is now hidden in bunker communities and controlled by powerful AIs. There's 3 of such described in the book, with each AI shaping it's respective community organism differently to deal with the infection/threat out there in their own way. The players are members of those societies sent outside to explore/collect/protect remains of the original humans that were extinct, and other tasks.

There's also a supplement introducing new player options, but it seems to be still undergoing translation.

2zodbww.png

evolution-pulse-echi-oscuri-versione-digitale.jpg

Evolution_Pulse_Personagens.png

Evolution_Pulse_Hekaths.png

banner_hekath.jpg

banner_obscura.jpg

Whoah!!!

About 15 years ago I discovered Blame! as a manga sold at a little bookstore here in Quebec. Nobody that I knew cared about it, not even my anime friends. I read whatever I could and it eventually disappeared from my memory.

Suddenly, within the past month I discovered that people really like it! It has an anime series! And now an RPG?!

I’m surprised but happy. You can bet that I’ll be watching this like a hawk.

Thanks for sharing!!

The official italian website is this one:

Evolution Pulse

while you can buy the books here:

EP book
Echi Oscuri book
Valhalla Rising book

but as you say, these are all in italian. It's also possible to buy just the pdf.

Going from the descriptions on the website, the first expansion ("Echi Oscuri" = dark echoes) sounds like a basic expansion book of sorts, with further details on the base book archetypes and a bunch of scenarios for the GM. There's also a set of rules for solo play.

The second expansion, Valhalla Rising, has more details on the 3 AIs, a few more archetypes, and a system of "agendas and connections" to help the GM use the AIs and integrate them into the game.

By the way, if you guys/gals didn't see it yet, please watch the Netflix movie. It's far from a masterpiece, but what it does get right (ambience, vistas, music), it does stupendously well.

The Cibo track speaks for itself:

Last edited:
About 15 years ago I discovered Blame! as a manga sold at a little bookstore here in Quebec. Nobody that I knew cared about it, not even my anime friends. I read whatever I could and it eventually disappeared from my memory.

Suddenly, within the past month I discovered that people really like it! It has an anime series! And now an RPG?!
I read it... last year? The year before? ...in a website where it was offered as a freebie to convince people to register. I got the impression it's well-known and liked now, so its popularity has grown since you encountered it.

I’m definitely not being all hipster-like « i liked it before it was cool ». I’m just pleased that it’s finally getting known around the broader geek hobby.

Damn now I wish I hadnt given some of those books away...

One that I still own was kind of like the Road Warrior, in which society hadn’t fully collapsed yet. A prequel of sorts. Really cool stuff.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back