Dick Butkus
Rip Torn
Vin Diesel
Sting

actual person I met:
Darden Batto

and, of course, Baron Trump.

Last edited:
of fanatically loyal but comically incompetent minions.

In Hero Game System (Champions, Super Agents, Pulps) we call those Dependent NPCs. You might have minions (which you bought with points), but you have these couple of guys that have been with you for a while and you just can not bring yourself to dump them into the tank of lethal animals.

In Hero Game System (Champions, Super Agents, Pulps) we call those Dependent NPCs. You might have minions (which you bought with points), but you have these couple of guys that have been with you for a while and you just can not bring yourself to dump them into the tank of lethal animals.
Err, in GURPS Dependents are people that actually depend on you, like, you know, kids, old parents in a setting with no social system to speak of, a body servant with no other useful skills to feed himself with, and so forth.
And it's a disadvantage, you have to take care of them! No dumping them into any lethal animals tank!

Are Dependents an advantage in Champions, like an inferior variant of minions?

Olivier Legrand ? :goof:
Désolé, M. Legrand...j'imagine plutôt un agent de police:shade:!

Err, in GURPS Dependents are people that actually depend on you, like, you know, kids, old parents in a setting with no social system to speak of, a body servant with no other useful skills to feed himself with, and so forth.
And it's a disadvantage, you have to take care of them! No dumping them into any lethal animals tank!

Désolé, M. Legrand...j'imagine plutôt un agent de police:shade:!
Ah, zat means my cover iz blown, sacrebleu!

In champion (or hero) DNPCs are people you "care" about who get involved in your adventures. So they will get in trouble (or complicate things) on frequency (8-11-14-). See you can have the GURPs equivalent of Dependents, but they don't normally get involved in your adventures. (Unless the GM is being a #$!@#$!.) They do not impact your point, nor your adventures. If they impact your adventuring life (Don't Wander off The Doctor Says) and you have to protect them, save them, keep them from harm, or can't kill them/ get rid of them, they are DNPCs.

This minion of DNPC quality came from Lex Luthor's incompetent minion (Superman 1 or 2, w/ Christopher Reeves) . He was obviously a disadvantage. But Lex kept him around. (He screws up or makes things complicated on his activation). Now a villain can have competent minion (probably bought with points). However, if he has ones that make his "adventuring" complicated, they might be DNPCs.

In champion (or hero) DNPCs are people you "care" about who get involved in your adventures. So they will get in trouble (or complicate things) on frequency (8-11-14-). See you can have the GURPs equivalent of Dependents, but they don't normally get involved in your adventures. (Unless the GM is being a #$!@#$!.) They do not impact your point, nor your adventures. If they impact your adventuring life (Don't Wander off The Doctor Says) and you have to protect them, save them, keep them from harm, or can't kill them/ get rid of them, they are DNPCs.

This minion of DNPC quality came from Lex Luthor's incompetent minion (Superman 1 or 2, w/ Christopher Reeves) . He was obviously a disadvantage. But Lex kept him around. (He screws up or makes things complicated on his activation). Now a villain can have competent minion (probably bought with points). However, if he has ones that make his "adventuring" complicated, they might be DNPCs.
...thank you. Somehow that made the GURPS ads/disads system seem straightforward, but I'll chalk up my lack of understanding to general lack of experience with Champions:thumbsup:!

Long ago in Hotlanta, Georgia, the husband worked with a fellow named Frederick Ulysses Chester Kelly.

That's definitely a name for some kind of character in some kind of Bond-like universe; it's a name ready for an on-screen one-liner.

The Colombian cocaine-baron Pablo Escabar lived a lifestyle a bit like a Bond villain.
Maybe not when he was on the rise, but by the time he was cresting he had a luxurious socialite/sociopolitical lifestyle.

He also had lots of cool monikers: El Pablito (Little Pablo), El Paisa Petirrojo de Medellin (The Local Robin Hood of Medellin), Don Pablo (Sir Pablo), El Padrino (The Godfather), El Senor (The Lord), El Magico (The Magician), and El Zar de la Cocaina (The Tsar/King of Cocaine). Probably lots of others.

Last edited:
The Colombian cocaine-baron Pablo Escabar lived a lifestyle a bit like a Bond villain.
Maybe not when he was on the rise, but by the time he was cresting he had a luxurious socialite/sociopolitical lifestyle.

He also had lots of cool monikers: El Pablito (Little Pablo), El Paisa Petirrojo de Medellin (The Local Robin Hood of Medellin), Don Pablo (Sir Pablo), El Padrino (The Godfather), El Senor (The Lord), El Magico (The Magician), and El Zar de la Cocaina (The Tsar/King of Cocaine). Probably lots of others.
Needless nitpicking, but "tsar" actually translates to "emperor", which is above "king"...no need to demote the late Escobar:grin:!

Needless nitpicking, but "tsar" actually translates to "emperor", which is above "king"...no need to demote the late Escobar:grin:!
Yes being a nitpicky gamer myself, I'm also aware of that, heh heh !!!

But it's not my translation - the mainstream US media were the ones that translated that moniker incorrectly in English, calling him "The King of Cocaine", because it probably was more catchy

Last edited:
Yes being a nitpicky gamer I'm also aware of that, heh heh !!!

But it's not my translation - the mainstream US media were the ones that translated that moniker incorrectly in English, calling him "The King of Cocaine", because it probably was more catchy
"The Emperor of Cocaine" is just as catchy, and more impressive, IMO. So I'm betting on the source of the mistranslation being "the ones making the translation didn't know the meaning/that there's a difference at all"...pfft, European titles, what did England have? A King? Fine, king it is:shade:!

"The Emperor of Cocaine" is just as catchy, and more impressive, IMO. So I'm betting on the source of the mistranslation being "the ones making the translation didn't know the meaning/that there's a difference at all"...pfft, European titles, what did England have? A King? Fine, king it is:shade:!
yeah spot on correct!
It would of been anything to sell the newspapers, heh heh

“King of Cocaine” has alliteration. Journalists love alliteration and rhymes.
As a journalist, I suspect I know what my colleagues tend to like, and how they think in general...:shade:

And hence my opinion, shared above:devil:.

yeah spot on correct!
It would of been anything to sell the newspapers, heh heh
:thumbsup:

It is the Doctor Doom Meme. It is not actually illegal to take over the world. Generally, it is only illegal if you try to take over a country you are a citizen in.

It is illegal, in most cases, to start a war. So if you can take over without a full-on military action, you can avoid that tribunal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To be honest, Rami Malek sound like a new generation bond villain.

Oh I found a couple more (implied)
James Patrick March
John List (The most mundane names inspired Bond. So maybe we can take steps back into that origin... plus this name has haunting echos)
Keyser Soze

Last edited:
Technically if you manage to take over the entire world, it wouldn't be illegal because at that point the laws are yours to make.

It's like my comment when people call something "murder" when it wasn't done illegally. If you killed someone legally (such as in self defense), then it isn't murder, because murder is by definition illegally killing someone.

That isn't to say you can't have moral opinions on whether the killing was right or wrong, it just isn't actually murder.

It is the Doctor Doom Meme. It is not actually illegal to take over the world. Generally, it is only illegal if you try to take over a country you are a citizen in.

It is illegal, in most cases, to start a war. So if you can take over without a full-on military action, you can avoid that tribunal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To be honest, Rami Malek sound like a new generation bond villain.

Oh I found a couple more (implied)
James Patrick March
John List (The most mundane names inspired Bond. So maybe we can take steps back into that origin... plus this name has haunting echos)
Keyser Soze

Considering Rami Malek played a Bond villain and the villain name is a worse Bond villain name than Rami Malek ... I think you're on to seomthing.

Good for him. My city is littered with utilitarian Brutalist public buildings, each a bigger eyesore than the next.

Mine too. Along with unfriendly buildings made of triangular glass panes that look like video game glitches (yet are always dingy on the inside), and strange blobby things that I suspect crawled out of a deep ocean trench and expired of explosive decompression. Would it kill architects to design something that isn't ugly, virtueless, pretentious crap for once?

Technically if you manage to take over the entire world, it wouldn't be illegal because at that point the laws are yours to make.
The same logic has applied to countries in the past, too...or so I've heard:shade:.

It's like my comment when people call something "murder" when it wasn't done illegally. If you killed someone legally (such as in self defense), then it isn't murder, because murder is by definition illegally killing someone.

That isn't to say you can't have moral opinions on whether the killing was right or wrong, it just isn't actually murder.
And the relevant Divine Commendment's proper translation is "thou shall not murder":angel:.
So the arguments that all killing is wrong are amusingly more Buddhist or Folk Christian in nature than actually Christian, much to the surprise of some people I've discussed it with:grin:.

Mine too. Along with unfriendly buildings made of triangular glass panes that look like video game glitches (yet are always dingy on the inside), and strange blobby things that I suspect crawled out of a deep ocean trench and expired of explosive decompression. Would it kill architects to design something that isn't ugly, virtueless, pretentious crap for once?
Preach it:thumbsup:!

Carlton Magnuson

My headcanon is the family made money in computing systems, but eventually lost the company (due to declining mainframe sales). Despite being a genius, he has had no success in the entrepreneurial space. His latest scheme is currently a cover for his control of BlackRocInvestment systems technology infrastructure, banking and corporate systems, and military systems across the world. (Which is a shame because the cover products would actually be successful).
[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
I have family with that last name, so it's a stretch for me personally. :smile: But I can see it.
Magnuson Electronics was an old school electronics company that did not do well after the 80s/90s shifts in the semiconductor and internet front companies. The post was inspired by the activities of many of the children of the founders of those early old school electronic companies that did well, but did not succeed as the electronic industry changed.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back